Best strategy 1 day pre-cruise?

Sunshine2U

Disney Nana
Hi everybody! First I apologize for just popping in and asking a question without a little research in advance. But here I am and I'm asking!

We'll be on a DCL cruise out of Port Canaveral February 2019 with a Sunday departure. Our group is 6 adults - DH and I are in the seniors bracket, then there's 4 around the age of 30; plus 2 boys ages 5 and 9. We visited US/IOA a couple of times when our kids were younger but never to HP World.

I'm wondering if we could get in a visit on the day before our cruise (after the cruise we have to head straight home).

It's a 10 hour drive from where we live to the parks so we would get within 2 hours on Friday and then wake early on Saturday to finish and get into the park(s). What is the best bang for the time/money? Staying in a nice hotel isn't necessary but front of the line (I know it's called something different now) seems like it would be important to get a lot checked off in one day. We'd wake up pretty early on Sunday to drive to port.

Thanks in advance!

Hi since you have a short time in the park the express pass would be helpful. Also I do know there are certain times in February that are busier than others which the express pass could help.

Personally I know you get in late on Friday but I would suggest pricing Royal Pacific Resort. It usually is the cheapest without an AP rate as an AP holder. It would give you the express pass on Friday night as well as Saturday. Then since you won't go to the parks on Sunday you could go stay off site Saturday night. You could leave your luggage with bell services for the day while you go to the park on Saturday. The only thing is that a single room can only have 5. You would have to do two rooms or a suite. You could compare the price of staying on site at one of the other resorts Cabana Bay, Sapphire Falls or Adventura. These three won't get you express passes but would be cheaper hotel rooms. They will give you early entry on Saturday. Then you could just price out what the express pass would cost purchasing one day (Saturday) for 8 people. This you can do on line.

I would suggest 2 day park to park tickets if you want to do the HP worlds and ride the Hogwarts Express.

There is a water taxi transportation. You could walk to the parks. If there is bad weather and the water taxis don't run they provide bus service.

Happy planning!

Here is what I would do.

Get within 2 hours on friday night and stay somewhere. Book a room that gives the express pass at Universal for Sat night. You will need 2 rooms and it is not cheap. But, express pass for 8 people is really not cheap either and you have to stay somewhere. Express pass unlimited should be around $110 pp at that time of the year, and express pass once each ride will be around $90 pp. Could be higher but probably not lower.

You could check in to the hotel at universal around 7am or so and you would have the express pass for Sat. Because you will have the express pass, even if you do not make it by park opening, you should still be ok.

Get up sun and drive to the port. It is about an hour or so drive.

OR, you could drive all the way in on Friday, stay at the universal hotel, use the express pass on Sat, then stay at an off site hotel headed in the direction of the cruise port Sat night.

If it were me, I would stay onsite one night to get the free hotel ep

February is the start of Mardi Gras and Saturday and Sunday are crowded

I went last year in the first weekend of Mardi Gras and very crowded during the day
The ep was a perfect way for us to do the parks with less waits

I think driving until you reach the uo hotel is best
Check in Friday and eat and sleep

Hit the parks for early entry and use the ep for rides

Move to an offsite hotel for Saturday night

Many nearby uo (and some like Drury Inn) and leave for port early Sunday

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!