Best resort at Christmas-time?

smelton521

Mouseketeer
We have never been to Disney World while it is decorated for Christmas and are leaning towards a week-long trip the week after Thanksgiving 2020. Since we are a family of 5, we are considering renting DVC. Do some DVC resorts go more “over the top” at Christmas? Our kids will range from age 12 to 6 and it will be our 6 year old daughter’s first trip. All 3 of them currently still believe in Santa, although that may change by then. Which DVC resorts would you suggest for the ultimate Christmas Disney magic trip?

We have never been to Disney World while it is decorated for Christmas and are leaning towards a week-long trip the week after Thanksgiving 2020. Since we are a family of 5, we are considering renting DVC. Do some DVC resorts go more “over the top” at Christmas? Our kids will range from age 12 to 6 and it will be our 6 year old daughter’s first trip. All 3 of them currently still believe in Santa, although that may change by then. Which DVC resorts would you suggest for the ultimate Christmas Disney magic trip?
CCV would be at the top of my list but a family of 5 would need a 2BR villa since studios and 1BRs there only accommodate 4.

BRV would be my second. Studios accommodate 5. :crowded:

Third on my list would be VGF. Studios accommodate 5 and are roomier than BRV.

Whatever you choose, go in with the understanding that studios are difficult to book with DVC during Fall Frenzy and the week that you have selected is the highest-demand week of the year for DVC owners.

Even if you stay at one of the ones mentioned, one of the Wilderness Lodge resorts, or Grand Floridian, definitely go over to the Beach Club. They usually have a chocolate carousel!

2CB9A425-6BE5-4739-BCE2-5C6E02BF6FE8.jpeg

CCV and BRV have the most traditional type Christmas feel plus it's easy to get over to FW to see all the decorating that the campers do there. VGF has a big Gingerbread house and a giant tree in the lobby - it has an elegant Christmas vibe. And no matter where you stay it's great to visit other resorts and see the decorations. BC lobby has the chocolate carousel as mentioned and YC has a train garden that is fun to look at. The Epcot resorts are nice because of the easy access to Epcot which has a lot of Christmas activities going on.

I echo most comments above, especially in regard to Wilderness Lodge--it's definitely a notch above any other resort given its NW theming which fits hand-to-glove with the holiday spirit. That being said, the ability to snag a reservation there during the holidays is difficult, and you need to be ready to get an owner who owns there (either Copper Creek or Boulder Ridge) to book right at 11 months. As relayed above, Copper Creek only sleeps 5 or more starting with 2BRs, and those are pricey. Boulder Ridge studios sleep 5, and I believe the 1BRs there sleep 4 with the ability to bring an air mattress and sleep 5 as long as you provide your own bedding. Second to the Lodge, I'd rank the Grand Floridian, then followed by the Epcot resorts. As KAT mentions above, wherever you stay, I urge you to get out and visit other resorts to catch their decorations, especially Fort Wilderness. Many RVers there go all out on decorations.

When will the resorts be decorated for Christmas? Will be there through the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Will any resorts be decorated by then?

The resorts will be decorated before Thanksgiving - I specifically remember pulling into Coronado Springs the Wed night before Turkey day a few years ago and it looked great
I also echo the same sentiments as PPs.

Wilderness Lodge - either CCV or BRV - I go one of the first 2 weeks of December, and this resort's decor was a big factor(BRV) - Copper creek is in the main building, so you will get a little more of the Christmas vibe, but Boulder Ridge is right there. I have taken my kindle into the main lobby late at night and read in front of the Christmas Tree, it was so nice.

Grand Floridian - 2nd choice - I bought DVC with the intent of using it for the Christmas trip because it also Rocks at Christmas! Problem is - it is very hard to get, particularly studios. Not sure what type of room you are planning on, but if it is a studio, as a renter, I would say there is 0 chance of getting a VGF studio at that time. I own there and have so much trouble getting one at 11 months, I barely even try, I go with Boulder Ridge. That is a ressie that basically has to be walked.

Here is where I diverge -Beach Club. I think it is a must see, the carousel is cool, and walking over to the Yacht Club for the Christmas Village is really cool too, but as far as Resorts at Christmas time - I have to put Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) ahead of it. Although neither are bad choices.

Board walk - Honorable mention.

Worst - (and its my fav resort in general) Polynesian - totally underwhelming at Christmas compared to other resorts.

More notes since it is your first Christmas Trip:

In past years there have been Christmas Tree pass along programs going at various resorts, not sure if they still go on, I haven't participated in a few years.
If you do not rent DVC, I would vote for Coronado Springs as best Moderate at Christmas
Rent a golf cart and drive around Fort Wilderness to see the decorations!

Last edited:
The week after Thanksgiving 2020 will be the first week of December. You may be looking at the point charts and thinking it is the best time because points needed are lower than other times and thus rental cost will be lower, while all the Christmas decorations will be up. Be aware that because of that lower cost and having the decorations, that first week of December is the highest DVC demand week of the year. An owner of a particular DVC resort can reserve beginning 8 a.m. eastern at exactly 11 months out from date of arrival. For that first week of December, there are numerous rooms that can fill within seconds after 8 a.m. eastern at 11 months out. In other words, the members whose computers communicate with Disney's faster than others are the lucky ones who get the reservation.

That issue is particularly acute for studios at near park resorts, although it can also apply to some larger rooms, e.g., 1BRs at VGF and CCV can disappear quick at 11 months out, likewise standard or boardwalk view 2BRs at BWV. If you actually want a studio for that time period at a near park resort, it can be important to find an owner of the resort you want before the 11 month window opens who will be willing to go online at exactly 8 a.m. 11 months out to reserve, with the risk that he might not get the rreserevaiton. It will likely not be easy to find such an owner. Even for a larger room that is not among those that fill immediately at 8 a.m., you should also plan to reserve close to 11 months out as possible -- they are more likely to last longer into the 11 month window but don't expect any of them to be available for very long past that 11-month window.

Last edited:
They are all wonderful during the Holiday season! IMO, the "best" resort is the one you can actually get. :teeth:

The time you are considering is a very, very popular time for DVC members to use their points. Studios for the near park resorts are especially difficult to book between Thanksgiving & Marathon weekend (in January). You may need to commit to renting 11 months in advance to assure a reservation. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your advice! Our school is always closed that Friday the week after Thanksgiving and since they have the whole week of Thanksgiving off they never have any major tests or projects due that week, making it the best time for us to go around Christmas and avoid the crowds of holiday break. I had no idea it would be one of the most difficult weeks of the year to rent DVC! I guess I will make a normal reservation through Disney at a resort and then cancel that if we are able to rent DVC. How do I try to find an owner and work out the details prior to the 11 month mark so that they can try to get us a reservation at 8am that day?

Thank you all so much for your advice! Our school is always closed that Friday the week after Thanksgiving and since they have the whole week of Thanksgiving off they never have any major tests or projects due that week, making it the best time for us to go around Christmas and avoid the crowds of holiday break. I had no idea it would be one of the most difficult weeks of the year to rent DVC! I guess I will make a normal reservation through Disney at a resort and then cancel that if we are able to rent DVC. How do I try to find an owner and work out the details prior to the 11 month mark so that they can try to get us a reservation at 8am that day?
Just make sure you ignore any private messages you get that you don't initiate. That is a great way to get scammed.

They are all wonderful during the Holiday season! IMO, the "best" resort is the one you can actually get. :teeth:

I totally agree with this!!

But the two I have actually stayed at (non-DVC) during Christmas are POFQ and AKL, and I loved them both! There are some pics in here:

Mini Trip Report

My our favorite DVC resort is OKW any time of year. But at Christmas I like it because we are able to hang lights on the "deck". In 2016 I was able to get a 2br for nine nights Dec 18th-26th inside 6months. So it's hit or miss.

I would have to say BRV or CCV. Very festive and at the same time, very cozy. Another some ever hardly mention is AKL. That lobby is on par with WL during the holiday season IMO. Stunning! Another two are GF and Boardwalk as I love the big tree out on the boardwalk and the caroling. It doesn't really matter where you stay though because the good thing is you can always do a resort hop for the holidays which we do every time we visit in December and immerse yourself in what all the resorts have to offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!