Best way to get a good deal on a Disney Cruise

RatherBeGolfing

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking about a 7 day cruise in February / March 2004 and was kind of shocked at the $4500 "quote" that came up on the official DCL site. Two adults, one 10 year old child - would like a verandah room - Eastern itinerary.

Does anyone have any tips or websites they've used to get a decent deal? Or, are the DCL trips just plain expensive?

I can get a cruise for under $1000 per person on one of the more traditional cruise lines to the same ports except Castaway Cay.

Looking for some advice,
Thanks in advance,
Larry

I just got an email from Dreams unlimited today about cruises. They had some great deals!!

New to me, didnt know they could handle Alaska cruises too! YAY

Check around with Travel Agents and online cruising websites. Dreams Unlimited, the travel group this website sponsors has better rates than the DCL website, but then I've also received quotes from Tim Larison at cruisingco.com that are better than Dreams. So do your shopping and you'll find the best deals.

Check with Costco Travel if you are a member of Costco. They beat out Dreams and DCL for our 7-night Eastern in October. They beat Dreams by a few hundred dollars and DCL by $1500. We also booked in March for the October cruise. Early booking always helps.

But check around, get lots of quotes before you decide. I also read on another thread about AllSeasonsTravel or something along those lines...that seems to have good deals too. I haven't had any first hand experience, but others have.

Good luck!

I booked my Balcony Category 6 room on a 7 Day Eastern Cruise (sailing May 3rd) through Costco for $3000 (2 adults) with trip insurance. I read on another post that Costco gives you a little gift in the room when you book through them.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Also check our vacationstogo.com. We have not booked through them, but they have some excellent deals if you are flexible. They give you an idea of which sail dates might be lower priced, and perhaps you can use that to pick a week to travel.

We booked both our cruises through DU and the service was excellent - lots of prompt replies, even on weekends or evenings. Excellent prices, and they checked for all the onboard credit we asked about.

Which Cruise board are you referring to? Is it a different one that this? Anyone know which season is the off season / cheaper season? (is there one? LOL)

Thanks!
Carol

CALL cruise.com. Their number is on the website. The online version doesn't seem to give as good a rate as if you call and ask for the absolute lowest fare they will give you.

You can get the best rates when you steer clear of the holidays when children are out of school. September and January are two of the lowest priced months to cruise.
I have used cruise.com too. I check prices and then ask if they will beat the lowest price I have found. They have so far! Costco is usually the next lowest in price so I have them beat Costco's price.
Ann

Originally posted by klafollette
I booked my Balcony Category 6 room on a 7 Day Eastern Cruise (sailing May 3rd) through Costco for $3000 (2 adults) with trip insurance. I read on another post that Costco gives you a little gift in the room when you book through them.

Does anyone know anything about this?

We booked last year through Costco and didn't receive anything. Maybe this time?

klafollette, When we sailed last April(2002) on a cruise I had booked March 2001, Costco had a box pf GOODIES waiting in our stateroom for us! It was very nice, but with all the food on the cruise we really did not use most of it. Maybe you could answer a ? for me. When I booked with Costco you did not have to be a member, is that still true? Also what does it cost to join?? We do not have a Costco near us,but my savings were significant for the cruise and I may be willing to join to book with them again!Thanks, Joan:Pinkbounc PS WELCOME to the DIS boards!!

Originally posted by Joan S.
klafollette, When we sailed last April(2002) on a cruise I had booked March 2001, Costco had a box pf GOODIES waiting in our stateroom for us! It was very nice, but with all the food on the cruise we really did not use most of it. Maybe you could answer a ? for me. When I booked with Costco you did not have to be a member, is that still true? Also what does it cost to join?? We do not have a Costco near us,but my savings were significant for the cruise and I may be willing to join to book with them again!Thanks, Joan:Pinkbounc PS WELCOME to the DIS boards!!

I think they have changed. They won't even give you a quote without a membership number. It costs $45/year to be a member but I have heard that if you join and are not happy you can quit with a refund. So you can join, get a quote and if it not a good price you can quit.

We are booked for next March, and I found that just about every week in February, March and April was a different rate! If you are flexible, check each week, I bet you find a different rate.

BTW, we booked through All Seasons Travel, they had the best price for the week and catagory we wanted. They were not the lowest for all catagories, however. I also found good prices on www.buycruises.com.

Check everywhere! Good Luck!:wave:

Joan S. - thanks for the welcome and the information on the "goodies" in the room. I can't wait to see if we get anything. :D

When I was calling around getting quotes, they asked for my Costco number...but when I called back later to make the reservation, they did not ask for it. I wonder if when you give your name, they see that you are a member in their database. I asked my husband about the membership costs and he thinks it is either $35 or $45 depending on the membership you get (We have the basic plan).

I booked a room for my brother and sister in-law on the cruise about 3 months after ours and they didn't ask for my Costco number either, and with them not being members, they still honored the discounted rate.

If it is true what starwood said, I would join, get the price, then cancel your membership if you decide to go with another travel agent.

I hope this helps....best wishes on your planning.

Thanks klafollette! Last time I booked 5 rooms,there were 4 families going.So it would be worth it to join if price was good. I have yet to decide on a time. I am thinking April 10th,2004 or June 19th, 2004(this cruise sounds like a great bunch of people,they have a thread going already!!) Joan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter