Best resort choice

Why not try WL - less expensive and close to WDW
Ask for WOODS view - not sure what they call it now

I would also recommend the Polynesian

At any resort - try the pool at 9 am - then go to a park by noon till .....
Pools are empty in the morning !

I strongly suggest Yacht or Beach Club but I’m going to go with Yacht! My boyfriend and I had almost the exact same wants as you and we ended up staying there for the first time last year. He picked the resort to be close to Epcot and I wasn’t too sure because my Disney trips are usually MK focused. I fell in LOVE! You can’t beat walking to Epcot. The resort was so relaxing but we were close enough to the action if we wanted to be. We would walk to the ice cream shop on the Boardwalk if we had an early night in and decided we wanted a late night snack, we could go to Epcot on a whim and grab a drink or eat, there are restaurants everywhere, fireworks each night from the beach - we loved it. I didn’t think I’d be that into the pool either and even then I was wrong. We spent one full day just relaxing in the lazy river. We had a king bed with lagoon/water view which was perfect. YC rooms also have balconies which are so wonderful when watching the fireworks.

We’re from California as well and go to Disneyland all the time. Disney World is such a fun change for us since it’s just a completely different world. Enjoy your trip and so excited for you!

We're an early 30s couple too, and we're staying at Yacht Club this July. As DLR vets, I really think your instinct to try the EPCOT resort area is a good one. When we went on our first two trips to WDW, we were local DLR AP holders. Because of this, we spent less time in MK than we might have (although we do love MK! It's a whole different experience!) I think being able to easily visit EPCOT and DHS would be a huge benefit for you. Also, the Boardwalk area is amazing in its own right. Tons of entertainment and food options. While we've never stayed there, we visited it on our last trip and absolutely loved it, which is why we're staying there this time.

The only thing that would change my recommendation is if you really love animals or the theme/vibe at Animal Kingdom. I have heard great things about Animal Kingdom Lodge and would love to stay there someday, but it's definitely not as convenient to the other 3 parks if that is important to you.

Don't worry about the transportation system. Yes, it does take much longer to get between parks, and you may be shocked by how huge and spread apart everything is (we were!). But it's really not that bad.

Happy planning!

I think that either the Contemporary, Yacht, or Beach Club would be good for you.

Pros of each:

CR: Stay in the main tower...if you are going to do it right I say do it. The Wave and California Grill are both good spots for you to eat. Also, you will get to ride the monorail a good bit which is far different than the DL Monorail.

YC: More adult feel to the resort. Walking distance or boat to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. While you said a pool isn't important they (YC/BC) have the best and most unique one you will find anywhere.

BC: Slightly closer to Epcot than YC but I like the more relaxed feel.

For both of the above you hit the dining lottery. Boat anywhere around the lake including Swan and Dolphin which have some tremendous dining options. Also, you are 5 minutes from Epcot World Showcase which has a lot of great options.

My last piece of advice is don't sweat the transportation. It is really easy once you realize Disney will take you everywhere you need to go whether via Bus, Boat, or Monorail.

• As a DLR vet, the transportation system kind of scares me at WDW. I'd prefer a less stressful experience if possible.
All thoughts are welcome! Thanks all :-)

I have zero advice on accommodations, but try not to worry about transportation. If you aren't renting a car, WDW Transportation will get you where you want to go... just follow the signs/marquees/whatever and you'll be good. If you are renting a car, you'll still be fine. Yes it's spread out but it's not really that bad. Road signs are clearly marked, and your phone GPS can help you out too. I hope you have a great trip.

We are pretty active said:
If your active, I can't imagine it would take you anywhere near 30 minutes to walk to HS. It's more like 15 so not far at all. We love the Epcot resorts and they sound like a great fit for you.

If you still wanted Contemporary, I'd look at Bay Lake Tower. The trip we stayed there was so peaceful and calm. The pool never felt crazy and you have easyeasy ac to all the good bars and restaurants on the monorail.

We love DL. To me. It’s the best park period.
Of you want deluxe. Go Contemporary. For a moderate. POFQ.

For both of the above you hit the dining lottery. Boat anywhere around the lake including Swan and Dolphin which have some tremendous dining options. Also, you are 5 minutes from Epcot World Showcase which has a lot of great options.

This, too! I think you'll find World Showcase's restaurant options especially great for vegetarians. There's really a lot of variety there.

This, too! I think you'll find World Showcase's restaurant options especially great for vegetarians. There's really a lot of variety there.
Sounds amazing! I've been going through menus on Allears, and there are so many options! At least there will be tons of walking to balance it out. :-)

When we went to DLR, we stayed at the VGC and found it to be very similar to Wilderness Lodge in look. Differences, but similar.

I fond Poly to have this ‘vacation’ atmosphere that no other resort has (although haven’t been to all). It’s def our favorite.

I think location shouldn’t matter that much esp. if no kids. Take the bus to Animal Kingdom/Hollywood, it’s not that bad.

Monorail to EPCOT, also fun.

——

Animal Kingdom lodge is amazing and indeed on the more unique experience side. But doesn’t give that ‘freedom’ vibe you have at poly.

That said, AKL has two more benefits:
1. Close to Animal Kindom, where you’ll probably spend a lot of time since it’s the best park out if Magic Kingdom (personal opinion of course).

2. Food at Boma - might be the best restaurant in WDW food-wise (again, in my opinion, with Ohana @ poly right behind it).

I fond Poly to have this ‘vacation’ atmosphere that no other resort has (although haven’t been to all). It’s def our favorite.

I think location shouldn’t matter that much esp. if no kids. Take the bus to Animal Kingdom/Hollywood, it’s not that bad.

Monorail to EPCOT, also fun.

——

Animal Kingdom lodge is amazing and indeed on the more unique experience side. But doesn’t give that ‘freedom’ vibe you have at poly.

That said, AKL has two more benefits:
1. Close to Animal Kindom, where you’ll probably spend a lot of time since it’s the best park out if Magic Kingdom (personal opinion of course).

2. Food at Boma - might be the best restaurant in WDW food-wise (again, in my opinion, with Ohana @ poly right behind it).
Jiko might even be better than Boma. And AKL (Jambo House) is also very similar to GCV.

Normally, I recommend a resort on the monorail. They are our favs, but they are most convenient to the MK - the most like the familiar DL. Since you are frequent visitors to DL, I would suggest staying at the BW in the Epcot area or the AKL. these are great places with romance, great dining either at the resort or nearby, nice bars and pools and unusual themes. Both have great regular rooms and DVC options.

BWI:
pros
easily walk or boat ride to Epcot and DHS
bus ride to MK and AK is not long
lots of nightlife on the BW itself
walk around the lake to enjoy amenities at the Yc/BC and the Swan?Dolphin
get a park hopper and enjoy dining at any or all of the restaurants in World Showcase in Epcot
Rooms are large, beautiful, bright and cheerful
really little need to have your own vehicle
cons
we love everything about this resort, but...
perhaps long hallways/some rooms distant from main resort area?
The Clown pool, for some people

AKL:
pros
theming - WOW!, this place is simply amazing!
exotic, dark and mysterious
so relaxing with a nice adults only atmosphere
dining here is all great from Mara for QS to Jiko for fine dining - you will find lots of exotic tasty items to enjoy
Boma, the buffet, is a personal fav with lots of great vegetarian options
it feels like a calm respite from the parks
the most affordable deluxe in WDW
all rooms have balconies
fun to watch the animals from your balcony
nice pool
5 minute bus ride to AK
Cons
bus transportation only
rooms are smaller, but comfortable
distance from the MK (20 minute bus ride) bothers some people
your own car could be useful here

We have stayed at both of these on adults only trips. I think that either would be an excellent choice for you, but really any WDW deluxe resort is a good choice. Just pick the theme and location that best fits your budget.

my choice, FWIW, would be the BWI.

Good luck!

Thank you for your AKL review - I think that will be our next choice
AKL seems to us like an upgraded moderate because of the bus

I vote for AKL-savanna view, following by garden or water view at BWI and YC.
Grand Floridian is beautiful too with their Victorian decor.

Coronado Springs if a king bed iscimportant. Moderates are the only resorts where king is a bookable category. It hss more food and bar options than the other Moderates.

Or a DVC one bedroom, because they all have only king beds in the one bedrooms. So, Polynesian.

I recommend the Boardwalk Inn--walk to both HS and EP, including all the restaurants in World Showcase. I personally like more quiet so I recommend a quiet pool view room. If u are animal lovers like me, then u might also like Animal Kingdom Lodge. Animal viewing is great and the bus system has never been an issue for me. Also, the resort has three great restaurants--Boma, Jiko, and Sanaa. Have fun planning your once in a lifetime--hope u get to spend about 2 weeks to literally get a glimpse of everything that WDW has to offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!