Beware of DVC rental scammers

We rented before we bought in. Just read the listing here about what to look for. It is solid.
Depending on how the owner handles it, it can take a little trust on both sides. The person we rented from sent us a basic contract, we signed it, they booked the res and sent us the number immediately. I checked it to make sure it was legit. Then we sent him a personal check for some percentage (i dont remember the exact split) and we had to pay the rest by 90 days out. In that case, the owner is making the rez without payment trusting that Id pay. Then I pay trusting that the rez will stay intact. Then he waits until 90 days out (which would have ended up being just outside his required banking window) and trusts that Im going to make good on the final payment. Then I make the final payment and trust that the rez will be there. (I kept checking along the way for peace of mind)
I was very happy with my experience. It was smooth and he was good about making the process simple and easy to understand.
If you follow the guidelines you should be fine. If anything doesnt pass the sniff test of those guidelines dont do it.
Not a lot of members will take payments. Many require full payment to turn the reservation over to your name.

We rented before we bought in. Just read the listing here about what to look for. It is solid.
Depending on how the owner handles it, it can take a little trust on both sides. The person we rented from sent us a basic contract, we signed it, they booked the res and sent us the number immediately. I checked it to make sure it was legit. Then we sent him a personal check for some percentage (i dont remember the exact split) and we had to pay the rest by 90 days out. In that case, the owner is making the rez without payment trusting that Id pay. Then I pay trusting that the rez will stay intact. Then he waits until 90 days out (which would have ended up being just outside his required banking window) and trusts that Im going to make good on the final payment. Then I make the final payment and trust that the rez will be there. (I kept checking along the way for peace of mind)
I was very happy with my experience. It was smooth and he was good about making the process simple and easy to understand.
If you follow the guidelines you should be fine. If anything doesnt pass the sniff test of those guidelines dont do it.

When we rented a couple of years ago from an owner I found on the DIS, we had the same set up. The only difference was that we didn't have to make final payment until 60 days out. It didn't even dawn on me that the last payment wasn't due until after the banking window closed. I also checked constantly on my reservation in MDE for peace of mind as well.

Not a lot of members will take payments. Many require full payment to turn the reservation over to your name.

I’ve structured my contracts so that there are three payments- the last payment is always before my banking window. I also write in that, should the renter need to cancel, they forfeit what they’ve paid unless I can rerent the points (with a caution that it will likely be less than the rental per point price). I understand emergencies might come up, so I’m more flexible. That’s how I would want someone to treat me. However, I only have 1-2 rentals a year, and the payments are hard to keep track of, so I understand why an owner who rents often might want a full payment.

UPDATE 1/18/18

I've basically been going through the process of answering questions from paypal as they go through their claim investigation. I filed a police report which I sent to paypal, along with all my communications I had with the "owner". Strangely, the fact that this has drawn out for so long makes me believe that paypal has been in contact with the "owner", something I was unable to achieve. Shockingly, this morning I was informed by paypal that they have decided the case in my favor!! The money was back in my paypal account immediately. I am still in shock I think. It appears that paypal was able to get the money from the "owner". I still cant believe this. Thanks for all your support.

I am late to reading the update. I am so glad you got it resolved and got your money back.
Also sorry you went through this, and the stress, etc.

If you used a CC the CC company might cover it. I would at least ask. We are currently renting points from someone. They have been very upfront with us. This is the 4th time we have rented and never had a problem. Once I get the confirmation # i check on the reservation #. Then I will do so again several times before our trip. Sorry for your troubles.

Sorry I hadn't read the update yet. Have you been able to rent from someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!