Best time to go to Tokyo?

Disney Frenhines

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of doing Hong Kong and Tokyo in a single trip, I would have like to do Shanghai, but, as a solo female traveller I'm concerned about the transportation from Shanghai airport to the hotel.
So, can anyone recommend a good time of year to go to Tokyo Disney? I don't mind cool weather, I'm a Brit so used to cold and damp, but, crowd numbers are a bigger factor. Any suggestions and advice welcomed.

Assuming a normal year, the time to visit with low crowds would be in between seasonal events with right after the New Year event and before the winter event having the lowest crowds. Historically, February has seen lower crowds although this year, the Minnie event was very popular so there were fairly large crowds. Halloween and Christmastime tend to have higher crowds and the start/end of seasonal events or debuts of new shows will see elevated crowds. If TDR doesn't do seasonal events, a lot of these considerations will no longer matter.

Immediately before and immediately after Golden Week can also be good times although it can be a bit hit and miss. March during Spring Break tends to have the longest lines for rides while Golden Week at the beginning of May tends to have the biggest crowds overall.

We went to both Hong Kong and Japan in May of 2016. Crowds were low in both parks. Weather was beautiful in Tokyo, but it was pretty warm in Hong Kong already.

Shanghai is the safest cities in China. Perhaps in the world too. Almost every places within the city is reachable by subway (google Shanghai Metro). Currently there are 17 lines with a combined length of over 400 km. Line 11 will take passengers to Shanghai Disneyland. The subway is so cheap and sparking clean. My favorite time to visit the city is middle April where the parks are full of Sakura flowers.

Shanghai is the safest cities in China. Perhaps in the world too. Almost every places within the city is reachable by subway (google Shanghai Metro). Currently there are 17 lines with a combined length of over 400 km. Line 11 will take passengers to Shanghai Disneyland. The subway is so cheap and sparking clean. My favorite time to visit the city is middle April where the parks are full of Sakura flowers.

I agree that Shanghai is safe and clean for China standards but not when compared to the cities where other Disney parks are at. Speak English in Lujiazui area and you'll be a prime target to get your phone stolen. Hong Kong and Tokyo are definitely safer. Violent crime in Shanghai is likely less of a problem than in the US though. Given how cheap taxis are in Shanghai relative to transportation in other countries, I think most Americans would opt to pay a bit more for the taxi rather than bounce around for an hour on the subway, especially on a first visit to Shanghai. Or, a lot would like to ride the Maglev for the novelty of it and then transfer to a taxi (transfer to subway is possible too but more walking).

When I went to Shanghai with a friend (so two females), we had a hotel in the city first for sightseeing. We used public transport to get around, and from the airport to the hotel. I made sure that the hotel was near the subway no transfers, as we would be jetlagged, so I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
To transfer to the Toy Story Hotel, we used a taxi arranged by the hotel, and we paid up front.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!