Best TS Reservation Time for Illuminations?

Coral Reef Diver

Diving The Magic
We'd like to be watching Illuminations at the end of our meal. What time should we book our reservation for dinner? What would be a good restaurant from which to do that?

We'd like to be watching Illuminations at the end of our meal. What time should we book our reservation for dinner? What would be a good restaurant from which to do that?

Assuming you mean you want to watch them from the restaurant and Illuminations is at 9:00 pm when you're there, you'll want a reservation around 7:30-7:45. The three restaurants that have viewing are Rose & Crown, Spice Road Table, and La Hacienda.

Rose & Crown has some outdoor seating and a private patio for their indoor guests to move to.
Spice Road has more outdoor seating, is not quite a popular, but doesn't have a private patio for their indoor guests.
La Hacienda is only indoor seating and has limited tables at the windows. If you're not at a window, you can't really see it.

I haven't done Illuminations in a decade.

I heard that even if you are seated indoors at the R & C, there is a private viewing area for those guests. Where is that area? I'd hate to set-up there and then be told to move.

Do you need a reservation for the patio area in Mexico?

Are there other places that might be reserved?

I haven't done Illuminations in a decade.

I heard that even if you are seated indoors at the R & C, there is a private viewing area for those guests. Where is that area? I'd hate to set-up there and then be told to move.

Do you need a reservation for the patio area in Mexico?

Are there other places that might be reserved?

The patio area for R&C is enclosed; you can't get to it unless you are eating at R&C.

The patio area in Mexico is part of their QS restaurant. To be honest, I'm not sure how that works, but my guess is people grab and hold tables there long before Illuminations is set to begin. Hopefully, they order something from the restaurant and just eat VERY slowly, but I don't think there are any rules for how long you sit.

I think you're better off watching after you eat dinner. A lot of the views at the restaurants depend if you get a few of the good coveted tables, which most people are wanting to get. Around the lake there are many places to view with a good view that you don't need to wait around a long time to get.

Personally, I would not recommend Rose & Crown. We did that for the very same reason you want to. I was so p***ed off when I left there! People pushing and shoving to get to the railing. Literally shoved my 10-year-old out of the way. We couldn't see jack! We wound up watching it again from a bridge and were so much happier. Not to mention, we weren't pleased with R&C in general at all. The food wasn't that great and it was so loud we could barely carry on a conversation. Just my experience.

I would not recommend Rose & Crown. People pushing and shoving to get to the railing. Literally shoved my 10-year-old out of the way. We couldn't see jack!
OP here. I was convinced that R&C was my choice for a restaurant viewing of Illuminations, until I read this.

Rusty2rules, is the railing you speak of in the R&C private patio or along the outdoor seating area? I would not want to "luck out" (or wait) for a front seating to have our table swarmed by a small crowd throughout the viewing.

Rusty2rules, is the railing you speak of in the R&C private patio or along the outdoor seating area? I would not want to "luck out" (or wait) for a front seating to have our table swarmed by a small crowd throughout the viewing.

It's a separate area, not among the tables on the patio.

OP here. I was convinced that R&C was my choice for a restaurant viewing of Illuminations, until I read this.

I would assume if you have the "private" patio it's not as bad. I dunno. People are people. They're going to take the best viewing spot and if they have to block you, sorry 'bout your luck. No, I was on the outdoor seating area along with the rest of "the common folk." Everybody from the inside dining room races out there and crowds the "viewing area" to supposedly watch Illuminations. There could've been flying monkeys out there for all I knew because we couldn't see anything. I'm sorry to crush your plans but I for one can say I'll never do it again.

We had an excellent experience at R&C this past Sunday!! 7pm ADR, requested to wait until table outside ready- took about 10 minutes (shocked it was so quick). We did drinks, apps, entree and we're eating dessert when Illuminations started.

They do not guarantee outside table even if willing to wait, but asking nicely never hurts.

Ella was our server- her 2nd program- and was excellent!!

When we went to R&C last time had right at the rail seats around time of Illuminations and so many people crowded around us it was uncomfortable. 1 sat her child on the railing and she almost fell off, another put their drink on our table- moving mine out of their way so they could. I liked the food, but would rather watch from ANYWHERE else. But just my opinion. There is another patio to the left that is open for the public, but have to get there early to get a spot.

We have had several great experiences at R&C for Illuminations! We make reservations between 7:30 and 8 and we have been lucky to have patio tables each time. We do like the food too, especially the fish and the scotch egg. We have never had anyone stand up near us on the patio or the railing or crowd around us in anyway.

We've also had Spice Road Table for Illuminations, and while the view isn't as good as R&C, we enjoyed it. The food at SRT is amazing! We chose to eat inside and were seated in front of a large window and we had a perfect view. Sitting in the air conditioning was a plus. You don't have to have an outside patio seat to have a great view here .

For my family, we far prefer watching the show from a comfortable location that we didn't have to claim ahead of time. There have been many times when we watched from around the lagoon and have been pushed and shoved . We like eating at a leisurely pace and then walking out when the park is practically empty after our meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!