Best time to buy a television

I'm sort of in the market. I still have a crt in the family room. Anything would be a step up.
We bought a new TV last year, and took our 20 year old, perfectly funcitioning tube TV to Goodwill. Sad, because I know we'll be lucky to get 5 years from the flat screen we bought.

We bought a new TV last year, and took our 20 year old, perfectly funcitioning tube TV to Goodwill. Sad, because I know we'll be lucky to get 5 years from the flat screen we bought.
I know. It seems like such a waste.

I know. It seems like such a waste.
It IS a waste.
Same with cars. If you abuse them they are going to have a shorter life. If you change the oil, wash and wax them, and vacuum them, they can last a long time. My family car just turned 30.

What kind of flat screen did you buy?

My Samsung in the living room is 10 years old.
The Samsungs in my kids rooms are about 9 years old. We’re only replacing them because they’re tiny.
Insignia in the loft, about 8 years old.
Samsung in my bedroom about 7 years old.

None of them (*knock wood*) show any signs of giving up the ghost any time soon.

The Samsungs in my kids rooms are about 9 years old. We’re only replacing them because they’re tiny.

None of them (*knock wood*) show any signs of giving up the ghost any time soon.
We bought a Samsung 50" Smart TV. Ran $650. Full disclosure, this is the FIRST TV my wife and I have purchased in 35 years of marriage. We had an RCA 20" tube TV that my wife bought before we got married until my MIL passed away, and we inherited her RCA 26" console TV. That is the one we just gave away. And our second TV is a 30" Sony flat screen that we inherited 4 years ago when my mom passed away.

We bought a Samsung 50" Smart TV. Ran $650. Full disclosure, this is the FIRST TV my wife and I have purchased in 35 years of marriage. We had an RCA 20" tube TV that my wife bought before we got married until my MIL passed away, and we inherited her RCA 26" console TV. That is the one we just gave away. And our second TV is a 30" Sony flat screen that we inherited 4 years ago when my mom passed away.
I guess I’m wondering why you’re convinced it won’t last five years. Just an assumption that today’s TVs aren’t built with the same quality? FWIW we’ve never been able to kill a TV in 28 years. We’ve passed them all on to others. I suspect that’s what will happen with our current ones if/when we choose to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

I guess I’m wondering why you’re convinced it won’t last five years. Just an assumption that today’s TVs aren’t built with the same quality? FWIW we’ve never been able to kill a TV in 28 years. We’ve passed them all on to others. I suspect that’s what will happen with our current ones if/when we choose to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
My wife and i work at TV stations. We have lots of them at work and 2 to 5 years is the life span we see at work. My place was very slow to buy flat screens, and we still have Sony tube TVs on a lot of people's desks with a manufacture date of 1986 stamped on the back that are still going strong. We finally got flat screens (16") in the area where i work about 5 years ago. Every one has failed.

Our 8 year old Vizio finally started to die on us this past spring -- we ended up grabbing the 50" Sharp uhd 4k black friday deal from Best Buy. (Using Discover Price Protection - confirmed that it works with BF deals) Hopefully it lasts awhile... I've never dealt with Sharp. And 3 hdmi ports is enough for me.

Our 8 year old Vizio finally started to die on us this past spring -- we ended up grabbing the 50" Sharp uhd 4k black friday deal from Best Buy. (Using Discover Price Protection - confirmed that it works with BF deals) Hopefully it lasts awhile... I've never dealt with Sharp. And 3 hdmi ports is enough for me.
The dirty little secret with flat screen TV's is that frequently only one company makes all the TV's of a certain size. For example, I believe all 30" are made by Sony. I can't find the list, but brand loyalty now with TV's really doesn't mean much.

We have an almost 9 yr old Samsung 52 inch, still works perfect. And another 32 inch Samsung about 3 months younger, still perfect. Our others are a few years old and of course those are also still great, all Samsung’s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!