Best type of backpack/day pack for theme parks?

Napandnat

Earning My Ears
I have a decent backpack that I always use for travel and day trips, but I notice a lot of people seem to use simple drawstring backpacks. I like the idea of having more pockets and areas in my traditional pack, but what are some of the advantages/disadvantages of using a drawstring backpack instead? They are obviously lighter, but don't look comfortable at all.

We use a Stowaway DayPack from LL Bean. It's super lightweight, has a small internal pocket, an external pocket and 2 mesh pockets on the sides for water bottles or other things you want quick access to. It also has mesh padding on the shoulder straps and on the back so it's comfortable, even in the heat.

I would say that it depends on what you are putting in the bag. You will want something sturdier then the drawstring if you have heavy stuff. We have been bag free for over a decade since we really don't need to carry anything. If you have medication or stuff like that that you need to carry then I would go with the smallest bag possible to fit it in. I like the idea of a backpack to keep hands free but you get very, very sweaty and hot with one.

I know I know. I pack too much, but have a kiddo who hates even getting water splashed on him from a distance. So spare clothes, water bottle, activity books, and baby wipes. ( way too many sticky tables). I find under armor makes a nice backpack with thick straps. I love the pocket underneath meant for a pair of shoes, it helps to put something heavier there to disperse the weight of pack.

Seems like the strings would dig in your shoulders if you had anything more than maybe a light jacket or something in it. I prefer a more traditional backpack - wider/padded straps with ventilation.

Believe me, I would love to go "packless", but we are a group of six, with two young girls (age 5), so that's not gonna happen. I think I'll stick with a traditional backpack with compartments and padded straps, since I've started to make a list of what we are bringing into the park and it's getting quite large (I bought a couple of camera accessories, and we need snacks especially for the girls, as well as medication, sunscreen, etc for everyone).

I use a Fjallraven Kanken.
It can turn into a handheld bag as well, is basically waterproof, and light.

I use a Fjallraven Kanken.
It can turn into a handheld bag as well, is basically waterproof, and light.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm looking at one right now on their website and Amazon. They are a bit pricey at $80, but their reviews are really good. They don't look like they would be very comfortable, however. If they are weighted down with many items, do you still find them comfortable?

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm looking at one right now on their website and Amazon. They are a bit pricey at $80, but their reviews are really good. They don't look like they would be very comfortable, however. If they are weighted down with many items, do you still find them comfortable?
I think so. I've had SEVERAL (3-4ish) dasani water bottles in mine, my siblings Disney baby, an orange bird sipper & my belongings and I thought it was very comfortable (as comfortable as a backpack can get)
It's the only backpack that actually holds up (and is super easy for security to come in the parks)
It also doesn't slip off my shoulders, I'm not sure why others do, but they do. This is the only one that I haven't faced that issue.
They also have a pad on the back for comfort.
I put the straps around my legs so I'm not worried about it on rides, and this works perfectly.
If it gets dusty, I just rinse mine off.

I used to use a simple, no frills Eastpak packback as a daypack for all vacations/outings/etc, but the fabric on the front finally started wearing through last year. Knowing that I was heading to Disney this year, I opted to purchase a Mickey camping backpack from Jansport (ebay was less than Amazon). I also purchased some waterproofing spray to waterproof the outside of the bag.

~Chelle

Believe me, I would love to go "packless", but we are a group of six, with two young girls (age 5), so that's not gonna happen. I think I'll stick with a traditional backpack with compartments and padded straps, since I've started to make a list of what we are bringing into the park and it's getting quite large (I bought a couple of camera accessories, and we need snacks especially for the girls, as well as medication, sunscreen, etc for everyone).

We're going bagless in a couple of weeks with a 3 and 5 year old. Why do you feel you need a bag for 5 year olds?

I used to use a simple, no frills Eastpak packback as a daypack for all vacations/outings/etc, but the fabric on the front finally started wearing through last year. Knowing that I was heading to Disney this year, I opted to purchase a Mickey camping backpack from Jansport (ebay was less than Amazon). I also purchased some waterproofing spray to waterproof the outside of the bag.

~Chelle
I've used both of the Eastpak and Jansport basic backpacks in the past and still have both, they're really great for Disney since they carry a lot comfortably but scrunch up like a drawstring bag to deal with rides.

I can't deal with much in one of those drawstring bags, and when I do I can only sling it over one shoulder or carry it in my hand - quite uncomfortable. But inside of a larger backpack they do really well to keep things segmented and let you split up.

I usually use a photo bag though, which come in all shapes and sizes, and just use some of the lens slots for other necessities. Infinitely reconfigurable and good for any trip, but they can get pretty spendy very quickly.

I may be in the minority, but since I'm used to carrying a purse over my shoulder, I find that I'm more comfortable just carrying a tote bag with a shoulder strap. I usually use a Vera Bradley tote of some sort. I like to carry a water bottle, camera, phone, sunglasses etc and prefer having a bag rather than going bagless.

I may be in the minority, but since I'm used to carrying a purse over my shoulder, I find that I'm more comfortable just carrying a tote bag with a shoulder strap. I usually use a Vera Bradley tote of some sort. I like to carry a water bottle, camera, phone, sunglasses etc and prefer having a bag rather than going bagless.

I am the opposite. I hate having more weight on my shoulders. I have large natural ladies and my bra straps already dig into my shoulders. I hate, hate, hate having any more weight added. I could never use those baby slings because they would pull down on my shoulders. I don't even use a purse anymore, just a small wallet in my pocket. I have found there is a great freedom in being hands free. The bag does not fall down when you bend over to pick something up and I don't worry about someone running up and stealing my bag. Daily, I do not carry much of anything with me in my wallet, just my ID, insurance card, 1 debit card, and a small amount of cash. I don't bring a credit card unless I know that I will be using it. I have seen woman with their wallets open(at the store paying for things) and they have what looks like every single credit card they own on their person. What a nightmare if that gets stolen.

We're going bagless in a couple of weeks with a 3 and 5 year old. Why do you feel you need a bag for 5 year olds?

I'm bringing some camera equipment (gimbal, tripod) and a few snacks (budgeting), along with a change of clothes for my girls, who will likely wear a princess dress at least a couple of times, but no doubt need to change into more comfy clothes later. All this in addition to sunscreen, Excedrin (I never go anywhere without it, lol), and other random miscellany. I look forward to the day I won't need a bag, but with this being my daughters' first trip to WDW, I want to make sure all our bases are covered. We are taking a rental stroller (from Kingdom Strollers) just in case, but we may never need to use it - but could come in handy to store the bag or backpack.

I've used both of the Eastpak and Jansport basic backpacks in the past and still have both, they're really great for Disney since they carry a lot comfortably but scrunch up like a drawstring bag to deal with rides.

I can't deal with much in one of those drawstring bags, and when I do I can only sling it over one shoulder or carry it in my hand - quite uncomfortable. But inside of a larger backpack they do really well to keep things segmented and let you split up.

I usually use a photo bag though, which come in all shapes and sizes, and just use some of the lens slots for other necessities. Infinitely reconfigurable and good for any trip, but they can get pretty spendy very quickly.
Yes, the backpacks hold a surprising amount of stuff and never feel heavy. I use a backpack daily to commute to work and am more comfortable with one versus a purse.

I have a large tote that I like to pretend is a purse that I use daily (it keeps diapers, a change of clothing, etc, for the 18 month old and looks nicer then a diaper bag). So I’ll either use that or my Vera Bradley beach tote since that is so light weight. I do agree with the posters that say backpacks can be nice as well, they disperse the weight if you have a lot of heavy stuff in the bag and leave your hands free - so pros and cons to all solutions but I personally don’t like them (I sort of feel like I’m hiking through Disney when I use them for some reason). That just me. When the kids are older and I don’t need the diapers I hope to get back to a simple cross body purse that’s just large enough to put a water bottle into along with a few other items.

My kids are 15, 12, 8 and I still use a small, lightweight backpack. I bring water, sunscreen, ponchos, pins for pin trading, pennies/quarters to make pressed pennies. I would always bring some kind of backpack or fannypack even if were just me traveling...lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter