Best route from Memphis to Orlando

DisneyRoys

<font color=9966FF>Would like an introduction to M
We'll be heading down to WDW in May and we have been trying to figure out the best route. We had been looking at going Memphis- Birmingham- Atlanta- Orlando. Has anyone else driven from Memphis? Is this the fastest way to go?

TIA:wave:

I've been several routes and have settled on Memphis-Birmingham-Montgomery-Dothan then down to I-10, east to I-75. Takes us a little under 14 hrs with minimal stops. We have gone from Birmingham thru Atlanta and from Birmingham thru Columbus, GA as well.

Thank you for your reply!

Did you decide to go through Montogomery because of less construction or because it was faster? We are mainly looking for the fastest route.

Thanks! :)

Going through Montgomery is a shorter distance and seems a little faster. I don't think there is much time difference unless there is an accident or construction on one of the routes. Traffic is heavy around Atlanta and on I-75, but hooking up with 231 out of Montgomery is time consuming too. I know another person who has traveled these routes more than I have and he insists that going through Montgomery is faster.

There is a slightly higher percentage of interstate travel when comparing the route through Atlanta to the one through Montgomery, but much of Hwy 231 is 65 mph speed limit, so the shorter overall distance makes up for the slower speed. Birmingham to Montgomery is interstate.

Hwy 78 through Mississippi is very quick; some small towns and traffic from about 45 miles out of Birmingham.

On our very 1st trip to WDW, we drove to Tuscaloosa to attend a basketball game, then drove through Montgomery and that's not a bad route either.

I live in Huntsville, AL and we ALWAYS go through Birmingham/Atlanta, but then I love interstates.

Another piece of advice .....

Wait 20 years and the Memphis-Atlanta Highway will be complete ;-) (Yeah, Right!!) We've heard that before :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter