Beware of DVC rental scammers

Having received a transfer before - the member provided me with a current screen shot of his member page with personal info and their points status -- someone who is not a member would likely not be able to do this unless they really are computer savvy and could recreate a members webpage.

I guess paying through paypal is not safe and secure - It has been a long time since i set up a paypal account -- what kind of security measures do they have to match up names - checking accounts etc? i think it is mainly via someones email that a payment is sent-so essentially anyone can create a paypal account - get the money transferred into their account without there being any ability to match up names. There is no way to really identify who you are sending money to.

Just another example of the scummy people out there.
I just wanted to talk a moment about this part of a very helpful response on page 2.

To me, this reads more of a case where the actual owner in MS has used the same email and password for several accounts and the pairing was compromised.

All anyone would have to do is get a list of compromised emails and passwords and then start trying them on the DVC login page and if one works, they have everything they would need to have pulled off this scam.

Truly sorry to the OP and their situation and also to the true owner and their account being used in this way.

But one would not have to be especially computer savvy to pull this off and certainly not need to recreate webpages.

I truly hope every DVC member out there has a unique password on their disney accounts and also their email accounts.

I'm sure being new here I'm likely not allowed to include links, but you can check what known breaches you've been included in with a site called "have i been pwned".

Sorry this happend to you. I found both my renters from this board and they were awesome sent my confirmations right away . I doubled checked everything . I was able to check my reservations through that to make sure that she made the reservations.

I recently entered into an agreement to rent points from an individual who I found on the Rent/Trade forum here on Disboards in Aug for a June 2018 trip. I'm not going to say the owners board name, as I'm not sure if that's allowed or not, but you could go back in my profile and see my last postings. I was in charge of booking for my family and another. Communication seemed very normal initially. The owner seemed very well informed, courteous, and knowledgeable. I paid the DVC owner half down and received an email that appeared like a normal Disney trip confirmation email, however the email did not contain a confirmation number. I inquired about the need of a confirmation number in early Sept so I could book my ADRs when my 180 hit, which is this weekend. She informed me that she would get the number asap and send it to me. That was in early Sept. I have been unable to reach the owner since then by all methods of communication that was provided to me. I am at a loss on what other recourse I would have. I am sick and embarrassed over this but understand that it was my mistake. Just be sure you have a solid DVC owner with multiple, tested communication routes available before agreeing to rent from someone. I've read accounts of this from others and never dreamed that it would occur to me.

UPDATE 1/18/18

I've basically been going through the process of answering questions from paypal as they go through their claim investigation. I filed a police report which I sent to paypal, along with all my communications I had with the "owner". Strangely, the fact that this has drawn out for so long makes me believe that paypal has been in contact with the "owner", something I was unable to achieve. Shockingly, this morning I was informed by paypal that they have decided the case in my favor!! The money was back in my paypal account immediately. I am still in shock I think. It appears that paypal was able to get the money from the "owner". I still cant believe this. Thanks for all your support.

UPDATE 1/18/18

I've basically been going through the process of answering questions from paypal as they go through their claim investigation. I filed a police report which I sent to paypal, along with all my communications I had with the "owner". Strangely, the fact that this has drawn out for so long makes me believe that paypal has been in contact with the "owner", something I was unable to achieve. Shockingly, this morning I was informed by paypal that they have decided the case in my favor!! The money was back in my paypal account immediately. I am still in shock I think. It appears that paypal was able to get the money from the "owner". I still cant believe this. Thanks for all your support.

Wow what a great resolution. Glad it worked out. Did the moderators ever do anything about the member on the boards? I would hope they have been removed.

UPDATE 1/18/18

Very nice to hear! I always take care of the paypal fees AND charge on a good credit card as a bit of extra insurance but of course being a time share rental nothing is a sure thing...glad to hear it worked out for you!

Just wondering, did you ever reach out to other renters on that thread?

I’m happy to hear you got your money back, unfortunately the reality that I see is that this will happen more in the future. I hope the scammers are exposed and others become more cautious of renting.

UPDATE 1/18/18

So glad to see your update, and glad to see you got your money back. Second choice after actually getting the reservation, still, so sorry you had to go through this. I hope they catch the scammer; I highly doubt the person behind this has only run this one scam, as it takes a fair bit of knowledge to put together a convincing profile and correspond with everyone.

Sorry for the stress of this for your family. I am glad you have not given up on the process. I believe the majority of the renters here are legit and try to help the best we can. This is one reason why |I only use Paypal. Helps the people who are renting from me.
FYI looks like the person has their profile deleted on here, not sure if by them or the mods.

I'm so glad that this was resolved! It is actually horrible that you had to go through all this. I'm glad your money has been refunded-- were you ever able to actually get a booking for the dates that you wanted (in June), as well? I'm so sorry you went through this stress. Most people are honest in the rent/trade board. I hope that this person did not scam other people!!

Thank you for the update!

While that's a good reminder, I'm not sure what MORE the OP could have done. It appears that he did his "due diligence".

I've rented points several times from this forum and others. All of the owners I've dealt with have provided references and most of them had a written contract that we both signed. Still doesn't make it 100% secure but helps. Glad the OP got it resolved!

UPDATE 1/18/18

Awesome!! I'm so glad it worked out!

So here is the latest ...scammers are massing a number of valid DVC accounts by asking for Member numbers and screen shots. They then use these to vaildate their "ownership" to an unsuspecting renter. I have been contacted by at least 5 people under different names all looking for the above information. If the intent of the renter is a noble one, use an escrow service. Credit Cards also offer a degree of protection as does Pay PAL.

BEWARE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS MUCH ACTIVITY IN THE 20+ YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN RENTING OUT MY POINTS.

So here is the latest ...scammers are massing a number of valid DVC accounts by asking for Member numbers and screen shots. They then use these to vaildate their "ownership" to an unsuspecting renter. I have been contacted by at least 5 people under different names all looking for the above information. If the intent of the renter is a noble one, use an escrow service. Credit Cards also offer a degree of protection as does Pay PAL.

BEWARE, I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS MUCH ACTIVITY IN THE 20+ YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN RENTING OUT MY POINTS.
Thank you for the warning! I have rented out my points numerous times and I have never provided a renter my member number or screen shot. It's VERY bad idea but if you're a new renter you may think it's OK.

I would never give out my account number or contract numbers, the only number that a renter needs is the confirmation number, which comes from an email that can be forwarded to the renter.

I would just tell a renter "no" and if they had a problem with it just move on.

You have to share your member number to do a transfer. Well, at least one party has to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!