Best resort with great pool for under $400/night?

3littlecuties

DIS Veteran
We are planning to head to Orlando next year for spring break and are not planning to do Disney this trip. We've been to Disney many times. We are heading to California and doing Disneyland and California Adventures next summer so we want to keep costs down a bit for spring break as the California trip will be expensive.

We normally stay Deluxe when we go to Disney and really like the nice pools with drink service and a place to get food at the pool. This trip is going to be mostly about just relaxing...enjoying pool time, maybe some dinners out...so we want a resort with a great pool. Disney hotels really are expensive the weeks around Easter (when we would be going) and we don't want to spend that money if we aren't going to Disney.

What would you suggest? We've stayed at Gaylord Palms before for non-Disney trips and we really love that resort; however, our kids are getting older and it's not as easy/desirable to put one on an air mattress. Getting 2 rooms puts us over what we want to spend. I haven't ruled this one out yet but want to see what else is out there.

I looked at the Universal resorts and they don't seem to be as expensive as the Disney resorts even at their best resorts...am I missing something? Would this be a good option?

Wyndham Bonnet Creek won't have availability unless we reserve at 11 months and I'm not sure if we want to book directly through Wyndham. It's not as cost efficient that way. We've never stayed here before.

Any other suggestions? Really looking for the nice resort feel without a huge price. Hoping we can find this as location isn't as important. Ideally want to stay under $400/night. Kids will be 14, 12, and 9 next spring break.

We are planning to head to Orlando next year for spring break and are not planning to do Disney this trip. We've been to Disney many times. We are heading to California and doing Disneyland and California Adventures next summer so we want to keep costs down a bit for spring break as the California trip will be expensive.

We normally stay Deluxe when we go to Disney and really like the nice pools with drink service and a place to get food at the pool. This trip is going to be mostly about just relaxing...enjoying pool time, maybe some dinners out...so we want a resort with a great pool. Disney hotels really are expensive the weeks around Easter (when we would be going) and we don't want to spend that money if we aren't going to Disney.

What would you suggest? We've stayed at Gaylord Palms before for non-Disney trips and we really love that resort; however, our kids are getting older and it's not as easy/desirable to put one on an air mattress. Getting 2 rooms puts us over what we want to spend. I haven't ruled this one out yet but want to see what else is out there.

I looked at the Universal resorts and they don't seem to be as expensive as the Disney resorts even at their best resorts...am I missing something? Would this be a good option?

Wyndham Bonnet Creek won't have availability unless we reserve at 11 months and I'm not sure if we want to book directly through Wyndham. It's not as cost efficient that way. We've never stayed here before.

Any other suggestions? Really looking for the nice resort feel without a huge price. Hoping we can find this as location isn't as important. Ideally want to stay under $400/night. Kids will be 14, 12, and 9 next spring break.

The Universal resort hotels are really nice and the pools are great with fantastic bar service - I would suggest Portofino Bay or Hard Rock, depending on your taste. Both hotels have nice sized rooms and the Hard Rock has deluxe rooms with sofabeds.

You could also consider one of the two bedroom "timeshare" resorts - you can book them as hotel rooms with no timeshare presentation commitment - there are a number of Marriott properties, two really nice Sheraton Vistana properties or even Omni at Championsgate if you are ok with being a bit further away from the action.

I think your biggest issue is going to be the fact that you have five people. Most "normal" hotel rooms only accommodate up to 4. So, your options are going to be a villa/timeshare hotel or two rooms. As mjhtvchick notes, if you book a cash rate at a Marriott/Sheraton/Hilton villa/timeshare, you shouldn't be hounded by salespeople and you won't need to attend any presentations.

While I've not stayed there, the Hilton Grand Vacations at Tuscany Village might fit your requirements. They have one/two bedroom suites, a resort-style pools, and poolside dining locations. It's located next to the Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets, a few restaurants, and a Publix grocery store.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/f...cations-at-tuscany-village-ORLINGV/index.html

-----

If you want to stay at a hotel instead of villa/timeshare, you might consider the Hilton Orlando. That hotel has multiple pools and a lazy river. They have multiple dining options, including a poolside bar and grill.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-orlando-ORLOCHH/index.html

You would likely need two rooms. But, according to their Rooms & Suites page on the website, they seem to be willing to guarantee connecting rooms if you book direct with the hotel.

-----

The Hilton Orlando is in many way a clone of the Hilton Bonnet Creek. Typically, the Hilton Orlando is cheaper (at least when there aren't any major conventions in town) than it's sibling because it's not located next to Disney World. But, it's probably worth pricing the Hilton Bonnet Creek and the adjacent Waldorf Astoria. While unlikely, you may stumble across a deal. (Stranger things have happened.)

-----

Keep in mind, you're right on the edge of the start of the booking window. For example, Hilton lets you book up to one year in advance. Marriott (including what used to be all Starwood Hotels) only lets you book 330 days in advance. You'll need to wait about two weeks before you can see availability and prices for those options.

I think your biggest issue is going to be the fact that you have five people. Most "normal" hotel rooms only accommodate up to 4. So, your options are going to be a villa/timeshare hotel or two rooms. As mjhtvchick notes, if you book a cash rate at a Marriott/Sheraton/Hilton villa/timeshare, you shouldn't be hounded by salespeople and you won't need to attend any presentations.

While I've not stayed there, the Hilton Grand Vacations at Tuscany Village might fit your requirements. They have one/two bedroom suites, a resort-style pools, and poolside dining locations. It's located next to the Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets, a few restaurants, and a Publix grocery store.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/f...cations-at-tuscany-village-ORLINGV/index.html

-----

If you want to stay at a hotel instead of villa/timeshare, you might consider the Hilton Orlando. That hotel has multiple pools and a lazy river. They have multiple dining options, including a poolside bar and grill.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-orlando-ORLOCHH/index.html

You would likely need two rooms. But, according to their Rooms & Suites page on the website, they seem to be willing to guarantee connecting rooms if you book direct with the hotel.

-----

The Hilton Orlando is in many way a clone of the Hilton Bonnet Creek. Typically, the Hilton Orlando is cheaper (at least when there aren't any major conventions in town) than it's sibling because it's not located next to Disney World. But, it's probably worth pricing the Hilton Bonnet Creek and the adjacent Waldorf Astoria. While unlikely, you may stumble across a deal. (Stranger things have happened.)

-----

Keep in mind, you're right on the edge of the start of the booking window. For example, Hilton lets you book up to one year in advance. Marriott (including what used to be all Starwood Hotels) only lets you book 330 days in advance. You'll need to wait about two weeks before you can see availability and prices for those options.

Thank you for the info. I’ve been trying to look online and have been running into the issue with booking windows. It’s hard to compare when I can’t get good numbers. Maybe I just need to wait a couple of weeks.

We have typically preferred hotels over timeshare type places because of the hotel like amenities (pool restaurants, etc). Do these timeshares have those same type amenities? I don’t want to feel like I’m just in a condo complex with a pool.

I thought Hilton Bonnet Creek is an excellent hotel great pool with poolside restaurant. quick Uber ride to Disney Springs for restaurants

Hilton Bonnet Creek, can be booked for 2 rooms within your budget with diligent checking. A quick quote for this week shows a rate of 149. Nice resort, we actually prefer it to Waldorf.

We have typically preferred hotels over timeshare type places because of the hotel like amenities (pool restaurants, etc). Do these timeshares have those same type amenities? I don’t want to feel like I’m just in a condo complex with a pool.

Almost all of my travel is just one person, so I don't even consider timeshare-style places. So, I don't have real-world information. That said, you can probably get a good idea about the style of property by looking at their websites. The Hilton Grand Vacations at Tuscany Village does seem more like a condo complex with a pool and single restaurant.

You might want to check out the Universal Orlando Resorts and Hotels forum. You can probably get an idea of how those resorts "feel" by reading some of the threads there. Those properties seem to have more realistic pricing when compared to Disney Resorts. My educated guess as to why that's true is geography. Universal Orlando doesn't have the massive buffer zone of undeveloped land that Disney has. So, the Universal hotels have to compete with off-site hotels that are true competitors.
https://www.disboards.com/forums/universal-orlando-resorts-hotels.75/

I’d definitely give one of the Universal Hotels a shot. Sapphire Falls would be a good option - it’s a moderate resort by Universals standards although seems to be just as nice as the deluxe resorts but missing the express pass to the parks that the top three have (which wouldn’t be an issue to consider if you’re not going in the parks). Price wise and amenity wise it would work and you may be able to get a family suite for that price. And it has a great pool. Their three “deluxe” resorts would also be worth pricing out - Hard Rock, Portofino Bay and Royal Pacific. Also Universal allows pool hopping so you could go check out the pools and lazy river at Cabana Bay Resort or the other hotel pools.

What about a Disney Springs hotel within walking distance. So the teens have some freedom to walk around Disney Springs as well?

The Four Seasons is wonderful and have a teen room with billards, etc.

I love Portofino Bay at Universal. Royal Pacific is nice too. I really like City Walk and I think your teens would too.

If you are not doing Disney at all then I would recommend staying away from the Disney area, a good fit for what you are looking for would be the Hilton Orlando, it's one of Hilton's flagship resorts and comparable to a Disney Deluxe Resort with multiple restaurants, lazy river, zero-entry pool, water slide, spa, etc..

https://www.thehiltonorlando.com

Last edited:
We always stay at Orange Lake resort. Has tons of amenities and activities. We were there for 12 days in March and barely left the property. If you would like more info PM me.

The Marriott timeshares “Palms” (Imperial, Sabal and Royal) all have minimum 2 bedroom, no parking fees and access to Marriot World center pool with drink and food service. Each area has quiet pools as well.
Our favorite is Marriott Cypress Harbour- 2 large pools, mini golf, volleyball and basket bowl courts, shuffle board and lots of poolside activities.
I’d recommend looking on TUG or redweek and see about booking through an owner- likely a lot less expensive. And we’ve never been hounded by timeshare salespeople there- we are owners at a different property and trade into Marriott.
The Sheraton Vistana Resort is also another option. There’s reviews on almost all these properties on these boards, and definitely over at TUG (Timeshare users group)

Hyatt Regency On I-drive is very nice. Our room with 2 double beds also had a single couch that could have easily slept a child (we didn’t need it because I was only there with 2 of my kids).

The pools are beautiful and the rooms are high end. I think there was even a tv in the bathroom, lol. We attended a convention at the Hilton Orlando during this stay. It was also very nice and I did see a friend’s guest room. I think the Hyatt is a bit nicer, but that’s just my personal opinion.

You could try the brand new Margaritaville Resort Orlando. They have both hotel room s and cottages at reasonable rates. There are two pools plus an on-site water parks opening this summer. Also has complimentary transportation to ALL the Orlando theme parks. Getting good reviews...

Thank you for the info. I’ve been trying to look online and have been running into the issue with booking windows. It’s hard to compare when I can’t get good numbers. Maybe I just need to wait a couple of weeks.

If you really prefer hotel rooms, the Wyndham Grand is a 4-star hotel located on the same property as Wyndham Bonnet Creek. They share grounds, so you can get the multiple pools, lazy river, etc. from the WBC property, while staying in a hotel so you can order room service, etc.

Several people have mentioned the Hilton Bonnet Creek (and its big sister the Waldorf Astoria). Both are hotels, but with access to extensive pools.

I think either of the Wyndham choices would be the cheapest option. With WBC you can all fit in a 2-bedroom unit, with lots of room to spare. Alternately, the Wyndham Grand does have family rooms with bunk beds that have a 6-person occupancy limit. While those rooms are a bit more expensive than the basic room, it means you wouldn't necessarily have to go with two rooms for your family. WBC has no resort or parking fees, but you'd have to add both if you stay at the Grand (I think the resort fee is $36, and parking is another $22).

Both the Hilton Bonnet Creek and Waldorf Astoria would challenge your budget a bit more. For 5 people, I think you'd need a suite or two rooms. Keep in mind that both charge $45 per room for the resort fee, so even when you see rates that seem reasonable for 2 rooms, the taxes and fees add up quickly.

Have you looked at the JW Marriott Grande Lakes? Definitely more of a high-end hotel resort feel, but does have great pool complex with lazy river. Shares grounds with the Ritz Carleton, so you know there are good restaurants. Do a bit of googling, and you should be able to find some pictures of the lovely natural scenery; it's got eco tours, canoeing, etc. When I went to the Marriott website and put in for 2 adults and 3 children, it was allowing me to book a room with 2 queen beds, presumably you'd add a rollaway. I think you could do a single room with rollaway there within your budget.

We really like Sheraton vistana, we went to the nightly parties smores karaoke etc.. we used the gas grills to make dinner hang out near the pools. We got a great deal on skyauction.com pay attention to the surcharges at the bottom cause there will be for spring break but still a really great deal. We paid 900 or something this last march. For a week 2 bedroom full kitchen washer dryer

Last edited:
We really like Sheraton vistana, we went to the nightly parties smores karaoke etc.. we used the gas grills to make dinner hang out near the pools. We got a great deal on skyauction.com pay attention to the surcharges at the bottom cause there will be for spring break but still a really great deal. We paid 900 or something this last march. For a week 2 bedroom full kitchen for a week
Add to that, 3 restaurants (all with some poolside seating) plus a deli counter; also a few within walking distance offsite. 7 swimming pools, lots of resort activities; the one thing missing from your list is poolside service, you do have to walk over to the bar. A 2BR villa also gets you a full kitchen which gives you money saving options. For instance, grab a case of beer or coolers on the way in and keep them in the fridge; it is perfectly okay to bring your own drinks to the pool areas (no glass of course). No resort prices for those drinks! Total cost should not go much above $1000 for a week; that is what the owners pay in maintenance fees for a week, and most who rent only want to cover their costs.

The newer fancy words for timeshare is vacation club...lol
I will never stay in a regular hotel ever again. Nor will I ever pay for a vacation club. I am getting the same rates with out the contract. I do not feel like I am in a condo with a pool. They have everything the hotel had plus a full size kitchen a very nice bed a separate living room a washer/ dryer for a lower price than the old crappy hotels in Kissimmee

Www.skyauction.com

Last edited:
I think you have gotten a lot of great advice. But thought I'd weight in on a few things with my thoughts/opinions.

I'd only do Universal higher end properties if you are going to one of their parks for at least a day. The resorts are pretty nice, but not as nice as Disney Deluxe in my opinion and aren't themed as well as Disney Deluxe. The higher end ones there command a premium as they give front of line access to all attractions (except the two big HP ones where you get early rentry) and unlimited front of line access to rides at the Universal Parks are a big perk. We stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort (a highly rated deluxe one there) when my husband had a conference there, and it was nice and had the amenities you are seeking. BUT -- I kept comparing it to Disney's Polynesian and it just didn't have the landscaping, expansive grounds, monorail, etc. (came up really short for me. Site note though: I a am a big fan of Disney's Polynesian resort). Please note that no where you will stay off property will have the theming the Disney Deluxe resorts do. I personally would not want to pay the premium for Universal's higher end resort if I weren't using the unlimited fast pass feature at one of there parks for at least one day. They have some properties that don't offer the front of line pass which at least one poster recommended.

In general it sounds to me like you are looking for a four star hotel/resort property that would be more similar to a Disney Deluxe, and on this board you have lots of recommendations for nice offsite timeshares. But let's level set and talk about realities if you go that route. It's a very economical route and one that I do a ton (but I am a budget Orlando vacation traveler usually seeking a price point way less than $400 a night and make some sacrifices you might care about for that). I love the timeshare rentals and they offer considerable savings, but you are a bit more on your own (no maid service, unless you are doing a retail rental), only some with restaurants onsite (condos at the Marriott World Center have the great Marriott pool and restaurants available so might be a decent choice for you, but you are walking over for those amenities if you are in the condos vs. having them right at your fingertips if you are at the hotel). Take a look at these, though, and other ones others have recommended too. Maybe compare an owner timeshare rental at Marriott condos to a the Marriott World Center room if they can give you one that sleeps five and weigh costs/benefits. And if you can live without the daily maid service, it's very tempting to do an owner rental on a site like TUG2.net or Redweek.com for the considerable savings if you are doing a Friday to Friday, Saturday to Saturday, or Sunday to Sunday stay. I think the Marriott World center is lovely.

Although I have stayed Disney deluxe a few times (I should say all conventions, where a company was paying), I'm more of a budget Orlando vacationer, so don't have as much experience with the higher end hotels. The only four star offsite I have stayed at is the Renaissance SeaWorld. It's quite lovely with the stunning lobby, quiet pool and kid's pool, heated towels, pricey food though and you pay for parking and used to pay for internet too. But's it is more a hotel with nice grounds vs. an expansive resort. Also, it's across the street from SeaWorld. I'd only go there if you do a day at that park -- you get a little card with front of line access of ride attractions too.

You might want to look at the Sheraton Vistana Resort if you go the timeshare route and aren't as concerned about high end dining (spread out, lower end dining than four star hotels / bar options, lots of pools, lots of hot tubs, lots of activities organized and on your own, huge expansive resort). Cascades section would have the pool restaurant and bar you are looking for. It could be a bit of a walk perhaps depending on where you stay to restaurants, bars, etc. Another nice timeshare resort we have done is the Hilton Grand Vacation Club at SeaWorld (stunning pool and hot tubs, expansive grounds, some onsite dining options - snack bar place and dining by pool, but more limited than a four star hotel, kind of has the luxury look of a four star place). It's also right by SeaWorld, and I'd at least one day there if I was staying at this property.

Do report back to us and let us know what you choose.

Another question though -- are you just looking for a resort experience or will you be doing other things in Orlando?? We're done budget resort Orlando trips before, but to satisfy the kids usually ended up forking over for one day at the SeaWorld park and either a day at one of the Disney parks or Universal parks. The one day park prices are high, though, but if you go the owner timeshare rental route, you would save on your accommodation budget and have room in the budget for some theme park tickets.

If it was me and I wasn't going to do a single theme park, I think I'd do the Sheraton Vistana resort. It's not far from Downtown Disney, but is far enough away from theme parks, that my kids would not do that much thinking about theme parks they weren't going to. It would be a good one for your kids too, as they could do a lot of exploring on their own and check out the various sections, pools, activities. All the condos have a little patio or balcony that are great for sitting out, usually with a nice view of a water feature, little pond with fountain, etc. If you could get River Island condos at Orange Lake, that area has it's own mini waterpark.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter