Best way to book early?

TangledHairDon'tCare

Mouseketeer
I’m going to make a reservation at POFQ for Sept 2019 today and hope I come across some sort of discount next year. My question is, should I book a package with tickets or room only? Which is easier to modify later on? I’ve never made plans this far in advance so I’m not sure the best way to proceed.
Thanks!

I might be inclined to book the room and then look to purchase tickets separate. I believe with the new tiered ticket system your tickets are linked to the first day of your stay. So if the first day of your stay is a more expensive ticket compared to the second day of your stay then you will pay more for your tickets. Undercover tourist has typically had tickets which are less expensive compared to direct through Disney. Although with the new system i have not compared the pricing yet.

I might be inclined to book the room and then look to purchase tickets separate. I believe with the new tiered ticket system your tickets are linked to the first day of your stay. So if the first day of your stay is a more expensive ticket compared to the second day of your stay then you will pay more for your tickets. Undercover tourist has typically had tickets which are less expensive compared to direct through Disney. Although with the new system i have not compared the pricing yet.
Yes, we could save about $130 on tickets with the current room rate but I’m wondering what the best way to be able to modify to a cheaper rate will be. On a room only reservation or a package?

For instance, this year there was a 20-25% off room rate during our dates that came out in April. If that happens again, can I modify the reservation as a package? Or does it have to be a room only reservation? I apologize if I’m not explaining myself correctly!

You might want to let a TA take it. I have Thanksgiving booked next year with Dreams Unlimited. That way they can look for discounts for me. I wanted to get it booked and then not worry about it again.

Yes, we could save about $130 on tickets with the current room rate but I’m wondering what the best way to be able to modify to a cheaper rate will be. On a room only reservation or a package?

For instance, this year there was a 20-25% off room rate during our dates that came out in April. If that happens again, can I modify the reservation as a package? Or does it have to be a room only reservation? I apologize if I’m not explaining myself correctly!

If you've booked a package and RO discounts appear, you have to cancel your package and rebook as RO. Now if package discounts appear for the type of room and resort you have booked in your package, if there is available inventory under that discount that matches your reservation they can modify it to reflect the discounts.

If you've booked a package and RO discounts appear, you have to cancel your package and rebook as RO. Now if package discounts appear for the type of room and resort you have booked in your package, if there is available inventory under that discount that matches your reservation they can modify it to reflect the discounts.
Can a room only reservation be modified into a package? I guess all I really need to know is should I book a RO or package today?

You don't have to cancel a package to get a room discount. You can modify online which will search for a room with the discount and you can still have tickets and dining with it making it a package. The discount just applies to the room price.

Can a room only reservation be modified into a package?

Changing reservation types will require you to cancel and rebook. If you book RO and change to a package later, the RO will have to be cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new deposit of $200 (same goes for going from package to RO). Since RO and packages are different reservation systems, money paid toward one cannot be applied to the other.

You don't have to cancel a package to get a room discount. You can modify online which will search for a room with the discount and you can still have tickets and dining with it making it a package. The discount just applies to the room price.

This is correct, you can have a package but apply a room discount (pending availability). The discount will be on the room portion only, but you can have a package reservation.

You can also book a ticketless package if you want to purchase your tickets elsewhere but still have the dining plan. You need to call for those, they cannot be booked online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!