Best ship / itinerary for disabled family member?

Alaska might be a good choice because the main attraction (at least for us) was the glaciers and you see that from the ship. The ports were fun but you don't miss a lot by staying on the ship or doing a simple tour around the towns.

Can you please tell me more about this excursion. We are interested in this but I don't find a lot of info. TIA!

The group doing the tour was big enough to split into two. They had two air conditionned highway coaches; each did things in a slightly different order as there was only one boat for the on water portion.

We tendered from the ship to the island, meeting as a group under the canopies at the port. A guide herded us together and walked us a short walk to the parking lot beside the port [part of the port] where we met the buses.

Our bus did the boat part first. We got a mini tour of the city as we drove through it on our way to the private marina. The driver explained some of the history and modern situation of the island and pointed out major sites we passed.

At the private marina, we met our tour guide/boat captain and his helper and boarded a pontoon boat. The guide/captain was an American who has lived in Cayman for decades. We went on a leisurely trip through a sheltered harbour to the mangroces. The harbour has a LOT of VERY VERY expensive homes, many of which belong to various celebrities, which were pointed out as we passed them. We learned about the history of the area, how hurricane mitigation meaures and regulations affect how homes are built, and were shown the pole with the marking of the high water height from the last major hurricane that went through.

At the mangroves we spent a lot of time. We learned about how they grow, their life cycle, their relationship with other plants and animals. We learned how they protect the island, how they are threatened, and how they are trying ti protect them and get them to regrow/expand. We got up into them [advantage of the type of boat] and got to see them up close.

We got to handle a JELLYFISH. There is a type that can safely be touched; touching was optional, but was pretty neat if you did !

On the way back to the marina another slow trip again back past more homes. And we learned about the iguanas, which are EVERYWHERE. We learned about the invasive species and how to spot them. It was kind of fun playing "spot the iguana" as we went along the waterway :-)

At the marina we again boarded the bus. More sightseeing as we drove to "hell", a hole in the wall tourist trap spot with some interesting geology. You can buy some souvenirs, or just look at the geology features outside.

Boarded the bus again for the ride back into town, on the way visiting some traditional Caymanian cottages and learning about traditional island architecture. Then continuing on and stopping at the public beach next to I believe it is the Governor's/ Governor General's residence. Literally next door to and in front of it :-) Nice beach, stayed about 15-30 minutes ? I don't know that anyone from our group went into the water, but you could if you wanted. We mostly stayed up near the parking lot in the shade, but we are not "beach people".

Finally, bus back to the parking lot beside the port.

We then headed back to the tenders and back to the ship. Others headed out onto the street and did some shopping.

We really enjoyed it and found it quite educational.

SW

My mother had two knee replacements - done at different times - and she preferred to cruise because she never had to go very far to see or do anything or eat. She was never quite steady on her feet even after the replacements. If she didn't feel up to getting in and out of cars or buses, she'd just stay on the ship which she actually enjoyed. There was still lots to do and see on board. She did also avoid tender ports. My dad would usually go out on excursions but she'd stay on the ship in those ports. They usually sailed South America and there are more tender ports there than the Caribbean. Grand Cayman is the only one I know of in the Caribbean and we no longer bother to get off. We did the turtle farm, one snorkeling excursion and that's pretty much everything as far as we're concerned. We're not beach people so I'd rather spend the time enjoying the ship.

Disney kindly provided a list of their tender ports which include:

George Town, Grand Cayman
La Spezia (Florence, Pisa) Italy
Santorini, Greece
Villefranche (Monte Carlo / Nice), France
Bar Harbor, Maine
Sitka, Alaska

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter