Best time to take young kids out of school?

Hi all! What does everyone think is the best time of year to take young (5/6 and 3/4) kids?

I was planning for spring break 2025 - the week of March 24th. I thought with a late Easter, nice weather, flower and garden festival, genie+, lightning lanes, and early entry could make it bearable. I’m having second thoughts after seeing spring break 2024 and which districts line up with our plans next year. We have a 5 year old (6 in November 2024) and a 3 year old (4 in March 2025). We were fairly confident that by March 2025 our youngest would be above the 40” and oldest 44”.

Also having second thoughts because I see Miami, Chicago, broward, palm beach, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Washington DC all have spring break the week of March 24, 2025.

With my kids so young (kindergarten and pre-k), I think we are just going to take them out of school to avoid crowds and potentially save a little money. However, I still would like to avoid extreme heat/humidity, hurricane season, etc., but it would be nice to use the pool.

What do you think are the best times to take young kids to avoid intense crowds, extreme heat, rain, etc.?
We did mid September last year and it worked out well. Some of the lightest crowds of the year. Also have option to do Halloween parties. We were walking on most MK rides before noon on Halloween party days. Heat is bearable especially if you take mid day pool and nap breaks.

We start school beginning of August so able to get a full month in before pulling them out. Think a lot of families avoid September as they have just started school then in many areas of the country. Also hurricanes can be an issue.

24th also has Milwaukee, Denver, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, but seems somewhat lighter overall vs. the 17th.
I think for March the week of the 24th is better than the 17th. Or maybe early March? Check for any Run Disney type events as well - I always forget when those are. 2nd week of May isn't bad - or 3rd week but you're getting close to the end of school. It's really hard to hit the right weeks when the crowds are lowest because it's always a moving target.

What do you think are the best times to take young kids to avoid intense crowds, extreme heat, rain, etc.?
I also will note, that if you manage to find a week to avoid the crowds, the heat, the cold, and hurricanes - you may want to be mindful of times when there are large groups of kids staying at the resorts for competitions nearby. Not sure what groups might be there but cheer, dance, sports groups of kids.

They tend to stay in the value and moderate resorts so if you're staying deluxe, it should be less impactful.

My son is a CM at WDW and I've been down to visit a lot the past year - seems to me like the summers are less busy than they used to be and more people are going in what used to be off-season. You are right to avoid spring break/Easter and Christmas. Our least crowded trip was probably the end of August and it helped that Orlando was side-swiped by a hurricane one day mid-trip. :) I was there over the weekend of the 4th of July last year and it wasn't bad other than the heat - which was the worst heat I've had on a trip! (not recommending it for you lol)

What about early November? Weather is usually nice - some Christmas stuff starts appearing but people who want Christmas are holding off until everything is out and running like Candlelight Processional. Usually the biggest threat of hurricanes has passed.

Early May is a great time to visit IMO. The weather is warm, but not usually “mid-summer” warm yet.

We visited the first week of November last year, but it was much more crowded than we had anticipated. However, the weather was quite nice - sunny, with no rain. And it was pretty warm (high 80’s), but not uncomfortably so.

Listen people can poo poo on my comment here al l they want but it's busy year round compared to years ago. the parks of years ago and deff set times of down time are pretty much gone. We go all different times of the year. During holidays, before holidays, after holidays. it's busy. some days are better than others. some days end up being crazy for no reason. everywhere somewhere in the world there is a holiday going on with people traveling. I feel it is what it is. we have had trips the week was a breeze and we figured it would be crazy and. then we have had trips that we figured would be "decent" and it was a $h#% of business.

Very beginning of Mar or May. That will avoid spring break and hurricane season. Idk the effect of Mardi Gras on early Mar next year though.

If you don’t really object to hurricane season mid-Nov. After Jersey Week and after F&W Marathon weekend, but before Thanksgiving is another sweet spot I love. Weather is a crapshoot. I’ve roasted and frozen the same week lol.

I've gone in late April (our April break is fixed at the 4th Monday in April) and early May. The first week of May is a nice sweet spot for weather, it's warm but the humidity hasn't generally caught up yet. The spring break crowds are done and it's before the end of the school year crowds start piling in at the end of May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter