Best way to see Atlantis

We did the Comfort Suites thing, too, it was great. I looked it up on TripAdvisor, too, and there are a lot of people there doing the same thing. I wonder if anyone ever sleeps in those rooms LOL. Housekeeping must love this!

Oh, they didn't have that when we went. That's a cool option, too. I wonder why Disney allows that? They miss out on their upcharge then. Weird.

it's not that Disney allows it, it's rather that Disney does not have a monopoly on Atlantis and that Atlantis can sell their own day passes.

I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me. As I understand it, getting a room reservation at Comfort Suites gives those guests the right to PURCHASE a day pass at Atlantis, correct? Or, does being a guest at Comfort Suites give access to Atlantis without having to pay more money? I understand that passengers on DCL already have the right to purchase a day pass by showing their Key to the World Card, so I'm trying to understand why a DCL passenger would get a reservation at Comfort Suites if they already have the right to purchase a day pass. Thanks for any help in clearing this up for me.

I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me. As I understand it, getting a room reservation at Comfort Suites gives those guests the right to PURCHASE a day pass at Atlantis, correct? Or, does being a guest at Comfort Suites give access to Atlantis without having to pay more money? I understand that passengers on DCL already have the right to purchase a day pass by showing their Key to the World Card, so I'm trying to understand why a DCL passenger would get a reservation at Comfort Suites if they already have the right to purchase a day pass. Thanks for any help in clearing this up for me.
From what I've read, the pass comes with the room. You don't pay extra for it.

I'm trying to understand why a DCL passenger would get a reservation at Comfort Suites if they already have the right to purchase a day pass. Thanks for any help in clearing this up for me.
There is no 'right' to buy a day pass. There is the 'privilege' of buying a day pass, if they are being sold. Atlantis occasionally/often is sold-out and doesn't sell any day passes at all. Comfort Suites guests have the 'right' to go to Atlantis even if day passes are sold-out.

From what I've read, the pass comes with the room. You don't pay extra for it.

This is correct.

There is no 'right' to buy a day pass. There is the 'privilege' of buying a day pass, if they are being sold. Atlantis occasionally/often is sold-out and doesn't sell any day passes at all. Comfort Suites guests have the 'right' to go to Atlantis even if day passes are sold-out.

Thanks all very much. I really appreciate the info. Also, thanks for correcting me on the "right" versus "privilege" idea...that concept I already understood, I was just sloppy with my word choice. One last question, though: what kind of access do Comfort Suites guests get to Atlantis? Is it limited in any way as far as attractions go? I know from reading the prior posts that there is access to the water park, but what about the marine habitats and The Dig? My family (OK, my 8-year-old son) is way more interested in seeing the marine life than anything else at Atlantis and we don't really want to waste our time going out there unless we know we can see all of the marine animals. Thanks again!

Also, thanks for correcting me on the "right" versus "privilege" idea...that concept I already understood, I was just sloppy with my word choice.
Sorry about being pedantitic. It happens sometimes. My point is that there are times Atlantis does not sell any day passes, and only people who are Atlantis guests (including CS) and pre-booked cruise excursions are admitted
One last question, though: what kind of access do Comfort Suites guests get to Atlantis? Is it limited in any way as far as attractions go? I know from reading the prior posts that there is access to the water park, but what about the marine habitats and The Dig? My family (OK, my 8-year-old son) is way more interested in seeing the marine life than anything else at Atlantis and we don't really want to waste our time going out there unless we know we can see all of the marine animals. Thanks again!
No limits on CS guests...they are Atlantis guests for all practical purposes. The only 'exclusive' spots at Atlantis are two pool areas on the far edge of the property that are only for guests in the Cove and Reef towers. But these are non-feature pools and there's no marine life attractions there. Just swanky/luxury pool areas.

As far as marine life, there are lots of exhibits over near the Beach and Coral towers, which is an area cruisers usually don't venture over to. But CS guests are welcome there.

Note that there are some interactive fish feedings he can take part in:
atlantean-copy-1-jpg.305072

Also, take a look at my post about the Junior Ultimate Trainer for a Day at Dolphin Cay.

Sorry about being pedantitic. It happens sometimes. My point is that there are times Atlantis does not sell any day passes, and only people who are Atlantis guests (including CS) and pre-booked cruise excursions are admittedNo limits on CS guests...they are Atlantis guests for all practical purposes. The only 'exclusive' spots at Atlantis are two pool areas on the far edge of the property that are only for guests in the Cove and Reef towers. But these are non-feature pools and there's no marine life attractions there. Just swanky/luxury pool areas.

As far as marine life, there are lots of exhibits over near the Beach and Coral towers, which is an area cruisers usually don't venture over to. But CS guests are welcome there.

Note that there are some interactive fish feedings he can take part in:
atlantean-copy-1-jpg.305072

Also, take a look at my post about the Junior Ultimate Trainer for a Day at Dolphin Cay.

WOW!!! Thanks so much for your reply! That is really helpful. I really appreciate it.

So, OP here. After all that research (thanks everyone) I just cancelled my CS reservation.

This will be the shortest cruise - DCL or otherwise - that we have ever been on, but not the cheapest by a longshot. In fact, it is almost as much as our first DCL cruise - a 14 night WBTA. Anyhoo, I love just being on the ship and given we only have about 68 hours on the ship, and 24 of those we will be sleeping, I don't think I want to pay MORE money to spend LESS time on the ship.

My boys are a little disappointed as they really want to go to Atlantis, but they understood. And I promised them we would do it either while on a longer trip, or a cheaper cruise(line) or just go there someday.

We have booked a room at Comfort Suites and Atlantis in the past, most recently in January. Do a mock booking and see which is cheapest. When I checked for our last two trips, Atlantis was requiring a 2 night stay so that took them out of the running. Get off the ship as early as you can to beat crowds to resort and you won't have lines at the waterpark for the first few hours. We also order several Uncrustables from room service on ship the night before and ask that they not be thawed out, just leave them frozen and sealed, put them in our fridge overnight and then in our daypacks and they make great snacks/lunches for the kids if that appeals to you. We also have the cab driver stop at a liquor store and we pick up beer/beverages and throw them in our lined beach bag (you can get ice from your room steward on ship or buy some at store). A coke at Atlantis is around $10, fyi. My beach bag isn't really a cooler, but it's lined with heavy plastic, I guess for wet suits or something, so it works for a few hours as a "cooler" at Atlantis (bring a Yeti mug to pour your beverages into). No need to bring towels from the ship, you will get them at Atlantis. I have found a "beach locker" or Kyss bag to be very worthwhile at waterparks or beaches. Google them online. It's a way to store your valuables on your lounge chair while you're swimming without worry. We like to make "home base" near the "Baths" pool. It's a great pool and easy access to beach and water slides/rapid river. Walk through the "Dig"/aquarium on your way out of resort (or do it if it rains) and catch a cab outside Atlantis lobby, there will be several. We've always left an hour before all aboard time and made it back with plenty of time to spare, but ask your driver in the morning what time they recommend as there could be events causing extra traffic through town. This is how we do Atlantis to save money and get some extra time there. If you do Comfort Suites, you will have to stand in a line there to check in and then another one across the street in the Beach Towers lobby of Atlantis to get wrist bands (its a bit of a walk but not terrible), so if the room price directly thru Atlantis is comparable, book your room there. You can google a map of the property ahead of time to get your bearings, it's a huge resort. Have fun!

We have booked a room at Comfort Suites and Atlantis in the past, most recently in January. Do a mock booking and see which is cheapest. When I checked for our last two trips, Atlantis was requiring a 2 night stay so that took them out of the running. Get off the ship as early as you can to beat crowds to resort and you won't have lines at the waterpark for the first few hours. We also order several Uncrustables from room service on ship the night before and ask that they not be thawed out, just leave them frozen and sealed, put them in our fridge overnight and then in our daypacks and they make great snacks/lunches for the kids if that appeals to you. We also have the cab driver stop at a liquor store and we pick up beer/beverages and throw them in our lined beach bag (you can get ice from your room steward on ship or buy some at store). A coke at Atlantis is around $10, fyi. My beach bag isn't really a cooler, but it's lined with heavy plastic, I guess for wet suits or something, so it works for a few hours as a "cooler" at Atlantis (bring a Yeti mug to pour your beverages into). No need to bring towels from the ship, you will get them at Atlantis. I have found a "beach locker" or Kyss bag to be very worthwhile at waterparks or beaches. Google them online. It's a way to store your valuables on your lounge chair while you're swimming without worry. We like to make "home base" near the "Baths" pool. It's a great pool and easy access to beach and water slides/rapid river. Walk through the "Dig"/aquarium on your way out of resort (or do it if it rains) and catch a cab outside Atlantis lobby, there will be several. We've always left an hour before all aboard time and made it back with plenty of time to spare, but ask your driver in the morning what time they recommend as there could be events causing extra traffic through town. This is how we do Atlantis to save money and get some extra time there. If you do Comfort Suites, you will have to stand in a line there to check in and then another one across the street in the Beach Towers lobby of Atlantis to get wrist bands (its a bit of a walk but not terrible), so if the room price directly thru Atlantis is comparable, book your room there. You can google a map of the property ahead of time to get your bearings, it's a huge resort. Have fun!

Thanks for this post. We are doing another cruise in March, but this time just me and my 11 year old, so I think the best option for us will be the day pass. Good tip about asking your morning driver about the best time to catch a cab in the afternoon.

Oh, they didn't have that when we went. That's a cool option, too. I wonder why Disney allows that? They miss out on their upcharge then. Weird.
With this option aren’t you out the money if by some chance the ship can’t dock? I think I read you have 15 days prior to cancel or no refunds?

I looked at the website earlier and IIRC it said that no cancellations/refunds at all, rain or shine, UNLESS, your ship doesn't dock. The bigger risk would be if we were unable to make our cruise for some reason -- I would have to see if our trip insurance covers that. For an 11 year old and one adult, the day passes would cost $260, which is about $150 less than DCL, but doesn't include lunch or transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter