Best time to visit Disneyland?

WaltDavisWorld

If you can dream it, you can do it.
With three school age kids we’re limited on options for a Disneyland trip. Planning on a two week California trip next summer to do other touring also. I know summer isn’t ideal but pulling the kids out of school that long isn’t an option. Out of June, July and early August what week would be best? Thanks!

We've done June twice, and loved it both times. Weather was great - warm, sunny, but not SUPER hot, and cooled down at night. Parks were both at full hours, all the entertainment was running, few if any attractions were down, and the park was well staffed at all positions. There were some fairly busy moments, and a bit of shock at just how long we had to stake out a spot for fireworks, but overall it was great.

This year, with SW:GE opening, it is hard to say how frustrating the crowds will end up being. Hopefully Disney learned a lot from other experiences and can prevent any one area from getting too crazy.

July & August can also be great times too, with tons of entertainment, long park hours, and lots of staff to offset the volume of visitors. The weather is hotter, but still not like WDW. A big wild card late into summer has been fire-related air pollution, but really that isn't something that is easy to plan for. If you are going in 2020, I'd say go with June for sure (I like the cooler nights), but if you are going this year, flip a coin/roll dice/throw darts because I don't think anyone can really say for sure.

what are you doing the other weeks in California ....maybe that will help solidify a better choice in consideration ...... SWGE is going to hinder a healthy Disneyland trip, so make good use of the other days around disneyland visit.

Summer 2019 or 2020?

And I totally disagree - summer is ideal at DLR IMO. Except maybe summer of 2019 with SWGE opening.

WDW is the place summer is not ideal...

:wizard:

Agree with the DLR part.

Disagree with the WDW part. We spent 19 days in WDW last July and it was quite dead. Also spent a week there in early August 2016...also pretty dead. Room rates are among the lowest during July every year. July at WDW is slow.

July is firmly my recommendation for Disneyland.

Although, this year will be busier than most, enough APs are completely blocked out in July that it should not be the worst time to go.

Agree with the DLR part.

Disagree with the WDW part. We spent 19 days in WDW last July and it was quite dead. Also spent a week there in early August 2016...also pretty dead. Room rates are among the lowest during July every year. July at WDW is slow.
I was not talking about crowds specifically. I was talking about weather. :)

Ha ha! Well, weather last July wasn't awful either. I think August and September are much worse at WDW.
Lucky you! I have never visited WDW in July-September but I have been to Florida in those months and that was nothing short of miserable. Can't imagine being at a Disney park in that kind of yuckiness,

what are you doing the other weeks in California ....maybe that will help solidify a better choice in consideration ...... SWGE is going to hinder a healthy Disneyland trip, so make good use of the other days around disneyland visit.
We were planning on touring Hollywood a couple days, WB Studio Tour, Universal Studios and a beach day. We would be doing the Disneyland part the first week then move hotels to be closer to everything else.

The best time to visit DLR is... the best time that works for your schedule and your family. Since DLR is pretty much always crowded now (lower crowds or super crowds -- DLR has no problem pulling in crowds! -- and SWGE will just add to that for years to come), trying to second guess crowd calendars (which are notoriously inaccurate for DLR anyway) is a waste of time. Better to pick the time that works the best for you and your family, then come here to double check that nothing outrageous is going on at the same time. Then with good planning and organization, patience, and a positive attitude, you'll have a great trip no matter when you visit. We've had DISers plan their first visit during Christmas Week (!), and with the help they received here, they had a wonderful time. :)
All that said, agree that July and early August are great times to visit. The parks will be in full swing and ready for crowds. That means longer hours, fuller staffing, more/all rides running at full capacity, more entertainment and a full nighttime entertainment schedule, etc. By mid-Aug., DLR starts to wind down to non-peak scheduling. HM goes down for the NBC Halloween overlay (about 3 weeks -- until the first day of Halloween Time in Sept.). By the end of Aug., DLR is usually on the non-peak schedule: shorter hours, lower staffing, refurbs starting, less entertainment and nighttime entertainment on weekends only, etc. Summer may be hot in CA, but the humidity is nothing compared to FL. 5 day park hoppers will allow you to enjoy the parks at a more relaxed pace in spite of the crowds, enjoy shows/parades/fireworks/etc., enjoy some pool time at the hotel, and do/re-do your favorite rides. RD to close commando days are a bit tough at DLR in summer, especially with younger kids, but 5 day tickets will give you a chance to enjoy an afternoon break during the peak heat, so you can return to the parks in the evenings when things cool off.

Last edited:
Summer is now the new slow season! That script will probably change once SWGE opens, but based on some of the weekly reports, summer 2018 was so slow they were doing park maintenance typically reserved for more traditional slow times.

Anyway, based on these three months (June/July/August), my personal preference is June. The weather tends to be cloudier ("June Gloom" as it is known) which makes the parks a little more palatable vs July/August when temps routinely hit the 90s with the summer sun beating down on you. If you're okay with heat/sun (and can mitigate with a mid-afternoon pool visit), then any of those months will work.

The main problem with June is you have to contend with Grad Nites, which usually isn't an issue IMO, but it does change the park dynamic a bit and adds some unique crowd issues not seen at other times. The trade off is that some schools aren't done until mid-June, so if you can get in before districts release, that's a plus.

TP doesn't go that far, but looking at the summer calendar for 2019, grad nights run from mid-may to mid-June.

My next recommendation is August, mostly because there appears to a better crowd profile based on TP (and many schools start to trickle back by then). Not sure what dates are available to you in August. This doesn't help you, but September is one of the best times to go... the parks are downright empty the weekend after Labor Day and the frenzy of October/Halloween hasn't started yet.

Lots to think about, hope you enjoy California!

... September is one of the best times to go... the parks are downright empty the weekend after Labor Day and the frenzy of October/Halloween hasn't started yet...

September can also be very warm, hotter than summer. Santa Ana winds can start in Sept., cancelling any fireworks and creating very hot, dry conditions in general (not fun if you suffer from allergies or any sinus issues). The week after Labor Day this year is a puzzler -- the lower APs are allowed back into DL that week, so expect a tidal wave of locals who want to see SWGE and their beloved DL after being blocked out of that park since late May. I don't think DL is going to be empty that week, at least not from the later afternoons onward. Not all schools are back in session by Sept. -- some schools aren't back until mid-Sept. For 2020, we'll have to wait and see how things play out this year and what the AP Blockout Calendar looks like then (i.e. will the park blockouts be split again like this year?). The good thing is that the OP will have a long time to keep watching this board for trends, tips, updates, etc.
Again, crowd calendars aren't the most reliable predictor at DLR. Better to use the school and convention calendar and the AP Blockout Calendar. And always double check here.

Last edited:
September can also be very warm, hotter than summer. Santa Ana winds can start in Sept., cancelling any fireworks and creating very hot, dry conditions in general (not fun if you suffer from allergies or any sinus issues). The week after Labor Day this year is a puzzler -- the lower APs are allowed back into DL that week, so expect a tidal wave of locals who want to see SWGE and their beloved DL after being blocked out of that park since late May. I don't think DL is going to be empty that week, at least not from the later afternoons onward. Not all schools are back in session by Sept. -- some schools aren't back until mid-Sept. For 2020, we'll have to wait and see how things play out this year and what the AP Blockout Calendar looks like then (i.e. will the park blockouts be split again like this year?). The good thing is that the OP will have a long time to keep watching this board for trends, tips, updates, etc.
Again, crowd calendars aren't the most reliable predictor at DLR. Better to use the school and convention calendar and the AP Blockout Calendar. And always double check here.
I’m going that week after Labor Day, September 8, was hoping to sort of grab a weird semi-low period after summer, D23, Labor Day etc. Now ya got me all worried! We’ll be staying in property, hopefully it’s manageable... I think they will have longer hours longer into the year because of Star Wars, maybe entertainment too. They’re doing to much maintenance now so they don’t have another refurb season for a while. That tells me they might be adjusting for Star Wars to extend summer-like operations the rest of the year.

I’m going that week after Labor Day, September 8, was hoping to sort of grab a weird semi-low period after summer, D23, Labor Day etc. Now ya got me all worried! We’ll be staying in property, hopefully it’s manageable...
The on site perk of EE/EMH will be a real advantage, I think. Most locals can't drop by the parks until after school/work, so get to the parks early and use those morning hours to get the most done. When you notice the crowds rolling in, that's the time to take a break or hop to the other park!

I’m going that week after Labor Day, September 8, was hoping to sort of grab a weird semi-low period after summer, D23, Labor Day etc. Now ya got me all worried! We’ll be staying in property, hopefully it’s manageable... I think they will have longer hours longer into the year because of Star Wars, maybe entertainment too. They’re doing to much maintenance now so they don’t have another refurb season for a while. That tells me they might be adjusting for Star Wars to extend summer-like operations the rest of the year.

IMHO, while SWGE will be driving a lot of traffic at DL (and blowing predictions up), normal overriding factors will prevail. Summer winds down, kids are back in school (most of them), and everyone pivoting into fall (except it'll still feel like summer).

Don't worry, I think it'll be a good time to go!

If I'm wrong, I'll refund you the cost of my advice :rolleyes1

I think this will be a good week to go. But there WILL be lots of stuff down. Summer is hard on the rides and mid September is when stuff starts to go down for maintenance. Manage those expectations. And I wouldn't count on extended summer type hours at that point. Disneyland doesn't have a history of doing that. You will get 8am-12am hours on the weekends, but that is typical year round.

I think this will be a good week to go. But there WILL be lots of stuff down. Summer is hard on the rides and mid September is when stuff starts to go down for maintenance. Manage those expectations. And I wouldn't count on extended summer type hours at that point. Disneyland doesn't have a history of doing that. You will get 8am-12am hours on the weekends, but that is typical year round.
And I would expect HM to be down for the NBC overlay and possibly SM for the GG overlay (although that one is short -- maybe two days?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter