Best Solo ABD recommendation

dvcterry

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for recommendations for the best solo ABD trip to do solo spring/summer/autumn 2020. And any advice you can offer. I've been to Europe extensively so looking to travel beyond, Asia would be great or South America. Passport ready to go so definitely not staying in the States.

I've been doing solo ABD's since 2008, 11 of them. They're all great, for many different reasons.

Since you're looking to travel beyond Europe, I'm going to HIGHLY recommend the Japan ABD. I took it this past May, and it is really, really an excellent trip. It has moved up to my favorite of all of my ABDs.

ABD is a really excellent way to travel solo. The folks that take them tend to be very friendly & inviting, and the Adventure Guides really work to make the whole group feel like a family, and to make sure no-one is left out.

Sayhello

I've been doing solo ABD's since 2008, 11 of them. They're all great, for many different reasons.

Since you're looking to travel beyond Europe, I'm going to HIGHLY recommend the Japan ABD. I took it this past May, and it is really, really an excellent trip. It has moved up to my favorite of all of my ABDs.

ABD is a really excellent way to travel solo. The folks that take them tend to be very friendly & inviting, and the Adventure Guides really work to make the whole group feel like a family, and to make sure no-one is left out.

Sayhello
Thank you very much, this was one I was looking at, Japan being on my bucket list of adventures!

I would recommend Australia and China. Even though you’ve been to Europe, I would still recommend Greece. Like @sayhello, I’ve done 6 ABDs traveling solo. I love the product and even when I’ve done a place on my own, I find that I learn so much more when I go there with ABD and have one of a kind experiences that I couldn’t do myself.

I would tell you to pick the place you want to go. I travel often solo with abd and that is how I choose the trips. I can tell you that x is my favorite but if you have no interest in going it will not be your favorite. As others have said, the guides make a point of making sure everyone is included to the degree they want to be included. Look at the itineraries closely, pick a few you are interested in then look at people's reviews.

I would recommend Australia and China. Even though you’ve been to Europe, I would still recommend Greece. Like @sayhello, I’ve done 6 ABDs traveling solo. I love the product and even when I’ve done a place on my own, I find that I learn so much more when I go there with ABD and have one of a kind experiences that I couldn’t do myself.
I agree about Greece! I didn't mention it since they said "not Europe", but it is a really wonderful trip, and now my *second* favorite ABD!

Sayhello

I'm looking for recommendations for the best solo ABD trip to do solo spring/summer/autumn 2020. And any advice you can offer. I've been to Europe extensively so looking to travel beyond, Asia would be great or South America. Passport ready to go so definitely not staying in the States.
We've done 8 ABD's, with #9 and 10 already booked. Can't help with the solo part of the question but will agree with @bamagoofy above that the guides do an excellent job of giving each guest special attention. They aren't pushy, but do make sure that everybody is included.

As far as where to go, since you've done Europe extensively the I'd suggest China and/or Japan. Several of us did the DIS Exclusive China trip a year (longer?) ago and enjoyed the experience. We also tacked on a few nights in Tokyo beforehand so we were able to complete the clean sweep of having been to every Disney park. We enjoyed both the parks and the country.

If China/Japan doesn't appeal then I'd suggest Australia. Not because I've done an ABD there (I haven't) but because that country fascinates me. I've been to Sydney and enjoyed it, but obviously that's just a small part of the whole country. I'd think that ABD would be a great way to see Australia.

As @bamagoofy says above, its really more about what is interesting to you. You mention having done Europe extensively. Can you tell us what you found interesting there?

We've done 8 ABD's, with #9 and 10 already booked. Can't help with the solo part of the question but will agree with @bamagoofy above that the guides do an excellent job of giving each guest special attention. They aren't pushy, but do make sure that everybody is included.

As far as where to go, since you've done Europe extensively the I'd suggest China and/or Japan. Several of us did the DIS Exclusive China trip a year (longer?) ago and enjoyed the experience. We also tacked on a few nights in Tokyo beforehand so we were able to complete the clean sweep of having been to every Disney park. We enjoyed both the parks and the country.

If China/Japan doesn't appeal then I'd suggest Australia. Not because I've done an ABD there (I haven't) but because that country fascinates me. I've been to Sydney and enjoyed it, but obviously that's just a small part of the whole country. I'd think that ABD would be a great way to see Australia.

As @bamagoofy says above, its really more about what is interesting to you. You mention having done Europe extensively. Can you tell us what you found interesting there?
I wouldn't mind China/Japan and really like the idea of adding on days to do the Disney park. Australia is another option and was hoping for some more information from anyone who has done the tour. I lived in Europe for a year and traveled throughout many countries while living abroad as I had the time there.

I wouldn't mind China/Japan and really like the idea of adding on days to do the Disney park. Australia is another option and was hoping for some more information from anyone who has done the tour. I lived in Europe for a year and traveled throughout many countries while living abroad as I had the time there.

I did the Australia ABD a couple of years ago, but the itinerary has since changed. To date, it is still my favorite ABD and the most physically active one(China comes a close second). What I really enjoyed about the tour was that so many of the things ABD did were already on my bucket list. If you haven't done so already, look at the itinerary on the website and decide if the activities and places posted are things you want to do and where you want to go. I usually add at least one pre/post day to do other things in the area that aren't on the ABD itinerary. When I went to Australia, I did the trip over Christmas and stayed extra days to be able to spend NYE in Sydney and see the fireworks.

If you are a completely blank slate I would lean towards saying one of the Asia trips where there is such a huge language barrier. I'd only want to do that with ABD because I like how they can react to unforeseen events.

When I went to Australia, I did the trip over Christmas and stayed extra days to be able to spend NYE in Sydney and see the fireworks.
Forgot to mention one thing about Australia, being in the Southern Hemisphere their seasons are the revers of ours. So Christmas/New Years is actually a summer event for them. Recall swimming at Manley Beach the day after Christmas 1971. :beach:
If you are a completely blank slate I would lean towards saying one of the Asia trips where there is such a huge language barrier. I'd only want to do that with ABD because I like how they can react to unforeseen events.
Really good point about the language barrier. ABD makes this go smoothly. The language barrier (written and spoken) is really, really big if you are trying to do these countries on your own.

Question about solo ABD if I may tack on...

What percentage is the usual single supplement? Is it a full double the cost? Or is it less depending on the number of meals and tickets included since you’ll only be eating one meal for each included and only needing one ticket for each ticketed thing?

What percentage is the usual single supplement? Is it a full double the cost? Or is it less depending on the number of meals and tickets included since you’ll only be eating one meal for each included and only needing one ticket for each ticketed thing?
I believe it's an extra 40%. At least that's what it is for the So Cal/Disneyland one I'm doing next year.

I've done 11 ABDs, and the single supplement on most of them *has* been 40%, as @Ross Kratter said.

The only exceptions are the ABD DCL cruise add-ons (there is no single supplement, since the cost of your cruise cabin is not included in the price of the add-on) and the ABD River cruises, which *are* 100% (a full double the cost) because the cruise cabin *is* included. And the only exception to that is if you get one of the very few single cabins on the Seine or Rhône river cruises. The single cabins have no single supplement.

Sayhello

I've done 11 ABDs, and the single supplement on most of them *has* been 40%, as @Ross Kratter said.

The only exceptions are the ABD DCL cruise add-ons (there is no single supplement, since the cost of your cruise cabin is not included in the price of the add-on) and the ABD River cruises, which *are* 100% (a full double the cost) because the cruise cabin *is* included. And the only exception to that is if you get one of the very few single cabins on the Seine or Rhône river cruises. The single cabins have no single supplement.

Sayhello

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter