Besties Eat, Drink and runDisney - A November PTR - Updated 10/25

So, I told myself I was not going to mess with these plans till after the first couple Halloween parties, but now that times for parades are out, and pretty different from last year I'm thinking about what changes I'll need to make to the later half of my plans. The parade will be at 9:15 and 11:15 this year. Fireworks are at 10:15. Hocus Pocus can be caught at 8:35, 10:45 and midnight. There's one earlier show, but it won't work with our plans. I think I have to decide how important my view is for Hallowishes. In the past i've watched Wishes and Holiday Wishes from the bridge between Liberty Square and the hub kind of by Sleepy Hollow and I'm curious if that would work and then we could just grab a spot for Hocus Pocus and the last parade. I also think I'll have time to do something over on the Adventureland/Frontierland side since I won't need to be at fireworks until after the first parade. Unless we stake out a spot in Frontierland-ish for the parade and follow it out for fireworks and the villians show? Hmmmmm....

And yes, these are the things that keep me up at night! LOL!

At least you HAVE some plans! I still have nothing! I think I'm kind of holding off until people start going to the party…I guess that's the luxury of going to one of the last parties, we can learn from everyone..what works and what doesn't :-)

WINE & DINE HALF MARATHON WEEKEND MEDALS!

Today Disney revealed the medals for Wine & Dine weekend! This is always an exciting day! So, without further ado...

2017wd10kmedal.jpg

The 10K medal is modeled after a luggage tag. I think this is pretty cute.

2017wdhalfmedal.jpg

The Half medal is modeled after a plane ticket. This one I'm not 100% sure about.

2017wdchallengemedal.jpg 2017wdchallengemedal2.jpg

And the challenge medal! I am loving this one! I love that they incorporated the 35th anniversary of Epcot! Super cute!

Overall, I like that they thought outside the box with the medals. I love that they incorporated the 35th anniversary of Epcot in the medal, as well as World Showcase, which is one of my favorites.

What do you think of the medals?

WINE & DINE HALF MARATHON WEEKEND MEDALS!

Today Disney revealed the medals for Wine & Dine weekend! This is always an exciting day! So, without further ado...

View attachment 259573

The 10K medal is modeled after a luggage tag. I think this is pretty cute.

View attachment 259579

The Half medal is modeled after a plane ticket. This one I'm not 100% sure about.

View attachment 259580 View attachment 259581

And the challenge medal! I am loving this one! I love that they incorporated the 35th anniversary of Epcot! Super cute!

Overall, I like that they thought outside the box with the medals. I love that they incorporated the 35th anniversary of Epcot in the medal, as well as World Showcase, which is one of my favorites.

What do you think of the medals?

I think they are cute! I'm not sure I LOVE the half (what color is it? kinda weird…) but I like that my girl Minnie is on there. Mike may be disappointed that Remy isn't on any medals.

Thanks for sharing! I am going to have to (finally!) make an update to my PTR now!

Ugh! That sucks about your knee. Having to take time off from running is the worst. I mean if I choose to be lazy and not run for a bit then no biggie. But tell me I have to NOT run due to injury and I go crazy. I had to take four weeks off for a hip injury a year ago and it was awful. Hope you heal quickly and completely.

I changed my plans again when discounts came out, so we are no longer staying at the Poly. But I am getting an extra day in the beginning and sneaking in the Halloween Party on the 1st and I am super excited!

Funny how that works isn't it! If it was laziness I'd be fine with sitting out, but I am literally chomping at the bit because of being ordered not to run!

Yay for going to the Halloween party on the first! That is an awesome addition! I'll be there so if you see me, say hi! Where did you land for resorts now that you're not at the Poly? I think the trade off for the extra day and the Halloween party are worth it!

At least you HAVE some plans! I still have nothing! I think I'm kind of holding off until people start going to the party…I guess that's the luxury of going to one of the last parties, we can learn from everyone..what works and what doesn't :-)

Yes, it's definitely a luxury of going to one of the last parties. I've gone to the first Christmas party a few times and it will be so much easier planning for Halloween being at the end. We'll just suck up all the knowledge and details passed on to us! :)

Sorry to read about your knee. I hope the shot works out and your back outdoors catching a cool breeze!
Really wish Disney would just come out and publish all the information for MNSSHP - but nooooo. I think they like being in the closet. :sad2:

You are so right Gretchen...I totally can talk myself out of a run for sure laziness and not feel anything...but being told that you can't do something makes not being able to do it worse. I keep testing out the ankle a little more each week, not under the okay of the doctor but I am. In fact I am getting a second opinion on Tuesday because I am so over this ankle.

I like the medals. I think they are something different and fun!

WDW News Today is reporting that Annual Passholders with be able to collect Remy buttons.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/08/annua...ouille-buttons-2017-epcot-food-wine-festival/

@randumb0 this might be the AP gift this year.....

This was in the F&W Festival thread, but thought it might pertain to some readers of my trip report. This is what they are saying will be handed out to AP's this year at the festival. I was worried about missing my AP due to the gift, but I guess I don't have to worry about that! :rotfl2:

Sorry to read about your knee. I hope the shot works out and your back outdoors catching a cool breeze!
Really wish Disney would just come out and publish all the information for MNSSHP - but nooooo. I think they like being in the closet. :sad2:

Thanks! I am hoping to be back out soon. Might give it a go tomorrow.

I feel like they really do enjoy being in the closet because they never seem to give us any info beforehand, do they? :scratchin

You are so right Gretchen...I totally can talk myself out of a run for sure laziness and not feel anything...but being told that you can't do something makes not being able to do it worse. I keep testing out the ankle a little more each week, not under the okay of the doctor but I am. In fact I am getting a second opinion on Tuesday because I am so over this ankle.

I like the medals. I think they are something different and fun!

Ugh, I hope the second opinion is more promising then what your experience has been thus far. Crossing my fingers for you! I was only told a week so I'm debating on testing my knee out this weekend, but also really scared to do so. When I took the oldest man child to the doc yesterday for a vaccine the nurse asked me how my knee was and said it made sense that it was bothering me Wed and should be starting to feel better in the next couple of days. I live up two flights of stairs so I've just tried to avoid them as much as possible. It's hard knowing running wont' hurt, but probably won't help either. :confused3 But since I was only told a week of rest I might try a short run tomorrow.

This was in the F&W Festival thread, but thought it might pertain to some readers of my trip report. This is what they are saying will be handed out to AP's this year at the festival. I was worried about missing my AP due to the gift, but I guess I don't have to worry about that! :rotfl2:

:rotfl:I know I saw the 3 cent pin and thought how lame!!!! Can't imagine standing in line for that either! :sad2:

Just found your trip report and so glad I did!!! I run Princess every year with a bunch of my girlfriends but decided to add Wine and Dine this year. It will be a family trip but I will be running with my bestie and her daughter!! We are staying at Boardwalk too! Don't be surprised if a tall blonde runs up and says hi :-)

Hope your knee feels better! I sympathize, I have had loads of knee issues. Just starting to really get into my training cycle for Nov. We are about the same pace, will get fun to follow along with you!!

Just found your trip report and so glad I did!!! I run Princess every year with a bunch of my girlfriends but decided to add Wine and Dine this year. It will be a family trip but I will be running with my bestie and her daughter!! We are staying at Boardwalk too! Don't be surprised if a tall blonde runs up and says hi :-)

Hope your knee feels better! I sympathize, I have had loads of knee issues. Just starting to really get into my training cycle for Nov. We are about the same pace, will get fun to follow along with you!!

:welcome: to the party! I've run Princess a few times as well. Love that race! But I love Food & Wine and Wine & Dine too! So much fun! Yes, totally run up and say hi! I'd love that!

Thanks! I was going to run today, but my knee was really sore last night so now I'm nervous. :sad2: I'm wondering if it had to do with the rain we got though because my knee felt fine up until it was about to rain. I stretched it out and it feels better this morning. It's almost 10 so if I'm going to go I should go. I never thought I would be this indecisive on running!

Funny how that works isn't it! If it was laziness I'd be fine with sitting out, but I am literally chomping at the bit because of being ordered not to run!

Yay for going to the Halloween party on the first! That is an awesome addition! I'll be there so if you see me, say hi! Where did you land for resorts now that you're not at the Poly? I think the trade off for the extra day and the Halloween party are worth it.

We are going to do a split stay. 11/1-11/5 at POFQ then 11/5-11/7 at Yacht Club. I had like two full pages of numbers with the different resorts available, different split stay combinations, how much the MNSSHP ticket and flight change would cost me, and how much I would "save" by changing. I was able to add Park Hopper to our tickets as well and it still ended up being over $800 less. Even though I did struggle for a moment when it came time to actually cancel the Poly!! I know I would much rather have the extra day and get to attend the party. I have not been since 2014. Now I just have to come up with a Party plan and decide if I am going to do any type of costume. I will definitely say :wave: if I see you guys at the Party!

How is the knee this week?

We are going to do a split stay. 11/1-11/5 at POFQ then 11/5-11/7 at Yacht Club. I had like two full pages of numbers with the different resorts available, different split stay combinations, how much the MNSSHP ticket and flight change would cost me, and how much I would "save" by changing. I was able to add Park Hopper to our tickets as well and it still ended up being over $800 less. Even though I did struggle for a moment when it came time to actually cancel the Poly!! I know I would much rather have the extra day and get to attend the party. I have not been since 2014. Now I just have to come up with a Party plan and decide if I am going to do any type of costume. I will definitely say :wave: if I see you guys at the Party!

How is the knee this week?

French Quarter and Yacht Club aren't too shabby! ;) Sounds like a good trade off! The knee is ok. Feeling better, but I'm nervous to test it out, but I guess I have to suck it up and get it done!

WINE & DINE COURSE UPDATES!

Soooooo, someone on the Wine & Dine thread noticed some changes on the runDisney website...

What changes you ask? Well, the start locations for the races have been updated! It's now listed as Magic Kingdom for the 10K and half, and Animal Kingdom for the 5K. My hope is that this means they're going to use the Dark Side half route for the half marathon. I loved that route! I liked the 10K as well so I'd be happy with these changes.

2017-dark-side-half-marathon-map-official_1_orig.jpg

I really enjoyed that the Dark Side Half last year included three parks. I didn't mind 3-4 miles to get from one to the other because I knew I had those parks to look forward to during the road time vs. hitting Animal Kingdom last year and then pretty much being all road time for the rest of the race. I also really hope to run through World Showcase and enjoy it for this race vs. Dark Side where I was suffering from a stress fracture and just done by the end of the race when we got to World Showcase! I do wonder how the gondola construction will play in to things, but I am hoping the backstage entrances we'd need will be freed up by then if they are blocked now.

Of course, we won't really know the course until much closer to race day, but this speculation makes me a happy camper! What do you think of this possible course?

DARN YOU RUNDISNEY...opening more bibs, cute medals and now maybe this course...

rundisney.jpg

Just kidding...for now anyway but if runDisney keeps poking me....

I am very excited for this course!!! Most people seemed really pleased with the Dark Side Course this year. I especially love the idea of running the World Showcase. After signing up I read the old Wine and Dine thread and there was a real lack of love for the course and it made me a bit nervous to have committed to the race.
I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the challenge. From a training standpoint I think I could easily accomplish it. I started my training earlier, because I like to spend a few runs at a distance before I move on. Basically I would just need to start running back to back medium/long distance runs to get myself used to it. However it is quite a bit of money to upgrade and I am worried about exhausting myself since I plan to spend a good amount of time in the Parks as well. And while I appreciate the idea and effort put behind these medals, I don't LOVE them. The challenge medal is probably my favorite and I think that is what is driving me to consider the challenge. That and Fear of Missing Out/regretting later that I never did it. Like how I regret never having signed up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler.

DARN YOU RUNDISNEY...opening more bibs, cute medals and now maybe this course...

Just kidding...for now anyway but if runDisney keeps poking me....

The struggle is real @momabaarjo and you know you want to sign up! But then again, being able to relax and enjoy and let your foot heal is also important!

I am very excited for this course!!! Most people seemed really pleased with the Dark Side Course this year. I especially love the idea of running the World Showcase. After signing up I read the old Wine and Dine thread and there was a real lack of love for the course and it made me a bit nervous to have committed to the race.
I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the challenge. From a training standpoint I think I could easily accomplish it. I started my training earlier, because I like to spend a few runs at a distance before I move on. Basically I would just need to start running back to back medium/long distance runs to get myself used to it. However it is quite a bit of money to upgrade and I am worried about exhausting myself since I plan to spend a good amount of time in the Parks as well. And while I appreciate the idea and effort put behind these medals, I don't LOVE them. The challenge medal is probably my favorite and I think that is what is driving me to consider the challenge. That and Fear of Missing Out/regretting later that I never did it. Like how I regret never having signed up for the Tower of Terror 10 miler.

Last year's course left something to be desired for sure! I loved the Dark Side course though so I am seriously stoked about this possibility/likelihood!

I'll say that you could totally bump up training wise. I've only run up to 6 miles so far and this weekend on the Jeff Galloway plan is 8 miles. Next week is when the back to back runs are supposed to start. The Challenge medal is probably my favorite as well so I understand that pull. I'll share two personal things. In 2015 I ran the 5K and 10K for Princess. They were my first runs ever. I literally got off the couch to train for these runs. Yet when they were done I really thought I could have trained for the half that year and regretted not doing it. Mostly it was my fear that kept me from doing it. I signed up for W&D in 2015 when it became the half of a half and ironically had my first official half at Princess 2016 when I ran the Glass Slipper Challenge (actually all three races that weekend). The hardest part honestly is being up so early multiple mornings. But I tend to fit in as much park time as possible so it's doable.

And I wish I'd gotten to do Tower of Terror as well! :( I had actually planned to do that in 2015, but we all know that didn't happen! ;)

WINE & DINE COURSE UPDATES!

Soooooo, someone on the Wine & Dine thread noticed some changes on the runDisney website...

What changes you ask? Well, the start locations for the races have been updated! It's now listed as Magic Kingdom for the 10K and half, and Animal Kingdom for the 5K. My hope is that this means they're going to use the Dark Side half route for the half marathon. I loved that route! I liked the 10K as well so I'd be happy with these changes.

View attachment 261852

I really enjoyed that the Dark Side Half last year included three parks. I didn't mind 3-4 miles to get from one to the other because I knew I had those parks to look forward to during the road time vs. hitting Animal Kingdom last year and then pretty much being all road time for the rest of the race. I also really hope to run through World Showcase and enjoy it for this race vs. Dark Side where I was suffering from a stress fracture and just done by the end of the race when we got to World Showcase! I do wonder how the gondola construction will play in to things, but I am hoping the backstage entrances we'd need will be freed up by then if they are blocked now.

Of course, we won't really know the course until much closer to race day, but this speculation makes me a happy camper! What do you think of this possible course?

So does this mean that the start could be near the TTC? I'm so hoping it is since we are staying at The Poly! I'm trying to figure it out from your map, but I am map-reading challenged :sad2:

So does this mean that the start could be near the TTC? I'm so hoping it is since we are staying at The Poly! I'm trying to figure it out from your map, but I am map-reading challenged :sad2:

I know for Dark Side they had a walking path from the Poly to the starting area...

Kalahari Getaway

This past week we visited Kalahari resort in the Poconos for my middle son's 7th birthday. He saw a lot of commercials for Great Wolf Lodge and my husband had visited the nearby Kalahari for a convention earlier in the year and loved it. Both were the same price, even with our military discount, so I booked Kalahari to try out. And we left for an "adventure" on Tuesday morning to surprise the middle son. (Summer birthdays are so hard so he's gotten a Disney trip one year and now Kalahari as a present/in lieu of a party.)

Kalahari by Gretchen Istre, on Flickr

I should mention that I am not a fan of water parks. They totally gross me out! But like most parents I'll try things for my kids so I found myself a little grossed out all weekend! :scared: However, my kids had a blast so it was all worth it!

Kalahari is supposed to be the largest indoor water park in the nation. They had a couple little "cove" areas. One was definitely geared toward itty bitties. The other had some small slides, a mini lazy river and other water features to play in. My littles really liked this area and we spent a lot of time in it. There was also a fort type area with the dumping water, water guns and some bigger slides. This was the other place we spent a lot of time. I went on one bigger slide and we all did the lazy river. I think the oldest child did a couple of other big slides on his own. The morning before we left we did the wave pool, but that freaked the middle out when the waves came. (He is not our adventurous child.) The kids also enjoyed the arcade after dinner.

We ate dinner at Brandberg Food & Drink in the main lobby. I thought the food was good, but the service was a little lacking. Our waitress was less than attentive and when we asked for more water she brought a carafe and refilled our glasses about 3/4 of the way, but ran out of water about 1/3 of the way through the oldest's glass and just said, "oh these are smaller than you expect" and walked away and never came back to check on us until she handed us the bill. My husband and I both had the steak burger, which was delicious! Oldest son had the cheesesteak which he raved about. The birthday boy had a cheese pizza and fries. Youngest had fish and chips. So, the food was good, but our server, not so much. And we noted his birthday and they wished him happy birthday, but didn't do anything for it, which is odd since normal restaurants will normally, but he didn't care too much since we had cupcakes back at the room.

My one other comment is that we booked the basic room and it had two double beds and a sofa bed. It was no thrills for sure. For what we paid it was a little underwhelming and we all noted that.

So, overall we had a good time. There was plenty in the waterpark for all of our kids to enjoy. It was good family time since we were electronics free at the water park. The coffee shop even gave the birthday boy a cupcake when we went to get coffee in the morning, which was very Disney-esque. The middle said it was the best birthday ever. He even said it was better than his Disney! :scared1: (He was three for that trip so I'll cut him some slack.) It was super crowded the day we arrived and we might try Great Wolf next time since they don't do day passes like Kalahari does. We would definitely go back though, and I'm actually thinking about doing something like this for the youngest since his birthday is right before Christmas. We'll see.

Last edited:
Kalahari Getaway

This past week we visited Kalahari resort in the Poconos for my middle son's 7th birthday. He saw a lot of commercials for Great Wolf Lodge and my husband had visited the nearby Kalahari for a convention earlier in the year and loved it. Both were the same price, even with our military discount, so I booked Kalahari to try out. And we left for an "adventure" on Tuesday morning to surprise the middle son. (Summer birthdays are so hard so he's gotten a Disney trip one year and now Kalahari as a present/in lieu of a party.)

I should mention that I am not a fan of water parks. They totally gross me out! But like most parents I'll try things for my kids so I found myself a little grossed out all weekend! :scared: However, my kids had a blast so it was all worth it!

Kalahari is supposed to be the largest indoor water park in the nation. They had a couple little "cove" areas. One was definitely geared toward itty bitties. The other had some small slides, a mini lazy river and other water features to play in. My littles really liked this area and we spent a lot of time in it. There was also a fort type area with the dumping water, water guns and some bigger slides. This was the other place we spent a lot of time. I went on one bigger slide and we all did the lazy river. I think the oldest child did a couple of other big slides on his own. The morning before we left we did the wave pool, but that freaked the middle out when the waves came. (He is not our adventurous child.) The kids also enjoyed the arcade after dinner.

We ate dinner at Brandberg Food & Drink in the main lobby. I thought the food was good, but the service was a little lacking. Our waitress was less than attentive and when we asked for more water she brought a carafe and refilled our glasses about 3/4 of the way, but ran out of water about 1/3 of the way through the oldest's glass and just said, "oh these are smaller than you expect" and walked away and never came back to check on us until she handed us the bill. My husband and I both had the steak burger, which was delicious! Oldest son had the cheesesteak which he raved about. The birthday boy had a cheese pizza and fries. Youngest had fish and chips. So, the food was good, but our server, not so much. And we noted his birthday and they wished him happy birthday, but didn't do anything for it, which is odd since normal restaurants will normally, but he didn't care too much since we had cupcakes back at the room.

My one other comment is that we booked the basic room and it had two double beds and a sofa bed. It was no thrills for sure. For what we paid it was a little underwhelming and we all noted that.

So, overall we had a good time. There was plenty in the waterpark for all of our kids to enjoy. It was good family time since we were electronics free at the water park. The coffee shop even gave the birthday boy a cupcake when we went to get coffee in the morning, which was very Disney-esque. The middle said it was the best birthday ever. He even said it was better than his Disney! :scared1: (He was three for that trip so I'll cut him some slack.) It was super crowded the day we arrived and we might try Great Wolf next time since they don't do day passes like Kalahari does. We would definitely go back though, and I'm actually thinking about doing something like this for the youngest since his birthday is right before Christmas. We'll see.

Great review! I've been looking at both Kalahari & Great Wolf in that area. We are thinking about doing a trip with my husband's family around Christmas. The room on the Kalahari site did look pretty blah-ish. Would you upgrade your room to a themed one next time or were you not in the room that much?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter