Best Time to Buy?

LuigiSpice

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if there is any thoughts on when to purchase? We are going down this August so i would imagine our next trip would be August 2021. I realize on the resale market it is all dependent on what is available, but would it make more sense to look before points need to be banked to try and snag a few extra or is it just luck of the draw? Thanks for all the help.

Just wondering if there is any thoughts on when to purchase? We are going down this August so i would imagine our next trip would be August 2021. I realize on the resale market it is all dependent on what is available, but would it make more sense to look before points need to be banked to try and snag a few extra or is it just luck of the draw? Thanks for all the help.
I think early in the year (January) tends to have more available on market but for the most part it is luck of the draw when people decide to sell their contract(s).

Is your heart set on resale, or are you open to direct? You know yourself better than I do of course (heh), but for example--if you're that type of person where, if you really could go either way, a good sales guide could maybe turn you toward direct away from resale. If you know that about yourself and don't want to risk that, I would recommend purchasing resale before your trip (or making sure not to do the tour when you're there).

Some of the answer to your question (re direct v resale) may also depend on # of points and which resort(s) you prefer. RIV pricing on large contracts, once you factor in the developer credit is pretty competitive with the more expensive L14 resorts (VGF, BLT, CCV, POLY, and even to some extent BCV/BWV if contract length matters to you). But if you're looking for a contract at SSR, OKW or AKV, you are better off going resale.

Also - in the last 2 years they've announced major changes (resale restrictions) and price increases on direct contracts in December/January, which has led to a bit of a frenzy in the Nov - Jan timeframe, which in turn has kept prices a little higher during that time, even with greater supply.

I would say sooner than later. If you buy today and go to ROFR within a week, you might close within 60 days if all goes well and 90+ if not (I have gone both ways already this year). If you don't make it through ROFR you start at the beginning.

In order to make a trip for August 2021 and get the accommodations you want at your home resort, 11 months out is September. If you plan to risk it and make reservations at 7 months that's a different story. Almost everyone here will recommend buying the resort you love as it is so chancy at 7 months.

If I know I am not going to use points right off that can be banked I ask for that as part of my offer. No one has refused and then you know, no matter how long ROFR or closing goes, you are covered and those valuable points will not be lost...one thing less to stress over. I consider my banked points that the seller paid dues on an offset to what I am paying per point. So I am willing to pay a bit more for loaded and much less for stripped, though I broke my own rule just last week and am in ROFR for a stripped BWV contract!

When shopping, I make a chart of resorts that I am interested in and a range of points and consider one of two use years I own. I put my target price on my chart for three types of contracts: 1. Current year points only 2. Current year and last year (freebies) 3. Current year, last year and prior year (FREEBIES - my "happy dance"). That is the holy grail to me when I see four years worth of points on a contract (two back, current and forward). If you can not use those banked points, you figure our what you can get for renting them which offsets some of the purchase price, less the tax impact. Having the number in front of me is a good way to have my "offer" prices right there so you can act fast when you see a contract you want and make an immediate offer with confidence. I've sold two contracts, bought three and am in ROFR for one already this year, so I've been deep into the weeds for six months (actually 23 years)...bought OKW in 1996:sunny: Good luck!

Is your heart set on resale, or are you open to direct? You know yourself better than I do of course (heh), but for example--if you're that type of person where, if you really could go either way, a good sales guide could maybe turn you toward direct away from resale. If you know that about yourself and don't want to risk that, I would recommend purchasing resale before your trip (or making sure not to do the tour when you're there).

My wife would not allow us to be swayed in the moment, and if they were able to do that they deserve the sale. LoL

The best time to buy is when the contract you want becomes available with UY and points you want.

Generally there are more contracts available towards the very end of the year/beginning of the year as people get their dues statements, but there was no dip in price early this year that I noticed. Remember your buy in price is a small portion of your overall DVC ownership costs. A few points either way shouldn't matter if it's the right contact for you.

If you know that about yourself and don't want to risk that, I would recommend purchasing resale before your trip (or making sure not to do the tour when you're there).

I would suggest you make sure you purchase so it will close in time for you to make your reservations in time for your next trip.

Just wondering if there is any thoughts on when to purchase?

Waiting for a recession is ideal.

Otherwise, get on the email list for the major resale companies and start shopping for your preferred resort and UY. (Assuming you have already spent several months learning the DVC system and making certain that it fits how you vacation.)

It has been said that towards the end of the year when MF are coming due is when there might be an influx of people wanting to sell. REally the best time to buy is when you have the money for it. If you know you want to travel in 2021 then you could start looking at contracts - often you can find a stripped contract - no current year or next year points -- these contracts you might be able to pick up a little cheaper than a fully loaded contract. So if you find a contract you like at a price you are happy with and it has points for you to use for your 2021 trip then you could buy in.

If you start looking now and you find a contract that has 2019 points you could rent them out for a little profit. If it has points for 2020 then you can bank those points into your 2021 UY for use when you want to travel during that year. Hope this makes sense.

If you are set on a certain resort, UY and number of points -- it can often be difficult to find the unicorn contract so you sometimes have to jump on it when you see it.

We added on at Poly (already own AK). I toyed with the idea of a different UY for our PVB contract, but after further research i realized it would be much easier to manage with the same Feb UY I have. Well I always look at resale listings and happen to find a PVB contract, Feb UY with current year points and full points for 2020 -- I had to jump on it because i felt I wouldn't find another perfect contract. So you just don't know. Figure out your budget, where you want to buy, figure out your ideal UY based on your travel habits and buy in when you find that perfect contract. The only thing certain with waiting to buy is that prices might go up and we know that DVC will continue to try to impose more restrictions.

Home resort booking for Aug. 2021 will begin Sept. 2020...not as much time to begin looking as you think. It takes time for ROFR, estoppel, closing, recording and then for Disney to create your membership if you go the resale route.

But setting your search terms for the perfect contract should not rely heavily on your 2021 vacation. Remember, you’re purchasing a lifetime of vacations (or so the sales pitch goes). Decide on the resort and number of points you want. Choose a UY (or UYs) that fit your preferred travel times. Get a price point in mind, knowing that you will have closing costs and possibly dues to pay. Get your cash set aside specifically for the purchase. Start looking soon. It can take months and months to find just the right one. And if you lose it to ROFR, or a seller that reneges, you start all over again.

But setting your search terms for the perfect contract should not rely heavily on your 2021 vacation. Remember, you’re purchasing a lifetime of vacations (or so the sales pitch goes). Decide on the resort and number of points you want. Choose a UY (or UYs) that fit your preferred travel times. Get a price point in mind, knowing that you will have closing costs and possibly dues to pay. Get your cash set aside specifically for the purchase. Start looking soon. It can take months and months to find just the right one. And if you lose it to ROFR, or a seller that reneges, you start all over again.

This! And be prepared to move fast - if it's a good contract, it will likely have multiple offers the same day.

Thank you for all the great advice. I hadn't thought of some of these. I think we will be using our trip this August as kind of a test run as to whether this will be something we want to be part of our lives going forward and then start looking at that point.

Home resort booking for Aug. 2021 will begin Sept. 2020...not as much time to begin looking as you think. It takes time for ROFR, estoppel, closing, recording and then for Disney to create your membership if you go the resale route.
And with all these factors I would allow at least 6-8 months to find the right contract. Disney is know to step in and take contracts and in that case you will have to start over. This could set you back a month or two. So if you want this contract to use for an Aug 2021 trip then start looking and be ready to buy around January 2020 - so like Marionnette said, it really isn't that far away.

I would say sooner than later. If you buy today and go to ROFR within a week, you might close within 60 days if all goes well and 90+ if not (I have gone both ways already this year). If you don't make it through ROFR you start at the beginning.

In order to make a trip for August 2021 and get the accommodations you want at your home resort, 11 months out is September. If you plan to risk it and make reservations at 7 months that's a different story. Almost everyone here will recommend buying the resort you love as it is so chancy at 7 months.

If I know I am not going to use points right off that can be banked I ask for that as part of my offer. No one has refused and then you know, no matter how long ROFR or closing goes, you are covered and those valuable points will not be lost...one thing less to stress over. I consider my banked points that the seller paid dues on an offset to what I am paying per point. So I am willing to pay a bit more for loaded and much less for stripped, though I broke my own rule just last week and am in ROFR for a stripped BWV contract!

When shopping, I make a chart of resorts that I am interested in and a range of points and consider one of two use years I own. I put my target price on my chart for three types of contracts: 1. Current year points only 2. Current year and last year (freebies) 3. Current year, last year and prior year (FREEBIES - my "happy dance"). That is the holy grail to me when I see four years worth of points on a contract (two back, current and forward). If you can not use those banked points, you figure our what you can get for renting them which offsets some of the purchase price, less the tax impact. Having the number in front of me is a good way to have my "offer" prices right there so you can act fast when you see a contract you want and make an immediate offer with confidence. I've sold two contracts, bought three and am in ROFR for one already this year, so I've been deep into the weeds for six months (actually 23 years)...bought OKW in 1996:sunny: Good luck!

Great reply! Just wondering why did you sell and then buy again? I'm looking at resale at the Poly but only see stripped (no points till Dec of 2020). How do I know the right price per point to offer vs. what they are asking? Thanks!

Best time to buy is after you have done your numbers and proved that DVC will save you money on your room. Also you need to have the cash laying around for the purchase, yearly dues, admission tickets, food and travel.

In addition you should:
Select the best UY for your vacation patterns.
Buy where you love to stay.
Book at 11 months.
Buy resale if you can.
If you buy additional contracts, keep the same UY and names on deeds.
After buying resale, if you intend to buy a small direct contract for the perks, buy now before the minimum increases.
DVD/DVC marketing can change the perks at any time.
Perks and policies tend to change when management changes and DVD/DVC upper management just changed.
Expect to spend more on Disney vacations after you buy DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

It sounds like you don't have concrete plans for 2020, so you may have some flexibility with the planned trip which will play in your favor when negotiating for a contract. Additionally, for an August trip which is low DVC time, I wouldn't rush the buying just to get a contract in under the 11-month booking unless you're looking for something really hard to get (e.g., AKV-Club or VGF/CCV studio).

Personally, I think the best time to buy is when you don't need to buy. There's nothing like a self-imposed deadline to negatively impact your negotiating position. Like anything in the world where there can be negotiations involved (job offers, car purchase, buying a home, etc.), being able to walk away from the table, on your terms, puts you in a much stronger position and gives you a lot of freedom to find the right contract, at the right price, for your needs.

When you self-impose a deadline that you have to meet (in order to cover a planned trip, get in on special financing rate, etc.), you are moving "time" from your assets column into your liability column, and essentially working against yourself every time you put in an offer while watching the clock.

The data from 2018 shows it bucked the trend and prices went up really from Nov to Jan, have now gone down slightly again so now is the time to buy. I agree with Bing- my last contract I overpaid slightly as I needed the points and had 2 taken ROFR and needed the next one to go through. Better to get in well before you need the points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter