Beverage Tastings on the Fantasy?

cruiselovinbunch1

cruiselovinbunch1
My husband and I are taking our first kid-less cruise in late October on the Fantasy (Western Caribbean). I checked the most recent Navigators on the Disney Cruise Line blog and noticed that the beverage tastings don't seem to be listed anymore (unless I'm missing them). We're interested in doing a few but would like to have some idea of what the offerings are and when they are typically held. Has anyone sailed recently and done beverage tastings? Thanks.

look on the navigator from the first day under Adult activities, not sure if it is on 2nd or 3rd page, also tells you time and location you can book the first day on ship
some can be prebooked when your window opens up, if your booking time is not avail. and you are part of FB, someone may be able to look for you

Don’t count on outside organizing anymore. DCL changed their policy and now require the organizer to pay upfront the entire cost. They added a lot of tastings in the last year to compensate. They are not listed daily, but at the beginning of the cruise, as PP mentioned.

Here’s what’s mentioned in the first Navigator handed out at the terminal.

Attachments

• 239F825F-CE8C-4015-8C49-CBAC54F64E12.jpeg
    239F825F-CE8C-4015-8C49-CBAC54F64E12.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 63

Thanks everyone -- it's been a few years since we've cruised and I was used to seeing the tastings listed in each day's times guide. Setting up the spreadsheet for online reservations and looking for as many details as possible. :)

So are these tastings on the app? If you sign up for them, will the app show that time blocked off? How do you keep track of your tastings?

You are correct, they don't list all the tastings on the navigator. My suggestion is book as many beverage seminars in advance as you can after you do your online check in. If you can't get them immediately go to La Piazza once you board the ship to see if anything is still available. If you don't have any luck, check with guest services and/or La Piazza each day for openings. Also, I have never had any luck, but I have heard if you show up for the tasting if there is an opening they might let you buy a last minute ticket.

As a previous poster said - get to know the bartenders. On the Fantasy I can highly recommend Andrae from Jamaica - and I know a few others on the boards will recommend him too. On our last cruise he was at La Piazza.

There are also drink "cards" you can get - Skyline has the drink passport - you pay a flat fee and get to pick drinks from their specialty menu. It equates to buy 5 get 1 free or buy 6 get one free, it's been a couple trips since I did it, but you get a passport to bring home. La Piazza also has a map that you buy and you visit the other bars that are on that map (La Piazza - Italy; Oh La La - France, O'Gill's.... you get the idea) I only learned about the map at the end of our last cruise so I don't know the cost or what drinks were offered. We always just ask Andrae to make us something "different". I've always said I don't like bourbon - but he made me a bourbon drink that was very good. I hate Campari - but he made me a drink with it that I asked for multiple times.

As for tastings we have done several - I can HIGHLY recommend Mixology, each one I have done has has different drinks. I've also done tequila tasting, martini (not a fan, but the martini "style" drinks were good), whisky, bourbon, and beer all on the Fantasy over the years (we've done beer, wine and tequila on the Magic as well). If you like bourbon or whiskey they are a great way to taste different brands and on our 2 bourbon tastings we got different bourbons. My friend did the wine tasting and enjoyed it. The one I have not done and will be booking on our next cruise is the liquor and chocolate.

Have a fabulous cruise!

We did the Mojito tasting on Castaway Cay day and they held it at the Heads Up Bar on the island. It was GREAT!!! Actually have a few recipes we will use. Bonny, our bartender, was fantastic.

Here is the schedule that was available on embarkation day. This was a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. We had already booked a couple tastings online prior to the start of the cruise, but were interested to see what else was available. This was February 2018, however, and I do believe some if not all of the pricing has gone up. This will give you a pretty good idea of what options there are, however. Happy Cruising! :cool2:

Here is the schedule that was available on embarkation day. This was a 7-day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. We had already booked a couple tastings online prior to the start of the cruise, but were interested to see what else was available. This was February 2018, however, and I do believe some if not all of the pricing has gone up. This will give you a pretty good idea of what options there are, however. Happy Cruising! :cool2:
View attachment 417613
thanks for posting this! this is our same week we are going in 2020 so I'm hoping the schedule is similar for planning purposes :)

You are correct, they don't list all the tastings on the navigator. My suggestion is book as many beverage seminars in advance as you can after you do your online check in. If you can't get them immediately go to La Piazza once you board the ship to see if anything is still available. If you don't have any luck, check with guest services and/or La Piazza each day for openings. Also, I have never had any luck, but I have heard if you show up for the tasting if there is an opening they might let you buy a last minute ticket.

As a previous poster said - get to know the bartenders. On the Fantasy I can highly recommend Andrae from Jamaica - and I know a few others on the boards will recommend him too. On our last cruise he was at La Piazza.

There are also drink "cards" you can get - Skyline has the drink passport - you pay a flat fee and get to pick drinks from their specialty menu. It equates to buy 5 get 1 free or buy 6 get one free, it's been a couple trips since I did it, but you get a passport to bring home. La Piazza also has a map that you buy and you visit the other bars that are on that map (La Piazza - Italy; Oh La La - France, O'Gill's.... you get the idea) I only learned about the map at the end of our last cruise so I don't know the cost or what drinks were offered. We always just ask Andrae to make us something "different". I've always said I don't like bourbon - but he made me a bourbon drink that was very good. I hate Campari - but he made me a drink with it that I asked for multiple times.

As for tastings we have done several - I can HIGHLY recommend Mixology, each one I have done has has different drinks. I've also done tequila tasting, martini (not a fan, but the martini "style" drinks were good), whisky, bourbon, and beer all on the Fantasy over the years (we've done beer, wine and tequila on the Magic as well). If you like bourbon or whiskey they are a great way to taste different brands and on our 2 bourbon tastings we got different bourbons. My friend did the wine tasting and enjoyed it. The one I have not done and will be booking on our next cruise is the liquor and chocolate.

Have a fabulous cruise!
If Andrae was on the fantasy two years ago he was our mixology bartender in the Skyline he was great. I did not see him on our last sailing. Our mixology bartender was Carolyn.

If Andrae was on the fantasy two years ago he was our mixology bartender in the Skyline he was great. I did not see him on our last sailing. Our mixology bartender was Carolyn.

Bartenders rotate positions and classes throughout their contract.

It is also possible that he was on his vacation.

Bartenders rotate positions and classes throughout their contract.

It is also possible that he was on his vacation.
He gets back on the ship in August sometime. His 2 main bars are La Piazza and Bon Voyage. You are right he could be anywhere, but those have been his main locations for the last 4 years.

He gets back on the ship in August sometime. His 2 main bars are La Piazza and Bon Voyage. You are right he could be anywhere, but those have been his main locations for the last 4 years.

He was doing the Cove Cafe in the mornings in Feb 2015 also.

He was doing the Cove Cafe in the mornings in Feb 2015 also.
Another reason to visit multiple bars ... you never know who you'll find. I miss Ari who went to the Dream, we spend an entire cruise in the Cove letting him make me coffee cocktails and DH bourbon drinks. Jessie was his partner that cruise, and the next cruise Jessie was at the deck 4 coffee bar. I ended up spending a lot of time with him there.

You connect with people, and when you find that connection stay with them.

Another reason to visit multiple bars ... you never know who you'll find. I miss Ari who went to the Dream, we spend an entire cruise in the Cove letting him make me coffee cocktails and DH bourbon drinks. Jessie was his partner that cruise, and the next cruise Jessie was at the deck 4 coffee bar. I ended up spending a lot of time with him there.

You connect with people, and when you find that connection stay with them.

Yep! Andrae declared me his princess from moment one and would not let anyone else serve me at any bar he was working!

In the alternative...get to know the bartenders...they are very good about recommending things and making the experience fun. The Skyline Lounge is usually pretty calm and has fun cocktails when you need a break from The Tube or O'Gills.

I totally agree. I've decided to not do the tastings anymore unless someone in my group specifically wants to do it. I get more out of asking the bartenders to make me their favorite drink....or something special. It's always a better drink. Also, with the diversity of countries represented, you may get something you never would have considered before. They'll take care of you if you tip well right away and keep going back.

Thanks everyone for the tips -- I will look for Andrae for sure! That's what I love about the boards here, everyone is so helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!