Best way to watch Happily Ever After from a wheelchair?

obisbondgirl

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, this is my first post in these boards, I've been lurking for about a year aha.

I have a trip to Disney World planned for my birthday in July. The last time I went was 4 years ago. I'm so glad to be heading back!

Currently in major planning mode now, booked all my fastpasses a few days ago. It is a longer trip so I plan to see each of the nightly shows once.

I use a manual wheelchair & I am quite small in stature, so my big concern with the night shows is being able to see & also fear of being stampeded upon aha. I have fastpasses for Illuminations, Fantasmic, and Rivers of Light so I should have a good spot for those. I also understand the Star Wars fireworks have a designated accessible area which I hope I can get a spot in if I am early enough.

That leaves me with Happily Ever After... I understand there is currently no designated accessible area for this one. And you need to be looking straight on at the castle to see the projections. And I've seen pictures of the crowds in the Hub area and it frightens me honestly aha. I know there are the dessert parties but... it will just be me & my mum & neither of us eat a ton and we don't really like sweets! So I can't really justify the cost. I am also not DVC so cannot utilize Top of the World lounge. I heard you can also watch from the Poly beach, but even if you are not staying there? I also don't know how well you can see the projections from the Poly...

I apologize for being particular! But I typically only go to Disney about once every 5 years and I hope to make the most of it. The crowds are worrying me enough to consider skipping that show but... I know I will regret it.

So I am just looking for any other ideas for a good view that is relatively safe for me aha.

Thank you all!

[QUOTE="obisbondgirl, post: 59241154, member: 623822"

That leaves me with Happily Ever After... I understand there is currently no designated accessible area for this one. And you need to be looking straight on at the castle to see the projections. And I've seen pictures of the crowds in the Hub area and it frightens me honestly aha. I know there are the dessert parties but... it will just be me & my mum & neither of us eat a ton and we don't really like sweets! So I can't really justify the cost. I am also not DVC so cannot utilize Top of the World lounge. I heard you can also watch from the Poly beach, but even if you are not staying there? I also don't know how well you can see the projections from the Poly...
[/QUOTE]

When I went in April there was a spot for wheelchair people it was right in front of the grassy area that had the dessert party you will need to get there early. Wit my Disability I can only see the fireworks show if I have a dessert party ticket I too do not eat a lot of desserts I go alone, So I know what you mean about wast of money ( I cry every time I have to do a dessert party it is one of the most depressing things at Disney for me)

Yes, you can go to the Polynesian resort even if you are not staying there to watch the fireworks from the beach. You can also do the same at the Grand Floridian and at the Contemporary resort which is a viewing area on one of the upper floors (4th? I think). They also pipe in the music. However, the best place is from the ferry dock at the Ticket and Transporatation Center. Or if you time it right you can view it by riding the ferry back and forth.

Yes, you can go to the Polynesian resort even if you are not staying there to watch the fireworks from the beach. You can also do the same at the Grand Floridian and at the Contemporary resort which is a viewing area on one of the upper floors (4th? I think). They also pipe in the music. However, the best place is from the ferry dock at the Ticket and Transporatation Center. Or if you time it right you can view it by riding the ferry back and forth.
But you can not see the projection on the castle

Oh that's good to hear that there is a designated area! I googled it but most of the information I could find was about a year old so perhaps they've added an area recently.

Yeah I'm fine with having the choice of a dessert part but I don't like when my choices are taken away because of my disability. It happens all the time but it doesn't make it less upsetting.

Oh that's a good idea, the ferry dock

It's not the best spot but the porch of the Crystal Palace restaurant is not bad. You are higher up; so, it's good that way. Some of the view is blocked by obstacles, but again it's not too bad.

The railroad station is elevated and provides a decent view. This gets very crowded. You are pretty far away, too.

Try to not go on the weekend for MK fireworks. Choose a week day.

Oh that's good to hear that there is a designated area! I googled it but most of the information I could find was about a year old so perhaps they've added an area recently.

Yeah I'm fine with having the choice of a dessert part but I don't like when my choices are taken away because of my disability. It happens all the time but it doesn't make it less upsetting.
Yes it was just added with in the last 6 months maybe sooner

I just used the handicapped viewing area last week. We got there early. The view is good. It's right by the Kodak picture sign and fence. I asked the cm if ds could stand behind me and she said yes.

he ended up sitting on the ledge in front of me.

it's so much better than being in the regular crowd. That was always such a free for all.

That is good to hear that it is a good spot, we will probably still do the desert package, but not the Tommorowland Terrace Seating, as it looks somewhat appealing to us and we will have two ECVs and a Service Dog.

I just used the handicapped viewing area last week. We got there early. The view is good. It's right by the Kodak picture sign and fence. I asked the cm if ds could stand behind me and she said yes.

he ended up sitting on the ledge in front of me.

it's so much better than being in the regular crowd. That was always such a free for all.

Glad to hear!

What bothers me the most is that it seems no matter where we park the wheelchair, there is always somebody standing in front of us who puts their child on their shoulders, so my son can't see much of anything from his wheelchair. I hope the wheelchair access takes care of that problem. We will see in October.

What bothers me the most is that it seems no matter where we park the wheelchair, there is always somebody standing in front of us who puts their child on their shoulders, so my son can't see much of anything from his wheelchair. I hope the wheelchair access takes care of that problem. We will see in October.
Yeah, personally I think wheelchair seating should always be at the front of any crowd that might be standing, as people standing behind them can always see over them.

Yeah, personally I think wheelchair seating should always be at the front of any crowd that might be standing, as people standing behind them can always see over them.

I was watching Tim Tracker's videos on his trip to the Japanese Disney parks. It seems that everyone sits (on the ground) for the fireworks there? Made me really want to go there!

I didn't know this area existed -I love the dis ; so informative.

Slightly off topic- last month dd1 wanted to watch the parade -We don't usually watch fireworks or parades due to many of ops listed reasons...
However, we sat (beside Tony's; no one else around us) and waited entertaining ourselves in the heat!
A woman pushed her child next to me ( I'm still actually intrigued how-never mind why?!) I had my legs extended in my chair- I kindly asked the girl to move & give me back my millimetres of space!!
Dd & I had a bit of a laugh over that one..
When the parade was actually ongoing -2 children appeared in front of my dd-
Wellllll; no way was that happening. She hadn't been since 2005 & was not having anyone block her view.
We were at the front-i.e. No space in front of us!
I asked them to move & then a cm actually reprimanded them for being on Main Street.

By the way-my eldest daughter is 30, lols.

Are family members allowed in the viewing area with someone using a power chair? I wouldn't want to take space from someone who needed to use the area but we would prefer to be able to stay together too.

Are family members allowed in the viewing area with someone using a power chair? I wouldn't want to take space from someone who needed to use the area but we would prefer to be able to stay together too.
Yes but I think there is a limit not sure what the number is but I would think 1 or 2 would be fine

Usually they inform the pusher or companion that they need to stand behind the scooter or wheelchair during the event.

Yes yes yes!

Now I let me preface to say I am not in a wheel chair but I guess I have a better awareness of my surroundings.

When we went a few years ago we stopped to watch wishes at the hub. We had pretty good viewing spot. There was a dad in a wheel chair and I think his daughter that came by us shortly after. There was a guy in front of us, I want to say on the road and we were up on the curb. All was fine as we could all see.

Well wishes starts and this guy put his kid on his shoulders so she could see. I am sorry but put your kid on your hip if there are others behind you OR stake out a place earlier!

I looked to my husband and I am sure rolled my eyes and then I looked at the dad and daughter and you could see distress because now the dad couldn’t see. Now I am generally quiet and avoid confrontation but I said to the guy with the kid on his shoulders that the gentleman behind him in the w/c could no longer see. Thankfully he was not so much of a jerk and took his kid down.

It really annoys me! I am all for kids getting to see but really!

Don’t get me started at the Yankee game I was just at an an older person...aka 30/40/my age, was sticking her hand thru my and inches from my son to get an autograph. I seriously blocked her as best as I could. At first my son didn’t realize why I was resting my hand on the top of his head and then he turned and saw fingers inches from us eye. People respect others spaces!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!