Best strategy to do everything at Animal Kingdom?

Artygal90

DIS Veteran
My DH was so tired at the end of our Disney trip in March that he missed rope-drop and only got about 3 hours at AK, where all he did was our FPs for Safaris, Everest, and Flight of Passage. Those three hours were awesome though, so for our next trip, we'd like to spend almost all day there. My head is swimming with different strategies and I'd love any advice on how to cram in as much as possible on one day in September. Current hours for the days we're thinking of going are 9 am - 8:30 pm. Because of the shortened fall hours, we'd like to try going ropedrop to close and just making sure to take lots of breaks in the afternoon.

We definitely want to ride Everest and FOP twice, and ride every other ride once (if we have to eliminate anything for time, we'd probably be fine skipping the rides in Dinoland). We want to try Tiffins, Nomad Lounge, and Satuli Canteen. Festival of the Lion King and Rivers of Light are must-dos, although I'd also like to see one other show if they are worth it. Rafiki's Jungle Watch sounds interesting, and we definitely want to hang out in Pandora after dark and thoroughly explore the animal trails. I realize this is a ton to do and we need some help figuring out how to fit as much as possible in!

Assuming we can get the Fastpasses we want - probably doable at 60+ days with only two people - which FPs should we go for and how should we tackle seeing everything without running all over the park? I know for sure we want to start the day with rope-dropping Navi River Journey and end it with dinner at Satuli Canteen, walking around Pandora after dark, and Rivers of Light (which is scheduled to start at 8:45 when we're there). It's the rest of it I don't know how to arrange - Everest first? Dinoland first? Kali River Rapids before lunch at Tiffins or after with a FP? Help! (and thanks!)

If you want to do FoP twice you will want to be very early. We did almost everything our last trip with an afternoon break and a rain downpour so it is doable. We only did FoP once though. I would suggest FPs for FoP, Everest and Safari. Be over an hour early and go straight to FoP (they have been opening the park early so the line is long by the true opening time). Go straight to Navi River from there. Then plan your rides around showtimes for Festival of the Lion King (catch the first if you can) and watch for the last show of Nemo so you are early enough to get in.

What worked for us last time was proceeding counter clockwise moving quickly from short ride to ride to the Safari. If anything had a line we skipped but not much did until 10am (spring break so we started at 8). We were able to catch the first Lion King show and then hit Tusker House for breakfast. Then we moved back around the park slowly clockwise and enjoyed slowly keeping in mind to be at Nemo before the last show. We do not do Kali River as none of us are wet ride people (this is really really wet - did once and that was enough) and we skipped the train ride to Rafiki in favor of an afternoon break as it was too hot and we wanted to enjoy Rivers of Light.

I would suggest as you are wanting Tiffins anyway to book the Rivers of Light dining package so that you don't have to worry about getting in to the seating for that show.

To ride FOP twice and do all of the rest of that, you will need to RD FOP, NOT Navi. Get there an hour ahead of opening at the latest, head straight to FOP, then Navi, then over to Dinoland and go around the park counterclockwise. You can get the Tiffin's menu in Nomad so that is probably your best bet, unless you plan to eat two lunches or two dinners.

I agree with the others OP. I too was trying to fit AK into one day but realized its not feasible. We are adding a half day and will spend some time in the park on our arrival day.

advice on how to cram in as much as possible on one day in September. Current hours for the days we're thinking of going are 9 am - 8:30 pm. Because of the shortened fall hours, we'd like to try going ropedrop to close and just making sure to take lots of breaks in the afternoon.

This is the part I'm focusing on. You can definitely cram a lot in, but you won't be able to do every single thing. You can prioritize though and have a great, full day. Keep watching the hours as well and make sure they don't spring a time change on you. I assume since you said 60+ days that you re staying on property, so watch out for EMH's. You want to rope drop at least an hour early.

We definitely want to ride Everest and FOP twice, and ride every other ride once (if we have to eliminate anything for time, we'd probably be fine skipping the rides in Dinoland). We want to try Tiffins, Nomad Lounge, and Satuli Canteen. Festival of the Lion King and Rivers of Light are must-dos, although I'd also like to see one other show if they are worth it. Rafiki's Jungle Watch sounds interesting, and we definitely want to hang out in Pandora after dark and thoroughly explore the animal trails. I realize this is a ton to do and we need some help figuring out how to fit as much as possible in!

As others have already said, Nomad Lounge is connected to Tiffins... so you wouldn't necessarily need to do both. You can also walk through Nomad from Tiffins, so if you just want to see it, that's one way to do so. We just went to Nomad and you could order Nomad's small plates, or Tiffin's appetizers, or Tiffin's sides but not Tiffin's full menu (different CM's tell you different things, but that was the latest). If you want Rivers of Light you could do the package deal and that takes care of that. Speed things up at Satu'li by Mobile ordering if you can. I don't think you'll have time for another show, I'd stick with FotLK.

Assuming we can get the Fastpasses we want - probably doable at 60+ days with only two people - which FPs should we go for and how should we tackle seeing everything without running all over the park? I know for sure we want to start the day with rope-dropping Navi River Journey and end it with dinner at Satuli Canteen, walking around Pandora after dark, and Rivers of Light (which is scheduled to start at 8:45 when we're there). It's the rest of it I don't know how to arrange - Everest first? Dinoland first? Kali River Rapids before lunch at Tiffins or after with a FP? Help! (and thanks!)

You'll rope drop FoP not NRJ. Head straight to FoP and then once off head straight to NRJ. FP's I'd do are FoP, Safari, and EE. I would plan to hit some trails after or right before you ride safari. I would leave Dinoland as an "if" as well as Rafiki's. If you've done everything else and have time, then do those. Set up your day as "must hit" times and go from there. You have to make your priority list in order to progress through what you do, and what you skip until you see how much time you're eating up.

Have done the majority of AK in a day (except Primeval Whirl)... First did rides,shows,etc.... then son decided he wanted to do the Wilderness Explorers badge so we circled the park again for another 3 hours seeing a lot we didn't do (with a lot of criss crossing trying to find the stations). However didn't do RoL or table service restaurant.

If you want to do FoP twice plus NRJ, think you'll have to get FP for FoP then rope drop it and NRJ, then use FP for FoP for 2nd time. Make your FP's early so you can try getting 4th FP for Everest, then other rides you can grab. Don't need FP's for the shows (guess RoL, maybe get that as extra FP)

Know it's variable... but we found wait times for Safari, Dinosaur to be very low towards the end of the day

If your up for going from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. then you could defiantly do it, you'll be worn out probably, but could do it.

If you want to relax more, then plan on 2 days (or at least 1 1/2 days)

Thanks y'all. You've given me a lot to think about! It seems like trying to do FOP twice, plus the time-consuming things like a TS meal and the shows is really throwing a wrench in the plan. We may end up doing a half-day to just focus on Pandora and then spend a full day on the rest of our list. Thanks for the input! Happy to hear our wishlist is at least somewhat doable!

Be sure to use the single rider line for Everest. It can save you tons of time, I once rode it three times in half an hour in October. No need to do a fast pass for Everest when you can use the single rider line. Save your fast passes for other rides.

And in my opinion, you can skip Dinoland entirely. Just not that much to do there for two adults.

And don't forget the animal trails! Now that you're doing a day and 1/2 at animal Kingdom, you'll have time to see all of the animals. And I really like Rafiki's Planet Watch!

Another thing to consider is the heat. It is intense in September and especially at AK. It will zap your strength! But, I think if you follow the advise of tinksassy, it is doable in a day if you’re up for it. If something has to give, I’d make it Rafiki Planet Watch. If you time your shows right, you’ll get a nice AC break just when you need it most. Good luck!

Oh, and when you make your FP choices, go to your AK day first and grab FOP.

We typically skip the shows, but we've seen them. With Pandora being added, it does take AK from a 1/2 day for us to a full day. Pandora at night is pretty cool, so I'd plan on being around there at night as well.

If Dinosaur is closed when you go, then I agree you can skip Dinoland.

Thanks y'all. You've given me a lot to think about! It seems like trying to do FOP twice, plus the time-consuming things like a TS meal and the shows is really throwing a wrench in the plan. We may end up doing a half-day to just focus on Pandora and then spend a full day on the rest of our list. Thanks for the input! Happy to hear our wishlist is at least somewhat doable!
The only thing I see about this plan that's questionable is that once you ride FoP, you are probably going to want to ride it another 7,000 or so times, minimum, so for the full day for the rest of your list, you'll probably want to have another FoP FP+. Hint: the closer it gets to park close, the more exaggerated the posted standby wait times for both FoP and NRJ are. The standby lines are often very manageable at that point.
Advice from an FoP addict!

I'd skip Rafiki's and focus on the other things. That train out there is HOT and in Sept, it will be VERY VERY HOT! And there's not much out there but the petting zoo - goats and other farm animals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter