Beth's WDW Countdown Weight Loss Journal, Goal: Lose 50 lbs by Feb 2016 with My Fitness Pal & Fitbit

bethk78

Mouseketeer
I'm creating this thread to hold myself accountable. I'm not expecting myself in any way to be perfect but I'm hoping that if I can be consistent with logging my food intake in My Fitness Pal (every day) and walking 10,000 steps with Fitbit (every day) that I'll lose weight over the coming months.

We went to WDW this past February 2015 and are planning another trip for February 2016, 224 days from today (Mon 6/22/15).

A little weight loss history... I have been overweight my whole adult life. My highest adult weight was 306 (pure misery), my lowest 155 (absolute joy). I have steadily lost 20-30 pounds each year over the past couple of years. I currently weigh 257 (up 10 pounds since Feb 2015). I would love to weigh 147. I have a long way to go but I'm trying not to think about how long and hard the journey will be but instead take it day by day and if I need to, minute by minute.

So my weight loss goal for our February 2016 trip, the next 7 months or so, is to lose 50 lbs. It's pretty ambitious for me but I know that if I log my food daily and walk daily that it's very achievable. It works out to be about 1.5 lbs a week. Although truthfully I would be happy with even 30 or 40 pounds, I'm going for 50.

My first mini weight loss goal is the 10 lbs I have gained since February. I hope to take that off in the next 5 weeks and then continue on with my bigger 50 lb goal.

I plan to post here every day how I did, whether I logged my food and how many steps I took and other thoughts, challenges, ups, downs, successes, etc.

See ya real soon.

Last edited:
Congratulations on setting a goal and beginning a journal - both are very helpful. My advice - start logging every bite of food and every drink of fluid in an app like MyFitnessPal. Exercise helps lose weight, but you need to log your food intake and track your calories.

I have very similar goals and am also using mfp/fitbit to get ready for my April 2016 trip. Congratulations on all of the successes you've had so far! I look forward to following along.

Congratulations on setting a goal and beginning a journal - both are very helpful. My advice - start logging every bite of food and every drink of fluid in an app like MyFitnessPal. Exercise helps lose weight, but you need to log your food intake and track your calories.

100% agree. So far so good. Thanks for the congrats.

I have very similar goals and am also using mfp/fitbit to get ready for my April 2016 trip. Congratulations on all of the successes you've had so far! I look forward to following along.

Thank you so much. Planning on checking out your thread and also the Jiminy's June 2015 W.I.S.H. Weight Loss Challenge thread soon. Thanks for the support and congrats on your 5 lb loss.

Day 1, Mon 6/22

Logged all my food in MFP. Ate 3 meals and no snacks which was a surprise as I had planned on a couple snacks and had the exercise calories for them. Was not at hungry between meals which was another surprise because usually I'm hungry all the time. I love to eat and unfortunately I eat when I'm happy, sad, bored, angry, you get the idea, pretty much all the time. But Monday was good in the eating department, if only every day could be like today. I was tempted by my one of my favorite take-out places as I ran an errand before my first meal and when I detoured construction traffic I drove right by it. But I resisted. I'm fine with treats and splurging, but not my first day back on track. Plus I've already eaten out plenty this month. Note to self: Don't go anywhere without eating something first. Also, drank over 10 cups of water. Makes it so much easier when I have a big thermos-type container of ice water near me all day long. Sometimes I drink a fair bit of water without even realizing it.

Took 10,387 steps today which was a huge accomplishment for me for a number of reasons. First is my walking buddy, my DH, has both a cold and a broken toe so I have to walk by myself. It's hard enough for me to motivate myself to walk especially lately as I fell off the wagon for a number of weeks, but without my walking partner it's *really* hard for me, but I managed and I'm proud of myself. I'm not sure when he'll be back in walking shape. He thinks a couple days but I don't think he should push it and risk re-injuring it no matter how much I miss walking with him. I guess I'm not completely by myself, I walk with my dog, my 11 year old Beagle.

Today's weather was pretty warm but a nice cool breeze, still I didn't bring water with me which I will rectify tomorrow so I didn't do all of my walking outside as I had intended. I work from home and am usually home all the time so if I don't make a point to go walking, I'll be lucky if I hit 1,000 steps. So I got about another 6,000 from walking outside, around the neighborhood and then took a couple hour break before walking around the first-level of my house to the Beach Boys on Pandora radio until I hit 10,000. It wasn't ideal but it got the job done.

Last edited:
Day 2, Tues 6/23

Logged all my food in MFP, ate all my calories and exercise calories, ended up going about 25 calories over. No biggie. A bit of an emotional moment during the afternoon that made me want to pig out and normally I would have. This time though I had a snack and tried to stick it out and the moment thankfully passed. Overall I was hungrier today but not bad at all. Drank more than 10 cups water.

Took 10,254 steps today. Yay me. Planned on walking a longer route outside today to get most of my 10,000 steps. I usually get around 1000-1500 around the house so the route I intended was something like 8800, not sure though because best laid plans and all that. It was too hot! I mean really hot. I thought the previous day was hot but no, I was wrong, today was HOT! Plus I was really dumb and tried to walk during the afternoon when the temperature was at its highest so I wouldn't have to walk later. Even with shaded water breaks it was too hot for me, but I was mostly worried about my dog. So we cut it short about 2/3s through, probably should have called it sooner, before coming back to a nice cool house with central AC. Cooled off for a couple hours and then knocked out the remaining steps walking circuits again on the first-floor of my house to Beach Boys on Pandora. Not what I planned, I really prefer getting all my steps outdoors, it just seems easier but I'm proud of myself for not giving up on my goal and making it work.

It's only going to get hotter here so I'm realizing I really have to plan my walks better so it means getting up earlier and walking before it gets too hot or walking in the evenings. I really don't like walking in the evenings for three reasons: 1) it hangs over my head all day long, 2) it's much more crowded in the evenings so less peaceful for me and 3) there's more of a chance I won't complete my goals when I wait until the last minute.

Til tomorrow. :goodvibes

Day 3, Wed 6/24

Logged all my food in MFP, 3 meals & 3 snacks. I ended up not eating most of my exercise calories but that was a miscalculation because I think I would have eaten them if I had realized. I thought I didn't have enough calories to have my beloved sticky rice with my stir-fry for dinner but turns out I did. I'll have to keep a closer eye on my food diary and estimating calories in an upcoming meal. Only drank 8 cups of water today.

Took 10,454 steps today. Still struggling coming up with a walking routine. So far it's a fight (with myself) to get all my steps in every day. Got my usual around the house steps plus some more on a trip to grocery store. Planning to park farther away at the grocery store next time for more steps. Very hot today. Waited until evening to walk circuits at a local park. Even though I was listening to music and it was beautiful out although a bit muggy and buggy, I was bored. I really don't like walking by myself. Once the sun slipped past the horizon it was too dark in the treed portion of the park but I got the bulk of my steps and finished them off at home walking circuits on the first-level of my home while watching/listening to two of Joe & Ashley's Disney World vacation vlogs on YouTube on my TV. I'll post the link in case anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SeeYaReelSoon

I just love them. They post a new video every Wednesday and I always look forward to it.

Last edited:

I wanted to share my Fitbit screenshots from my Feb 2015 trip, mostly because I like looking at them. A few notes...we had 9 park days. The time on my Fitbit graphs are off by 3 hours because my Fitbit is set to west coast time and I never changed it. So 4 am is actually 7 am Florida time and 8 pm is actually 11 pm. Also I was sick the last 3 days so we took it easy sleeping late, less park time and spending more time at the resort, so less steps.

About 6 weeks prior to our trip I made a goal to get 10,000 steps a day every day which was a huge goal for me and I achieved it. WDW trips are a great motivator. I think that it definitely got us ready for all the walking we did at WDW. Walking at WDW *never* felt like exercise. I even liked walking from the buses to the park entrance, from the room to the food court, etc., I loved it all. If I was always this active I definitely wouldn't struggle with my weight as much as I do.

I had the most fun of my life and I can't wait to go back.

Tues Feb 3 - 23,713 steps

Wed Feb 4 - 16,453 steps

Thurs Feb 5 - 15,961 steps

Fri Feb 6 - 19,741 steps

Sat Feb 7 - 22,074 steps

Sun Feb 8 - 17,908 steps

Mon Feb 9 - 11,323 steps

Tues Feb 10 - 11,429 steps

Wed Feb 11 - 11,343 steps

Last edited:
I wanted to share my Fitbit screenshots from my Feb 2015 trip, mostly because I like looking at them. A few notes...we had 9 park days. The time on my Fitbit graphs are off by 3 hours because my Fitbit is set to west coast time and I never changed it. So 4 am is actually 7 am Florida time and 8 pm is actually 11 pm. Also I was sick the last 3 days so we took it easy sleeping late, less park time and spending more time at the resort, so less steps.

About 6 weeks prior to our trip I made a goal to get 10,000 steps a day every day which was a huge goal for me and I achieved it. WDW trips are a great motivator. I think that it definitely got us ready for all the walking we did at WDW. Walking at WDW *never* felt like exercise. I even liked walking from the buses to the park entrance, from the room to the food court, etc., I loved it all. If I was always this active I definitely wouldn't struggle with my weight as much as I do.

I had the most fun of my life and I can't wait to go back.

Tues Feb 3 - 23,713 steps

Wed Feb 4 - 16,453 steps

Thurs Feb 5 - 15,961 steps

Fri Feb 6 - 19,741 steps

Sat Feb 7 - 22,074 steps

Sun Feb 8 - 17,908 steps

Mon Feb 9 - 11,323 steps

Tues Feb 10 - 11,429 steps

Wed Feb 11 - 11,343 steps

Those are fun charts! It is crazy how much you can walk there and not even know it. We had an epic 27,000 step day on our last trip and it did take a long soak in ice water for my feet to recover. But if I tried to walk that much at home, I think I would fall over!

Day 4, Thurs 6/25

Logged all my food in MFP. I ate all my regular calories plus most of my exercise calories. If I didn’t have those extra exercise calories, usually 400+, I would never make it since MFP allots me 1300-some calories based on my stats & goals and that’s just way too low, but 1800-ish like I’ve been eating usually satisfies me and I still have slow & steady weight loss. Drank about 8 cups of water.

Took 10,431 steps today. I have to admit that I would not have met my step goal today if it wasn’t for my husband. I was really struggling. Of course saved all my walking until the evening. We’re having a heatwave here and unless I start getting up earlier, I have to do my walking in the evenings which is not my preference. Anyway, DH has a broken toe (we think, not officially diagnosed) but offered to walk with me and see how he did and except for one twinge he was feeling fine. I got my usual around-the-house steps plus steps from another quick trip to the store where I remembered to park farther away for extra steps and then all the rest was done outside with hubby. I’m so glad to have my walking buddy back!

Day 5, Fri 6/26

Logged all my food in MFP. Went about 22 calories over. Thought a lot about swiss rolls and cake today but I didn’t succumb although if it was right in front of me I know I would eat it. Posting here really seems to help keep me on track and I hope that it stays that way. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with how long the journey will be but I know I should just worry about today and that the rest will all fall in line. Didn't drink enough water today because I lost track of my water bottle at least twice today for a few hours. I gotta be better about that.

Took 10,367 steps today. As you can see I’m walking just enough to get my 10,000 and that’s it. It was something like 87 degrees when we went for our walk around 8:30 p.m. Yuck. At least there was a little bit of a breeze. I’ll take a warm breeze over no breeze. DH went with me and no pain in his toe. Yay! Got almost all my steps on our walk, plus the usual around-the-house steps and *another* quick trip to the store, we were running low on produce. This time I parked at the garden entrance and walked through the entire store to the grocery section and then back. Got about 900 steps doing that. Every bit helps. Needed about 1,000 more at the very end of the day and barely made it just before midnight walking on the first-level of the house to another Disney trip video on YouTube.

Last edited:
Day 6, Sat 6/27

Hmm...yeah, well that happened...

Logged all my food in MFP...eventually. Breakfast & lunch were normal and then I binged with dinner and dessert. I usually get 1800+ calories with MFP including exercise calories. I ate over 4000 calories today. <<<That's not a typo. And I didn't earn my usual amount of exercise calories which I will detail later. I'm okay with the occasional high-calorie day, I actually think it can be good for not to eat the same number of calories each day/trick the body but today I took it way too far. I'm not really sure why I did, for some reason it's all or nothing with me, I really need to change that attitude. That attitude has gotten me into a lot of trouble throughout my life and not just with eating and exercise. Even if I did consciously decide to exceed my calories, I really didn't have to eat quite that many. I was stuffed and guilty afterwards. But I'm not giving up. Also, I didn't keep track of my water but I'm sure it wasn't enough. I still hope to have a loss this week especially since this is my first week back on track. Monday is weigh-in day.

3,585 steps today. Not my 10,000 goal. I took an early afternoon 20 minute walk around the house today to get the bulk of of those 3000+ steps. I did not do my usual walking later on and probably won't for at least one more day, maybe two. I have a blister bigger than a quarter on the ball of my right foot and have for several days. I was hoping it would get better, I've had blisters before, they're usually not so persistent but this one is. I switched shoes yesterday but too little too late. The damage is deep because I didn't take a break sooner. I didn't want to miss a day of walking... It would start to feel better and then the continued walking regressed it to a point that it wasn't starting to feel better at all anymore. I've had lots of blisters before but never one like this.

So when I realized that I would be taking a two or three day break from walking I decided to look up chair workouts on YouTube. I read about another WISHer doing that on the Jiminy thread I think. So I found a 30 minute one and did it and I was dripping sweat halfway through. Keep in mind I'm very much out of shape plus it's still pretty hot here. By the end was feeling shaky, a good muscley shaky, so I'm happy I did it. I don't think it's as great as walking 10k+ steps every day but still a good workout. It is pretty neat though how much good free content there is online for working out, losing weight, etc.

Till tomorrow. Keep up the great work fellow WISHers.

Last edited:
Ouch! Blister sounds painful. I'm intrigued by the chair workout. Sounds like a great way to start strength training doe the very beginner.

Day 7, Sun 6/28

I'm falling behind on my updates... I think posting here is helping though because I think I would have quit by now otherwise, probably on Day 2.

Logged all my food in MFP. I didn't earn any exercise calories but made good choices and didn't overeat even though I'm always thinking about food. Drank 12+ cups water.

Second day of walking break, will probably do at least one more and then maybe ramp up the steps from there. I did walk hmm...about five minutes or so around the house to both test my foot and also because I couldn't bear not reaching at least 1,000 steps. Since I work from home if I don't run errands or do walking outside, I'm lucky if I break 1,000 steps. Total steps today: 1,851. I think I'm doing the right thing letting the foot heal but still I feel kind of like I'm failing. Also, I didn't do the chair workout which I have no excuse. I had enough time and at least it would have been something. Hopefully I'll make a better choice tomorrow. Surprisingly that workout did make me a little sore the next day. I like achy muscles when it comes to working out, makes me feel like I did something.

Week 1 Weigh-In Results

Started at 257.8
Lost 2.8 lbs
Down to 255 even

I was far from hitting all my marks this week so I'm glad to still see a loss. I can't wait to see those pounds lost start adding up.

2.8/50.8 pounds lost

217 days til Disney!!

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far! I like how you track calories, food and exercise. I do exactly the same thing in a journal and IMHO it really works well in helping me keep my fitness and weight situation under control. As you get into better shape and drop that next dress size, it will really keep the motivation going! I am cheering for you!

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far! I like how you track calories, food and exercise. I do exactly the same thing in a journal and IMHO it really works well in helping me keep my fitness and weight situation under control. As you get into better shape and drop that next dress size, it will really keep the motivation going! I am cheering for you!

Awesome week one! Yay!!!

Thank you both so much!!

Day 8 of 224, Mon 6/29

Logged all my food in MFP but lost track of my water. Came in just under 1800 calories even though I didn't earn any exercise calories. I don't care, I'm not eating 1300-some which is what they give me without exercise. I'd feel starved and quit immediately. I think eating a few more calories will be okay for now, at least until I get back to walking which will be soon.

I can't believe how much I miss walking outside! So maybe in a roundabout way getting this horrid blister was a good thing because it made me realize how much I really do miss the exercise, and for more than just burning calories and weight loss. I like the sense of accomplishment, talking and planning with DH, tiring my dog out, sweating (only during exercise do I like sweating though haha) and just the way I feel afterwards, lighter in spirit I guess.

I played a silly game with myself to get over a 1,000 steps today since I'm not back to walking outside quite yet. I'm starting back up tomorrow, although slowly. So today, I picked up something to put away, just one thing and then walked the whole first-level and then put away another thing. I put away things like keys, dishes from the drying rack (one at a time haha), TV remote, etc. Got me some steps and the downstairs was completely picked up when I was done. It would have only taken 2 minutes normally but my silly game stretched it out to 10. Sure my dog looked at me like I was a weirdo to which I replied, why yes, yes I am. Ended the day with 2,583 steps.

Day 9 of 224, Tues 6/30

Logged all my food in my MFP and ate about 1750 calories which was more than my daily calorie allotment plus exercise calories earned but still I think decent. Much more controlled than how I was eating before, basically a 24/7 buffet of the contents of my kitchen and lots of eating out. Once again lost track of my water. If I don't write it down immediately, it's gone from my mind and I don't want to guess wrong. Also, I'm addicted to sour watermelon Slurpees from 7-11 but they're a fun treat and I'm counting them.

Took 3,883 steps today. I took a 20 minute walk outside, gradually ramping up the walking again, seeing how the foot responds. Perfect until the end, then a bit sore. Still planning on doing a 60 minute walk outside tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. I ditched the offending shoes even though they were supposed to be a good brand and still looked new but they weren't good for my feet. Hopefully my backup pair will be better. I wish I could find the same ones I had last year and that I wore to Disney, they were great for me. I wore them completely through and still reluctantly threw them out, they were so comfortable on my feet.

I joined the DIS WISH Simba July weight loss challenge on the main DIS WISH page today. My goal is to do 14 x 20-minute Pilates workouts during the month of July. Maybe a bit ambitious for me going from 0 to 14 but they are short workouts, I'll just go my own pace to avoid getting overwhelmed. I think it's mind over matter.

Lastly, I'm thinking about changing my weigh-in days from Mondays to Saturdays, still mulling it over. If I do, I'll probably do it this coming weekend so Week 2 would be a short week. I think it'll work better for me.

Last edited:
Following along!
I got a Fitbit back in June and have been recording my meals on MFP. I fell off the wagon pretty hard a couple weeks ago but jumped back on Monday! I only get 1200 calories from MFP so it makes it hard sometimes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!