Best time to go to avoid SWGE crowds?

rpiff

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I am curious ... I am thinking of heading to DL/DCA for a quick trip so I feel like this year's annual pass was a good idea. (4 more days/visits for it to pay for itself!) I prefer wandering about and tasting sweet treats while there; no need to see/experience rides to any great degree.

I have some free time over the next few weeks. What days/dates do you all recommend to avoid huge crowds, to the extent that this can be done? Is it impossible until later in the year (or at all), given the opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge?

Thanks in advance!
Ray

I would say definitely go before the reservation period ends. Once SWGE no longer requires reservations crowds may increase across the board, but that is also offset by AP blocks. Weekdays during the reservation period will probably be your best bet until we see how a no reservation SWGE impacts crowds.

Unless you go today, or the next few days, you will likely be dealing with extremely crowded conditions throughout the rest of the year and into next as well. There might be a bit of a drop just after school starts in southern California for the big school districts but it will probably be very rough summer/fall for crowds. Or at least Disney hopes so.

What days are you going? I would personally, avoid the opening weekend, just so you can read how parking and overall crowds are impacted. But then go before the reservation period ends. If you are planning to do any table service or shows, I would book reservations and packages as well to make sure you have a place to eat.

What days are you going? I would personally, avoid the opening weekend, just so you can read how parking and overall crowds are impacted. But then go before the reservation period ends. If you are planning to do any table service or shows, I would book reservations and packages as well to make sure you have a place to eat.

That's the question! No plans made yet. :) I usually try to make it midweek if at all possible (since I manage my own schedule, I can move client appointments to weekends and go to Disneyland on a weekday, wheeee!)

At this point you're probably down to Today, and then next Monday through Thursday. Friday-Sunday will be Very busy since it's a holiday weekend. Monday will be moderately busy.

Disneyland will ramp up a notch on 5/31, and both parks will ramp up another 3 or 4 notches by the 2nd week of June. And then finally, on June 24, Disneyland could start seeing days where the park nears or reaches capacity. It will remain that way until at least Labor Day.

At this point you're probably down to Today, and then next Monday through Thursday. Friday-Sunday will be Very busy since it's a holiday weekend. Monday will be moderately busy.

Disneyland will ramp up a notch on 5/31, and both parks will ramp up another 3 or 4 notches by the 2nd week of June. And then finally, on June 24, Disneyland could start seeing days where the park nears or reaches capacity. It will remain that way until at least Labor Day.

I am thinking today will be more crowded than tomorrow. Today is the last day to use the discounted tickets and it’s one of only a handful of days the SoCal Select pass is open before being blocked out for the summer.

I feel like it won't be that bad until June 24, when the reservation period is over and it opens to the masses.

The last few days that that some of the APs can be used before they are blocked out for the rest of the summer can be crazy crowded even without SWGE though.

A bit pessimistic. I'd say it will die down by 2022, 23 at the latest. LOL

Oh I am the KING of the pessimists! ;)
But it's been 7 years since RSR opened and it's till crazy. I suspect RSR will be nothing compared to Galaxies Edge.
Think of all those 40 somethings living in thier moms basements who would never normally go to DLR (or anyplace but the video game store). For a recreation of a Star Wars world they'll drag thier pasty bodies to the park by the aging minivan full!
Seriously, we'll see people in the park who would never be there otherwise.

*(This post is NOT to imply any negative sterotypes about Star Wars Fans - like me, who has his own basement)

Last edited:
Does anyone think next summer will be worse than July and August of this summer with SWGE crowds? I want to get back to DL so bad. Last time we were there was during the summer of the 60th celebration....

With an Annual Pass I don’t see you have much to lose. Going during the reservations period may be a good idea, it may not. Reservations are only 4 hours and I doubt all those people with a reservation will leave the park straight after it ends. Or not arrive until just before their reservation starts. There are 5 seperate reservation periods, is that 5000 per reservation (25000 people), 7000 per reservation period (35000 total), 15000 (75000)? will people without a reservation just not bother going? Who knows. But I’ve always found when it’s busy lots of people are waiting in lines and in the popular restaurants so when it’s busy, wandering around and having some treats should work fine. Fastpass is bound to get you on at least a few rides with no problem.
All the best.

Oh I am the KING of the pessimists! ;)
But it's been 7 years since RSR opened and it's till crazy. I suspect RSR will be nothing compared to Galaxies Edge.
Think of all those 40 somethings living in thier moms basements who would never normally go to DLR (or anyplace but the video game store). For a recreation of a Star Wars world they'll drag thier pasty bodies to the park by the aging minivan full!
Seriously, we'll see people in the park who would never be there otherwise.

*(This post is NOT to imply any negative sterotypes about Star Wars Fans - like me, who has his own basement)
:rotfl2:

There are 5 seperate reservation periods, is that 5000 per reservation (25000 people), 7000 per reservation period (35000 total), 15000 (75000)?
Given that smuggler's run has a max throughput of 1800/hr, or 28,800/day, the reservation windows aren't going to be more people than that, and realistically will be less to allow operations to be imperfect and to account for everything from baby swap passes to "I shouldn't have had so much blue milk before the ride."

That's a lot of people, but it's also about half the average number of guests Disneyland accommodates. I'd be more worried about the people who came without reservations.

Last edited:
Will you be staying at a hotel or will you be driving in? For us, the question is whether parking will be available. Since you say that you don't really care about rides, but are more about enjoying the parks' atmosphere and treats, then go when it works best for you to go! It probably would be best to avoid SWGE opening weekend (and keep reading this forum for updates on how the parks are doing with all that), but as long as you can get parking, just go and enjoy what you can! There is always something fun to do in the parks, and if you don't have to be in line for rides, use that time to your advantage. Enjoy the live music, eat treats and people watch, catch up on your window shopping, etc. Have a great time!

A year at least Im planning depends on opening dates of other attractions in the land. Crowd control, FP, just waiting to see how it plays out

I agree dawnball, they shouldn’t be. 4-5 thousand should be the max unless they’re assuming a number of kids will be under 38” and pushing the numbers a bit.
Time will tell.
All the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter