Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

Dine at Vine

When we last left off, James and I were on the pier doing a little fishing and crabbing. We came back at 5 o’clock so that I could get ready to take Judy to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner: “Vine”.

Here’s photographic proof that we at least cleaned up before going out.

IMG_9566_zpsem8bxyqu.jpg

We left the kids with some frozen meals that we'd bought for them on our grocery run the night before. On our way to Vine, we stopped at Publix for aloe and oatmeal for Marlene. We always seem to have one kid who gets too much sun, but they take turns in who’ll be the one each time.

At Vine, we were seated at the same table as last year. They started us out with some bread that looked more like buns, if you know what I mean.

IMG_9567_zpsavb4p2m4.jpg

Judy looking over the menu.

IMG_9568_zpspzytfno1.jpg

We had an octopus appetizer (and brussel sprouts and corn relish). I honestly don’t remember how I liked this appetizer, but I had octopus again in northern Spain about a year ago (it’s called “pulpo” there) and decided that I don’t like it. It’s just too tough and chewy.

IMG_9570_zpsagwskm2c.jpg

Judy and her favorite Mickey necklace.

IMG_9571_zpshploackd.jpg

The china at Vina is an eclectic mix of designs. This Horse plate was definitely photo-worthy.

IMG_9573_zps6dvoukzw.jpg

Judy again got their caprese salad.

IMG_9575_zpstpgvg4sp.jpg

Now I don’t mean to shame Via Napoli, but as a refresher, here the caprese salad she received there a few days earlier.

IMG_9485_zpsbicnhy60.jpg

Granted, Via Napoli isn’t a “Signature” dining location at DisneyWorld, but I think this comparison shows that they could up their game a little bit.

We received these little palate-cleansing sorbets before the entrée’s were served.

IMG_9577_zpsjzbcp7gm.jpg

Judy had salmon and scallop, and it looks like some baby bok choy on her plate. I cannot think of the term “baby bok choy” without the song from the Chili’s ad, promoting baby back ribs, running through my head: “I want my baby back, baby back, baby back”, but replacing “back” with “bok”.

IMG_9579_zpstso1xobc.jpg

I had the butterfish dish that Judy had last year. I had tasted hers back then and wished I’d ordered it – I didn’t make that mistake twice!

IMG_9580_zps01vjjdje.jpg

These dishes were both awesome. After cleaning our plates, just short of picking them up and licking them, we ordered some coffee and tea to have with our desserts.

IMG_9583_zpssbxbhseu.jpg

Judy had the panna cotta dessert.

IMG_9584_zpslnwadh6f.jpg

I had berries and ice cream. The dish came with this long ice cream cone-type of thing sticking out of it.

IMG_9586_zpsaluzedbe.jpg

IMG_9585_zpsu38nnpcb.jpg

After making my way into the center of my dessert, you can see the real goodness of it.

IMG_9587_zpsyetutp8i.jpg

Judy’s panna cotta again. She hasn’t made much of a dent in it yet, has she?

IMG_9588_zps0yn9cai2.jpg

Our server took a couple of photos of us.

IMG_9589_zps5qk5wbpb.jpg

IMG_9590_zps0ejtms2y.jpg

I know I’ve been pretty light on the descriptions of this food, mostly because so much time has passed and my memory is fading. But suffice it to say that we thoroughly enjoyed this meal and Vine continues to be a “must do” for us whenever we get back to Hilton Head.

Up next: Hilton Head sunset photos

Last edited:
Here’s photographic proof that we at least cleaned up before going out.

You both clean up really nice.

We left the kids with some frozen meals that we'd bought for them on our grocery run the night before

Someone got the short end of the stick.

I honestly don’t remember how I liked this appetizer, but I had octopus again in northern Spain about a year ago (it’s called “pulpo” there) and decided that I don’t like it. It’s just too tough and chewy.

Noted. I've never had it but after reading this I don't want it.

Judy and her favorite Mickey necklace.

Ooooh I like her necklace. She is looking very lovely here.

Now I don’t mean to shame Via Napoli, but as a refresher, here the caprese salad she received there a few days earlier.

That's a big difference. Via Napoli needs to step up.

I cannot think of the term “baby bok choy” without the song from the Chili’s ad, promoting baby back ribs, running through my head: “I want my baby back, baby back, baby back”, but replacing “back” with “bok”.

You don't have little ones or you would be hearing "Baby Shark" like me.

These dishes were both awesome.

They both do look really good.

Our server took a couple of photos of us.

Very nice.

I enjoyed your adult dinner.

Nice! You wore my kids' school uniform.

They started us out with some bread that looked more like buns, if you know what I mean.

Every good meal starts with a full moon.

It's hard to see the outline of the plate in the photo, so it looked to me like they had just dumped the salad on the table.:rotfl2:

Granted, Via Napoli isn’t a “Signature” dining location at DisneyWorld, but I think this comparison shows that they could up their game a little bit.

Yes, by dumping more unidentified green gunk on it!

I cannot think of the term “baby bok choy” without the song from the Chili’s ad, promoting baby back ribs, running through my head: “I want my baby back, baby back, baby back”, but replacing “back” with “bok”.

I like it! It's catchy.

I had the butterfish dish that Judy had last year. I had tasted hers back then and wished I’d ordered it – I didn’t make that mistake twice!

Look at that, ladies and gentlemen! He can be taught!

I had berries and ice cream. The dish came with this long ice cream cone-type of thing sticking out of it.

Careful how you eat that thing. It looks like it could be painful.

I know I’ve been pretty light on the descriptions of this food, mostly because so much time has passed and my memory is fading. But suffice it to say that we thoroughly enjoyed this meal and Vine continues to be a “must do” for us whenever we get back to Hilton Head.

Glad you enjoyed it so much!

Not sure if I’ve commented before ( it’s been a while since I got caught up with everyone’s trip reports) but I’ve been loving reading along and I learnt something new! I’d never ever heard of the wee sand dollars before :)
Your meal at Vine looks gorgeous as do you both. Puts Via Napoli’s caprese in the shade for sure and thanks to Vamassey I’m now singing “baby shark doot doo de doo” lol

Still following and enjoying your TR!

Thank you for letting me know @rdkeim! It’s good to know that some people are still following along even though it’s so old! I’m determined to finish it. (Getting close!)

You both clean up really nice.

Thank you Vanessa.

Someone got the short end of the stick.

Yeah, but I don’t feel bad about it in the least. (And I know you’re joking.) I think it’s important for married people to have a date night every now and then.

Noted. I've never had it but after reading this I don't want it.

I’m a big advocate of trying things and I’ve now given pulpo a couple of tries. They don’t have to catch any more of them on my account!

Ooooh I like her necklace. She is looking very lovely here.

She wears that one quite a bit, I think it’s one of her favorites. Yes, I agree with you!

That's a big difference. Via Napoli needs to step up.

I think so too. Like I said, I realize they’re not a signature dining experience, but theirs didn’t even look all that appetizing.

You don't have little ones or you would be hearing "Baby Shark" like me.

Yes, I can be thankful for that! I’ve heard of it, but have pretty much been able to avoid it.

They both do look really good.

Scrumptious!

Very nice.

I enjoyed your adult dinner.

Good. Glad you could come along, via the pictures.

Nice! You wore my kids' school uniform.

Who wore it better? Don’t answer that.

Every good meal starts with a full moon.

Hmmm, I’m not so sure that’s true! :laughing:

It's hard to see the outline of the plate in the photo, so it looked to me like they had just dumped the salad on the table.:rotfl2:

Oh, the presentation! :rotfl:

Yes, by dumping more unidentified green gunk on it!

I think that’s crystalized basil. I didn’t mention it because I either, 1) mentioned it in my previous Hilton Head trip report, or 2) I’m phoning this one in!

I like it! It's catchy.

Singing it at your table at a fancy restaurant really livens things up, especially if you get the vibe that the linen napkins and extra utensils are making things feel a little too snooty. I highly recommend it.

Look at that, ladies and gentlemen! He can be taught!

I tried to put a gif from Young Frankenstein in here (of Putting on the Ritz), but I can't figure out how to do it. The DIS isn't cooperating.

Careful how you eat that thing. It looks like it could be painful.

I was afraid I’d sneeze and put an eye out.

Glad you enjoyed it so much!

:thumbsup2

Not sure if I’ve commented before ( it’s been a while since I got caught up with everyone’s trip reports)…

I don’t think so, so :welcome: luvpoohandcompany!

…but I’ve been loving reading along and I learnt something new! I’d never ever heard of the wee sand dollars before :)

Great! Yes, everyone is probably more familiar with the bigger ones. I assume that they just weren’t full-grown yet. There were just tons of them down in the sand under water.

Your meal at Vine looks gorgeous as do you both.

Aw, thanks.

Puts Via Napoli’s caprese in the shade for sure and thanks to Vamassey I’m now singing “baby shark doot doo de doo” lol

You’re going to have to take that up with her!

What a yummy looking meal. I really like that horse plate.

It was good. I know – I wonder if they have such an eclectic mix of dishes because they just couldn’t decide on which pattern they liked best?!

Good luck getting it back out!

James and I have a game we play with each other where we try to implant an earworm in the other person, just by whistling or humming while they’re busy doing something else, and then wait to see if it the other person starts whistling or humming it.

I have been lurking for a bit, and I have to say...I admire your commitment to finishing this report! :-) I have read all of your previous reports, and I love them. Your family dynamic is just like ours, but your kids are a bit older. We have daughters 20 and 17, and a 13 yr old son.

I know a lot of life has happened for you guys since this trip, and I am curious. Have there been any more recent WDW trips? Will you be doing any other TR's after you wrap this one up?

Last edited:
Another person here still following your trip report! Really enjoying the HH pictures. We went to Hilton Head several years ago and would love to get back.

I have to laugh because out of curiosity I looked back to your first post to see when this trip report started. My youngest child has completed four years of high school in the time you’ve been working on this...she graduates this week :rotfl:

I have been lurking for a bit, and I have to say...I admire your commitment to finishing this report! :-)

Another person here still following your trip report!

First, I have to say, you folks are the best! Thanks for sticking with me. Sometimes I wonder if there's any point to me continuing this thing, and you have shown that my time isn't completely wasted.

I have read all of your previous reports, and I love them. Your family dynamic is just like ours, but your kids are a bit older. We have daughters 20 and 17, and a 13 yr old son.

:welcome: oopsiDAISY. I didn't have you on my list of people who have posted here, so thanks for coming out of lurkerdom. Yes, I remember you from other reports -- I've always liked your screen-name. Very cool that you have similar kidlets in terms of sexes, order, and spacing. I'm sure your son takes a lot of grief from all of his "moms", just like mine does.

I know a lot of life has happened for you guys since this trip, and I am curious. Have there been any more recent WDW trips? Will you be doing any other TR's after you wrap this one up?

Oh, you ain't kidding. A lot of life has happened. About the only thing that hasn't happened is that there haven't been any "true" Disney trips, as in to WDW or Disneyland. But in the time since this report happened, we've had a wedding (in 2016, Lauren got married after finishing college), she and her new hubby honeymooned at Disney's Hilton Head resort, Marlene is still in college (taking a little longer than the standard 4 years), James has graduated high school last year (2018) and he and I went to NYC like Marlene did in this report, then Judy and I went to Hawaii and stayed at Aulani for part of the trip, and we're planning on going to WDW for Food and Wine in October (just Judy and I) and then all of the gang after Christmas and over New Year's. The trip over New Year's will be James's high school graduation trip, a year-and-a-half overdue. When he heard about Galaxy's Edge being built, he asked for it to be postponed until it opened, so we flip-flopped our plans for a WDW trip and a Hawaii trip. I would love to write a trip report about our Hawaii trip last year, but I feel like I would have to get it basically done before I post anything and then try to post it quickly over the summer. I'd want it to be done before we go to WDW in October. We'll see.

Really enjoying the HH pictures. We went to Hilton Head several years ago and would love to get back.

Thanks melk. We love it there too. I think I've mentioned before, if/when I buy more DVC points, it'll be for Hilton Head. It makes for such a relaxing vacation.

I have to laugh because out of curiosity I looked back to your first post to see when this trip report started. My youngest child has completed four years of high school in the time you’ve been working on this...she graduates this week :rotfl:

Oh, don't remind me! This report started with Marlene's high school graduation trip to NYC and she's almost done with college! She's taking a little longer to finish...hmm, maybe she's waiting for me to finish this report?

What a great looking couple right there!

At Vine, we were seated at the same table as last year. They started us out with some bread that looked more like buns, if you know what I mean.

IMG_9567_zpsavb4p2m4.jpg

:lmao:

definitely photo-worthy.

IMG_9573_zps6dvoukzw.jpg

That is fantastic servicewear!

We received these little palate-cleansing sorbets before the entrée’s were served.

IMG_9577_zpsjzbcp7gm.jpg

Aww, cute!!

I see what you mean about the 2 capreses! WOW! What a difference. Glad you guys had such a fantastic and romantic time at your dinner. :goodvibes

Your meal at Vine looked FABULOUS! Thank goodness I recently finished lunch or I would be VERY hungry! :laughing:

I don't tend to get salad from Via Napoli, but I agree that the Vine caprese salad is the clear winner. Is it covered in pesto? I've never thought to do that when making caprese salad but it's an excellent idea!

I hope you do write reports of your upcoming Disney trips! I'd love to hear about Aulani, too, but I understand if you don't want to fall behind before your next trip. :goodvibes

Oh my gosh. I haven’t been on the boards in FOREVER (been busy I HAD A BABY! 🤗)
And I logged in the other day and there’s was a notification that there was a post in this thread and I was like “that’s still going??!!” 😂
I will just say, Costco is THE BEST. They have all the things I didn’t know I needed

And that bread had to be on purpose. It’s TOO much like a butt. No way no one saw that before deciding that’s what they were gonna put on everyone’s tables 😂😂

And I logged in the other day and there’s was a notification that there was a post in this thread and I was like “that’s still going??!!” 😂
I will just say, Costco is THE BEST. They have all the things I didn’t know I needed

And that bread had to be on purpose. It’s TOO much like a butt. No way no one saw that before deciding that’s what they were gonna put on everyone’s tables 😂😂

Congratulations on the baby and yeah I totally agree on the bread! :rotfl2:

Another person still following along! I live in NYC and enjoyed your trip with Marlene here, so feel free to write an update on your trip with your son. 🗽 I'm in the process of researching a possible summer vaca, and am intrigued by Hilton Head, so clearly even the non-Disney World parts of your trip report are a fun read!

What a great looking couple right there!

What, was somebody photobombing us? ;)

That is fantastic servicewear!

Very cool, eclectic stuff

Aww, cute!!

Yes, sorbets can be cute.

I see what you mean about the 2 capreses! WOW! What a difference. Glad you guys had such a fantastic and romantic time at your dinner. :goodvibes

I don’t mean to shame them, but show what “could be” with a little more effort.

It’s a little bit on the expensive side, but we’ve really enjoyed our meals there.

Your meal at Vine looked FABULOUS! Thank goodness I recently finished lunch or I would be VERY hungry! :laughing:

I’m glad you enjoyed the review and photos. Yes, that is generally true of the disboards – don’t read dining reviews while hungry!

I don't tend to get salad from Via Napoli, but I agree that the Vine caprese salad is the clear winner. Is it covered in pesto? I've never thought to do that when making caprese salad but it's an excellent idea!

Not exactly...it was actually crystalized basil, believe it or not. But I believe that basil is the main ingredient in pesto, so you were close. I have no idea where you can get crystalized basil.

I hope you do write reports of your upcoming Disney trips! I'd love to hear about Aulani, too, but I understand if you don't want to fall behind before your next trip. :goodvibes

I’ve spent some time making sure that all of the photos are in photobucket and I’ve created a Word document of all of the photo links, so that’s a big part of the job. There’s a good chance I’ll get it started.

How dare you have a baby and not tell us, your second family. ;) No, seriously – CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you Sam!

Yeah, it’s still going. Where else can people go if they want to see the state of construction/refurbishment in WDW in 2015?

I’ve been getting 2 packages (they sell them in 2’s) of their bakery muffins every couple of weeks for like a year and a half now. They’re so huge, I only eat a half of one each morning. And the only bacon we’ve bought for years is their Maple Leaf bacon, it’s fantastic. Then, just the other day I found these Kirkland brand (ie. store brand) brats that are really good, so I’ve grilled them for dinner the last 2 nights in a row. They were giving them out as samples and I hate to succumb to their ploy and buy the sampled products, but I ate one of those and said, “okay, where are these? I have to buy them”.

And it’s a sandy butt no less, at the beach!

Congratulations on the baby and yeah I totally agree on the bread! :rotfl2:

No if’s and’s or butt’s!

Another person still following along! I live in NYC and enjoyed your trip with Marlene here, so feel free to write an update on your trip with your son. 🗽 I'm in the process of researching a possible summer vaca, and am intrigued by Hilton Head, so clearly even the non-Disney World parts of your trip report are a fun read!

Thanks for hanging in there with me DLHNYC! I organized the photos somewhat, so a quick (I hope!) trip report may be possible. I highly recommend Hilton Head (at least the Disney resort, I haven’t stayed anywhere else) as a great, relaxing vacation.

Since you brought up NYC, here are some photos from a 2-day trip that Judy and I took back in 2017. Most of the photos are from the Museum of the Moving Image, back when they had the muppet exhibit.

IMG_1818_zpsy2e2l2ao.jpg

IMG_1819_zpsjeerkutd.jpg

IMG_1828_zpsrfvk4kfa.jpg

IMG_1833_zpsoaazphk0.jpg

This next one is from Judy's favorite movie...can anyone guess what it's from?

IMG_1834_zpsruqgnq09.jpg

Over at MOMA (the Museum of Modern Art), there were lots of people crowded around "Starry Night", but somehow I cropped them all out when I took this selfie. :teeth:

IMG_1837_zpsoyuffeej.jpg

Yes, that's right -- I took selfies with Statler & Waldorf and "Starry Night" on the same day. It was a good day!

I'm a fan of Gustav Klimt so we also went to the Neue Galerie to see the Woman in Gold (real title: Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer). They don't let you take photos of the real painting, but instead have this life-sized poster in the basement. The wall paper nearby doesn't do it any justice! But the real displays are amazing.

IMG_1891_zpsvzcpk2wx.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts