Best way to see Atlantis

GatorMomInNC

DIS Veteran
We are thrilled to be going on the Disney Dream over Memorial Day Weekend (5/25). It will be our first time on the Dream - and complete our Grand Slam! - and my husband's first time on DCL.

We've been to Nassau before and would normally stay on board, but my son really wants to go to the water park at Atlantis. I've been researching the different options, but I was hoping to get some input from people who may have done this before.

1) Book DCL excursion. For the 4 (2a 2k) of us this is $800!!! Pros: includes transportation and lunch, will be dropped off right at the hotel, apparently, and no worries about getting back on time and missing the ship. cons: $800!?!?! Seriously??

2) Use points from Marriott (40k) to book a room, and only use it for the "daypass" option. Pros: no cash. Cons; The RIDICULOUS cancellation policy is that if you don't cancel 15 days before hand and don't show up they will charge you 2 nights' going rate - which currently equals $1500!! So if we get sick right before the cruise, or there is a storm and the Dream can't dock, we lose $1500!

3) Book a day pass directly from Atlantis. Cost: about $550 -$600 (I checked the other day but I can't remember the exact amount). Pros: Save some money ($200) over DCL excursion Cons: Doesn't include lunch or transportation and have to go and check in when you get there, which eats up time. I'm guessing lunch for 4 at Atlantis will probably run about $100, so really not saving that much.

4) Book at Comfort Suites. Cost: less than $400. Pros: Big money savings Cons: Does it really work? Seems too good to be true. Also, from what I have read, we have to take a cab there to check in and out, then somehow walk or cab again to Atlantis, go to some place and get our wrist bands, and then we would get in. So sounds like kind of a hassle.

But this would we be worth it to save $400, I just want to make sure there is no trick or extra charge if we book a room at Comfort Suites. Do we really have the same, full access to the water park? Can we just leave straight from Atlantis to the ship when we are done, or do we have to go back to CS for some reason? Has anyone done this and can give me some input?

Thanks!!

There was a thread here recently about Comfort Suites-It really works.
Also, for using Marriott--what about trip insurance, which I think is a good idea anyway? Would it cover this situation? I would think so, but I don't really have experience with it.
Have fun whatever you decide to do.

I don't think that it would cover it since I booked it with points separate from the cruise but I can't be sure.

I saw the thread on Comfort Suites, but I still wasn't clear if we had to pay an extra charge above and beyond the online room rate. I also am not sure if I should book for the night of the day I am going to arrive and check in really early, or book for the night before and check in really late. I was hoping someone who has done it could walk me through it a little more. I can call, but it is long distance to the Bahamas and not sure if their 800 number would be able to accurately give me info.

I know people call it the Comfort Suites trick, but it's not a trick. This is a legitimate agreement between Comfort Suites and Atlantis resort.

Book a room on the Comfort Suites website. Book it for the day you arrive in Nassau. When you get to Nassau, take a cab to the Comfort Suites; every driver knows where it is. Tell the desk folks you're going to Atlantis and you'd like to check in and out in one go. They'll tell you how to get there and give you the paperwork you need. Go to the Royal Towers lobby and to the Discover Atlantis desk where they'll take your Comfort Suites paperwork and issue you wristbands. Take the wristbands and head out to the water park. When you're ready to head back to the ship, you'll be able to get a cab from Atlantis.

Thank you, that is what I am looking for. Should I let them know ahead of time that I am arriving at 10am, not 3pm for check in? Do we cab from CS to Atlantis - and if not how long is the walk?

We did exactly as dcasetta. There is no trick at all! Just leave the ship and get a cab to the Comfort Suites. People do this every single day. I will let you know, Atlantis is a big place and there is a lot of walking, in MY opinion, to get through it, to the desk for wristbands etc.

We didn’t even pay for Comfort Suites, we booked our “room” there with points. If you have Marriott points, maybe you have Amex Membership Reward points points you can transfer to Choice Hotels and use them to book your Rearvation at Comfort Suites.

Finally, are you sure if you use Marriott points and cancel or don’t show that you need to pay two nights? I would think you would just forfeit your 40K points. I have never heard of an award night policy such as that but I may be way off course.

Good luck! I am the world’s biggest chicken about getting cabs in other countries and so on, doing so there was a breeze. Even easier on the return to the ship because the cab was right outside the Atlantis door!! Easy!

Thanks Carrie.
Yes, I am sure about the Marriott rewards thing. I asked her to check as it seemed so ridiculous and she put me on hold and came back and confirmed that was the policy.

Thank you, that is what I am looking for. Should I let them know ahead of time that I am arriving at 10am, not 3pm for check in? Do we cab from CS to Atlantis - and if not how long is the walk?

You can tell them you're arriving early, although it doesn't really matter because you're not concerned about having a room available at 10 AM. You can walk over to Atlantis, it's not too far. I think it's shorter from comfort suites to Atlantis then it is walking through all of the enormous Atlantis resort.

Can’t answer your question but thanks for the cost and option overview. Too expense for us unless we do the hotel trick. DCL’s price is simply crazy but people pay. For that amount I can book two nights Poly or BC AND get WDW waterpark passes vs a few hrs at Atlantis. Puts things in perspective.

We did exactly as dcasetta. There is no trick at all! Just leave the ship and get a cab to the Comfort Suites. People do this every single day. I will let you know, Atlantis is a big place and there is a lot of walking, in MY opinion, to get through it, to the desk for wristbands etc.

We didn’t even pay for Comfort Suites, we booked our “room” there with points. If you have Marriott points, maybe you have Amex Membership Reward points points you can transfer to Choice Hotels and use them to book your Rearvation at Comfort Suites.

Finally, are you sure if you use Marriott points and cancel or don’t show that you need to pay two nights? I would think you would just forfeit your 40K points. I have never heard of an award night policy such as that but I may be way off course.

Good luck! I am the world’s biggest chicken about getting cabs in other countries and so on, doing so there was a breeze. Even easier on the return to the ship because the cab was right outside the Atlantis door!! Easy!

Can i ask how much the can was and how long it took? We have booked CS is Sep

Can’t answer your question but thanks for the cost and option overview. Too expense for us unless we do the hotel trick. DCL’s price is simply crazy but people pay. For that amount I can book two nights Poly or BC AND get WDW waterpark passes vs a few hrs at Atlantis. Puts things in perspective.

No problem - that is what the DIS Boards are for, to share info with fellow Disneyphiles!

I cancelled my points reservation with Marriott and booked a night at Comfort Suites. $387 for the 4 of us. I could have saved about $20 if I booked through an online hotel site, but I was afraid there may be some sort of loophole so I went straight to the CS site. My 10 year old is excited about all the water slides!!!

I suspect that the cost of food at Atlantis will be over the top, so hoping we can eat a big breakfast, snack at Atlantis, and get back in time for quick service on the ship.

No problem - that is what the DIS Boards are for, to share info with fellow Disneyphiles!

I cancelled my points reservation with Marriott and booked a night at Comfort Suites. $387 for the 4 of us. I could have saved about $20 if I booked through an online hotel site, but I was afraid there may be some sort of loophole so I went straight to the CS site. My 10 year old is excited about all the water slides!!!

I suspect that the cost of food at Atlantis will be over the top, so hoping we can eat a big breakfast, snack at Atlantis, and get back in time for quick service on the ship.

Even with cab expense and lunch you are way ahead if DCL. Just plan in cab times with a buffer.

Can i ask how much the can was and how long it took? We have booked CS is Sep

I think it was about $15 each way. This was four years ago so I can’t quite recall. Hopefully others will chime in who have done this more recently. It took about 10 mins. I was a bit hesitant before we went, thinking “how will we know where to go? How will it all work out?” It was very easy.

I saw the thread on Comfort Suites, but I still wasn't clear if we had to pay an extra charge above and beyond the online room rate. I.

We had to pay an "energy surcharge" as well as house cleaning gratuities. Once you start clicking thru the website to book, it does spell out exactly what it costs. However, it is FAR cheaper than what Disney charges and works great. You check in and out and never see your room. (I guess you could come back if you wanted to) Just be sure you check out the main Atlantis site also. We've been to Nassau twice on Disney and gone both times. On the second time, Atlantis was actually cheaper then CS. We actually did go to our room there and left our clothes and came back and showered after.

Agree with PP, thanks for the breakdown of options. And thanks for all the tips provided!

Thanks for sharing these tips. Still seems too good to be true - but we are going in July, glad to see all the comments agreeing this works.

Just booked a room for March... came out to about $381 after the VAT and all the taxes and fees. Hoping they don't add too much more on or it won't be that much of a savings.

Just booked a room for March... came out to about $381 after the VAT and all the taxes and fees. Hoping they don't add too much more on or it won't be that much of a savings.

How many people is that for? I think for 2 people it might be cheaper to do the day passes through Atlantis.

We have done the CS way, as described by PP above. We have been happy with the savings compared with booking through DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter