Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach - Bullies and Wrap-up (The End!) (pg 44)

We have had discussions in the past about waterproof cameras. What is your current model? I am on my 3rd Fuji XP at the moment. Actually, I think my original is still with me, but two that I have purchased since then have died. :(

I dined solo at Spice Road table in Jan 2016. Mediterranean/Greek/Middle Eastern are my favorite world cuisines.

How were the grapeleaves? Meat or vegetarian? I was tempted to get these- I love stuffed grapeleaves and make them every Christmas eve and on other special occasions.

The desserts look spectacular!

:thumbsup2

I see on Instagram that your trip is over now. I'm sure you have those post-trip blues, but it looked like you had a great time!

Time in Disney goes way too fast. I do have post-trip blues and still trying to get caught up on real life. We did have a great time. It was a different trip but still very special.

I tried out my underwater camera with James in the pool.

These pictures look pretty good.

We went back to our suite, changed, and walked over to Morocco through the International Gateway entrance. It was so nice to be staying at the Boardwalk, close to the World Showcase, just a short walk to so many great places to eat.

One of the best benefits. Someday I would love to have it.

Judy and I got one side of the table, near the end wall, with the kids across from us.

I see you and Judy opted for the "elbow room" side of the table.

Out the window to my right, we had a nice view of the World Showcase Lagoon.

Lovely.

There was some interesting stuff decorating the walls.

So much to see.

We decided to only order a few things from the Small Plates portion of the menu. They brought them all out at the same time.

These look really good except for the grape leaves. I haven't tried grape leaves yet so I can't imagine what they would taste like.

Our server took our picture to commemorate our time there.

Another lovely family picture. I wish we could remember to ask for one at all our meals.

But, but... it looked like a lot!

Yeah, it probably did!

Looks like a lovely meal at Spice Road Table. I have been looking at this place for quite some time and want to try it. Your pics definitely made it go even higher up on the list! I do like the idea of a sit down meal that does not have to be big and heavy, but just a nice assortment of interesting little things.

If you like Mediterranean Fare, I think you'll like it Magdalene. Definitely an opportunity to try some new flavors, or at least enjoy some not-so-frequent ones if you've tried these things before. I'm glad my review moved it up your list!

Those were FUN times !! My jb is just so much more hectic now I don't get the Did time I would like , I tried uploading 2017 trips but they wouldn't load , have to get my relief staff to take a look at it he is great with computors !!
It is good to chat again.

They were fun times Rosie. My job too...I work in Philly now, with a pretty long commute. But you've gotta do what you've gotta do, right?

I just need to book a trip first! Ha.

Okay, report back when you've got it all set up! :teeth:

We have had discussions in the past about waterproof cameras. What is your current model? I am on my 3rd Fuji XP at the moment. Actually, I think my original is still with me, but two that I have purchased since then have died. :(

I still have the first Fuji, but...it's dead. I think it's a battery issue and have wondered if it'd be cheaper to try to get a new battery. :scratchin I probably haven't even taken 100 photos on that camera! But I'll need to do something, either new battery or new camera before this summer passes.

I dined solo at Spice Road table in Jan 2016. Mediterranean/Greek/Middle Eastern are my favorite world cuisines.

Nice! It's not a lot of fun dining solo, but I've gotten over that when traveling on business. I got to go to Spain for a week this past December and I ate well! I was not going to sit in a hotel room and order room service, that's for sure.

How were the grapeleaves? Meat or vegetarian? I was tempted to get these- I love stuffed grapeleaves and make them every Christmas eve and on other special occasions.

They were good. Ground meat, if my memory serves. Greek dolmades.

The desserts look spectacular!

They were good! I used to get good baklava at a once-a-year Greek festival near where I worked (made by real Greek church ladies) and would bring some home for the rest of the family. This was as good.

Time in Disney goes way too fast. I do have post-trip blues and still trying to get caught up on real life. We did have a great time. It was a different trip but still very special.

Glad you had a good time. Making memories is what it's all about. The only sure-fire way to combat the post-trip blues is to start planning another trip.

These pictures look pretty good.

One of the best benefits. Someday I would love to have it.

It came in very handy, I must say.

I see you and Judy opted for the "elbow room" side of the table.

Darned right! Being the parents has to have some benefit, aside from just getting to pay for the meal. :laughing:

I'm sure it'd be fun to watch IllumiNations from here, but I'm not sure how much you'd get to see except for kind of straight ahead.

So much to see.

Can you imagine all of the nooks and crannies in Disney that have stuff like this on display?

These look really good except for the grape leaves. I haven't tried grape leaves yet so I can't imagine what they would taste like.

The leaves themselves don't have a whole lot of taste, if anything probably slightly bitter. But there's not a whole lot of them proportionally, in a bite. They're just there to hold this mixture of ground lamb and spices and rice together. Like an egg roll that isn't fried. And doesn't have the egg roll fillings in it, but something else. :rotfl:

Another lovely family picture. I wish we could remember to ask for one at all our meals.

Thanks. I always feel like the servers are more agreeable to it at Disney than if we have a special occasion at a restaurant at home and want to ask the server to do it. They've always been so gracious at Disney.

Big Shot

After dinner, Judy and James went back to the suite -- they were spent from the day. I, on the other hand, had plans to catch the last show of Mike DelGuidice & Big Shot, a Billy Joel tribute band appearing in the Epcot “Sounds Like Summer” series. Lauren and I had seen Billy Joel in Philadelphia the summer before and I wanted to see how these guys compared to the real thing. Lauren and Marlene opted to stick with me and see the show. We walked over to the American Pavilion and staked out some seats. Then Lauren and I went to find the restrooms in the American Pavilion, leaving Marlene to hold our seats.

Here’s what Marlene was up to while I was gone -- highjacking my camera.

IMG_9165_zpsqo4u9g0e.jpg

She was giggling and laughing after we got back and couldn’t wait for me to find that picture on my camera roll. If I recall correctly, she couldn’t contain herself and finally told me that I should look through my photos.

Soon enough, Mike DelGuidice & Big Shot came on to perform.

IMG_9166_zpsy7mbzwes.jpg

These guys were incredible! We loved it! Mike’s voice sounds very much like Billy’s and he could totally rock those songs without sounding like some kind of knock-off. In fact, apparently Billy Joel liked the tribute band enough that he’s put Mike in his own band. Mike now plays guitar and sings backup vocals in Billy’s performances...when he’s not performing with Big Shot, of course. (I’m sure Billy’s show schedule trumps any of the tribute band performances!) He’s on Instagram as “BillyJoelBandMemberMikeDel”.

IMG_9167_zpsffqxzdbj.jpg

One of his original songs, “Ordinary Guy”, is also the theme song for the Kevin James sitcom “Kevin Can Wait”. And his voice was used for a scene where someone sings the classical piece, Nessun Dorma, which is a piece that he’s often featured singing at Billy’s concerts.

IMG_9169_zpsrbnxjgqm.jpg

We also learned during the show that Billy’s longtime saxophone player usually performs with Big Shot, but he was battling cancer and wasn’t there on this occasion. One or two of the band members had shaved their heads in solidarity (I don’t think Mike needs to shave, nature took care of that) and they were relentlessly leaning on the lead guitar player to shave his, but he just couldn’t do it.

This particular performance was their last for this run at Epcot, so they were having a lot of fun and threw in one or two requests that they received before going onstage. One of the requests was “Vienna”, which I didn’t record and immediately regretted. Such a great song.

IMG_9170_zpsgqpzk44p.jpg

I posted a couple of snippets of songs to Instagram and they were liked by Mike himself. I was pretty psyched about that.

We really loved this show and thought that Judy and James had missed out on something spectacular. It was a highlight of the trip for me.

After the show, we walked back to the Boardwalk. I wanted to practice my nighttime photography skills, so had Lauren and Marlene pose for me.

IMG_9175_zpskwlvdzzg.jpg

They went back to the suite while I checked out what this Juggler was doing on the Boardwalk, entertaining the assembled crowd.

IMG_9177_zps9tgf0nca.jpg

At one point, he solved a Rubik’s cube blindfolded. How they ever got that Rubik’s cube blindfolded, I’ll never know. Ba dum bum. Anyway, it was impressive. I’ve never been able to solve one of those things fully-sighted. A friend of mine showed me how to take them apart and that’s what I’ve always done!

IMG_9179_zpslpwysuuy.jpg

He was pretty happy with himself.

IMG_9180_zpsdln2ipne.jpg

My last “must do” of the evening was to get a nighttime photo of the creepy clown slide, if I dared. I’ll leave you with that.

IMG_9183_zps7m2ika6l.jpg

Pleasant dreams!

Up next: The Boardwalk Ballyhoo Tour

Last edited:
I still have the first Fuji, but...it's dead. I think it's a battery issue and have wondered if it'd be cheaper to try to get a new battery. :scratchin I probably haven't even taken 100 photos on that camera! But I'll need to do something, either new battery or new camera before this summer passes.

Is it the FujiXP? If so, I can send you a battery (maybe)* to see if that is the issue. I just ordered my 4th FujiXP today, to be delivered Friday. I have batteries and spare batteries.

*the batteries are Lithium so it may be a problem or need special handling to send in the mail...

The Yellow and Blue Fujis were some of the longest-lasting underwater cameras I had. Then the Yellow died this summer. Replaced it with an Orange one in August, which just died a couple of weeks ago in Mexico. About 30 days after my credit card would have covered damage. The Blue is still, knock wood, hanging in, but Best Buy had a great price so another Yellow is on its way.

:sad2:

Well, then. Hello, Marlene.

She was giggling and laughing after we got back and couldn’t wait for me to find that picture on my camera roll. If I recall correctly, she couldn’t contain herself and finally told me that I should look through my photos.

Not good at keeping secrets, is she?

These guys were incredible! We loved it! Mike’s voice sounds very much like Billy’s and he could totally rock those songs without sounding like some kind of knock-off. In fact, apparently Billy Joel liked the tribute band enough that he’s put Mike in his own band. Mike now plays guitar and sings backup vocals in Billy’s performances.

Wow, that's impressive!

I posted a couple of snippets of songs to Instagram and they were liked by Mike himself. I was pretty psyched about that.

Nice. It's like you're a big shot now.

It was a highlight of the trip for me.

Cool. You don't normally expect that to be said of Epcot bands.

After the show, we walked back to the Boardwalk. I wanted to practice my nighttime photography skills, so had Lauren and Marlene pose for me.

IMG_9175_zpskwlvdzzg.jpg

Nice one! I like the blurred background.

How they ever got that Rubik’s cube blindfolded, I’ll never know. Ba dum bum.

RZpojBtHGoT1xc0GCeaAwPFEUBuiapJZHIL6ab8kdUBvBIrGchBl_xVrqpvJBp5shf5rzIP1wpsRAfKuoYnE6qjP8LLNS5VY2LnSZ9iiLxeaC-ViJKU-er6C2QcDgxNejUIkPX9qjT1uwxQYt77heambmWQRQ7_ZkCs0H8giqTRVGerP9FTfTggVpZ43VtdsKuVjRaW7LlpvArYBEStD6YLeYC_a870DsVE0hC4y6p-Bc8ZCgW906fP4_ivkuU7TrMc2bkGryfiNxvYYiPgVDEXVR8WAjF_mChgiKkuyUClmp52aSSd78Dw_e6t460gPv1jVcTT9YvYKsJptif6AJJBcGepeI94ptjyjIMBgEyT6d6XSpQFE7dffI4ELdRebPEsRd1mgxSHXP23JQkgx-_GzmS7KamvWN6iIT-73mluUovliVay1Re2CoOZ5mfpp8w9kJeKYGE-WvSsEp8B9jIfCUpvu-u-G5dPbmiaw1CI7sCH0f0sp6CNVIJzdbhZ7CBSGafGSUWgHpXGL2WNI-cRfSBHWvGvtFKkAxm5nJJKjeStWUhfKutVs0EnKYCOkKUCqUg6EcQtN0PhF31HGzBDvnRAq_yKKDwFbtkY=w48-h34-no

Anyway, it was impressive. I’ve never been able to solve one of those things fully-sighted. A friend of mine showed me how to take them apart and that’s what I’ve always done!

Or peel the stickers off!

My son has actually learned to solve it. He can typically solve one in about 30 seconds. And he's working on the blindfolded trick!

My last “must do” of the evening was to get a nighttime photo of the creepy clown slide, if I dared. I’ll leave you with that.

Gee, thanks. It just devoured my soul.

I've never taken in a concert at EPCOT, but that one sure looked great!! I too love the Boardwalk entertainment- there are some really good acts there.

Kudos on your night time photos; they all turned out pretty well. I think the clown is actually kinda cool at night. Again, a job well done!

Yeah, it probably did!

If you like Mediterranean Fare, I think you'll like it Magdalene. Definitely an opportunity to try some new flavors, or at least enjoy some not-so-frequent ones if you've tried these things before. I'm glad my review moved it up your list!

They were fun times Rosie. My job too...I work in Philly now, with a pretty long commute. But you've gotta do what you've gotta do, right?

Okay, report back when you've got it all set up! :teeth:
Judy wants to do a family trip again next year, not sure if finances will allow but can always dream. I will have 2 Great Grandsons to introduce to Disney, Brayden is almost 18months now and is a HUGE Mickey fan !! Can't imagine why :confused3:goodvibes:rotfl2: This year we are doing Universal with People & Places in October !!I have a feeling I may still do a Disney one but not with Carol as she hasn't got enough vacation for Disney & Universal .

I, on the other hand, had plans to catch the last show of Mike DelGuidice & Big Shot, a Billy Joel tribute band appearing in the Epcot “Sounds Like Summer” series.

This sounds so cool. In 2009 we saw the Eagles cover band and really enjoyed it.

Here’s what Marlene was up to while I was gone -- highjacking my camera

:rotfl2:

These guys were incredible! We loved it!

Glad it was time well spent. If I ever make it back there in the heat of summer I'll make a point of seeing them.

I enjoyed the snippets.

I wanted to practice my nighttime photography skills, so had Lauren and Marlene pose for me.

IMG_9175_zpskwlvdzzg.jpg

Love this! :worship:

How they ever got that Rubik’s cube blindfolded, I’ll never know. Ba dum bum.

:sad2:

I’ve never been able to solve one of those things fully-sighted.

I use to know how to solve it way back when I was in grade school but I don't remember.

IMG_9183_zps7m2ika6l.jpg

This has never really bothered me until now.

Up next: The Boardwalk Ballyhoo Tour

I'm looking forward to this.

Is it the FujiXP? If so, I can send you a battery (maybe)* to see if that is the issue. I just ordered my 4th FujiXP today, to be delivered Friday. I have batteries and spare batteries.

*the batteries are Lithium so it may be a problem or need special handling to send in the mail...

You are a saint Dee!! What a kind offer! But, I think you’re right, you wouldn’t be able to send a lithium battery through the mail. Thank you though!

The Yellow and Blue Fujis were some of the longest-lasting underwater cameras I had. Then the Yellow died this summer. Replaced it with an Orange one in August, which just died a couple of weeks ago in Mexico. About 30 days after my credit card would have covered damage. The Blue is still, knock wood, hanging in, but Best Buy had a great price so another Yellow is on its way.

upload_2018-4-18_12-23-56.gif

I still haven’t decided if I’ll try to get a new battery or just get a new camera. The difference in cost probably isn’t that significant, unfortunately.

Well, then. Hello, Marlene.

Seriously, right?

Not good at keeping secrets, is she?

Usually, yes, but this one was too much for her!

Wow, that's impressive!

I’d say so.

Nice. It's like you're a big shot now.

You may be right. (I may be crazy.)

Cool. You don't normally expect that to be said of Epcot bands.

I can’t say that I’ve seen many, but yeah, I wouldn’t expect them to be a highlight of the trip for me.

Nice one! I like the blurred background.

Well if you like that, I can blur the actual objects of the photo just as well!

Or peel the stickers off!

That’s another way.

My son has actually learned to solve it. He can typically solve one in about 30 seconds. And he's working on the blindfolded trick!

I’m impressed! Must have gotten some of Mrs Knowitall’s genes. :rolleyes: Wow, let me know when he gets that blindfold trick down!

Gee, thanks. It just devoured my soul.

You’re very welcome.

I've never taken in a concert at EPCOT, but that one sure looked great!!

It really was, I loved it! (And I've seen Billy Joel in concert, so I think that's saying something.)

I too love the Boardwalk entertainment- there are some really good acts there.

I think this is the only act I saw while we were there. Just too busy with other things, I guess.

Kudos on your night time photos; they all turned out pretty well. I think the clown is actually kinda cool at night. Again, a job well done!

Thanks Steppe! Yeah, I had to get a shot of that creepy clown slide at night.

Judy wants to do a family trip again next year, not sure if finances will allow but can always dream. I will have 2 Great Grandsons to introduce to Disney, Brayden is almost 18months now and is a HUGE Mickey fan !! Can't imagine why upload_2018-4-18_12-28-37.gifupload_2018-4-18_12-28-37.gifupload_2018-4-18_12-28-37.gifThis year we are doing Universal with People & Places in October !!I have a feeling I may still do a Disney one but not with Carol as she hasn't got enough vacation for Disney & Universal .

I hope you can do it. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun with Brayden. Your influence on him is obvious! Yes, it would be a lot, trying to work both in during one year.

This sounds so cool. In 2009 we saw the Eagles cover band and really enjoyed it.

Ooo, I’d like that one too!

Glad it was time well spent. If I ever make it back there in the heat of summer I'll make a point of seeing them.

Well worth it.

I enjoyed the snippets.

Thanks!
Love this! upload_2018-4-18_12-29-15.gif

Thank you!

I use to know how to solve it way back when I was in grade school but I don't remember.

You can say you did it!

This has never really bothered me until now.

Hey, you’re welcome!

I'm looking forward to this.

You’re in luck. The new chapter is coming soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter