Best Rental Option with childseats - 2 adults, 3 kids

Anatonic

Earning My Ears
Hi all

Hope you might be able to help guide me a little on a question I have on rental for our upcoming vacation on May 8th...

We’re flying into MCO from the UK and have previously used Alamo - and usually picked a standard SUV or similar in previous trips which has been perfect.

However, we now have 3 kids in tow (3.5yrs, 22mths, 4mths) and need to rent a car that’s going to take our 3 child seats in some configuration, with luggage space for 3 x large suitcases + twin stroller. A few people have said go for a 7 seater but having never seen any of these cars I wondered if you think that would take 3 child seats + luggage? Maybe splitting the rear fold seats so that part of the 60/40 is down would accommodate and then the 3 child seats spread across the remaining seats?

For reference we have a Q7 here in the UK and it’s one of only a few cars that can get three seats next to one another comfortably on one bench - don’t expect to be able to do that, although it would be nice.

Any suggestions? Would a 7 seater SUV be a better option?

Final note - the reality is we only need the space from MCO to our accommodation and same on the return journey. The rest of the holiday will just be taking small rucksacks and the twin stroller.

Thanks!

I would get a minivan. The configuration of those that seat 7 are usually the two seats in the front, two in the middle row with an aisle in between and three across the back. An 8 seat minivan would have a 3 seat row in the middle and in the back as well. We never had much luck getting three car seats in a single row in any vehicle we owned and we own an 8 passenger minivan in real life, the third seat is usually really narrow. An SUV would have a similar arrangement if it sat 7 as the minivan, but it's hard to get to the back to fasten car seats and such. Yours are little so I imagine you have to do everything still:) A minivan would give you lots of cargo space as well.

Our Toyota Highlander said 7 passengers but it was really an 8 passenger; I have no idea how anyone would manage to get a car seat in that third row. Maybe by climbing in the back?

Thanks all - we’re staying offsite - I’m seriously considering taking a couple of smaller / thinner 5-point harness seats for our older two so that we have a better chance of fitting these alongside our infant seat.

Arbor the minute I’m thinking the easiest option here is a 7 seat minivan - with two seats in the captains chairs on row 2 and the third chair on 3rd row with the seats split to give enough room for luggage from the airport. Plus it’ll give easier access to the 3rd row day to day when we’re not with luggage other than a stroller?

A minivan will be much easier access to the third row. Another thought as well with the car seats, some minivans have the capability for one of the middle captain's chairs to be folded up and stay out of the way so you could have a big open space to access the third row, but then two car seats are the back. This might be an option too so there's a little less climbing around.

Thanks all - we’re staying offsite - I’m seriously considering taking a couple of smaller / thinner 5-point harness seats for our older two so that we have a better chance of fitting these alongside our infant seat.

Arbor the minute I’m thinking the easiest option here is a 7 seat minivan - with two seats in the captains chairs on row 2 and the third chair on 3rd row with the seats split to give enough room for luggage from the airport. Plus it’ll give easier access to the 3rd row day to day when we’re not with luggage other than a stroller?
just remember that most minivans have very little storage in the back. any chance of thinking about renting the double stroller offsite? I know when we have traveled with daughter when she needed the double stroller most times their luggage went in back of our truck with their Dodge Caravan. we were glad when youngest as able to use that hard plastic park strollers not just at Disney so we could leave stroller home freed up a lot of room

Go with a 7 passenger minivan. We had friends who had triplets, two carseats were in the third row, and the dad put the kids into their seats from the back, over the seat. The other triplet and the older child sat in the second row. There should be enough space in the way back for luggage along with the space between the second row seats, and even on the third row between the carseats. Not sure how wide your stroller and bags are though.

If you use the 60/40 option you shouldn't have any problem. Minivans can pack a lot.

Last edited:
Amazing - thanks all for the advice, and I think a 7 seater minivan is the route we’ll go. Our luggage isn’t extensive (we’re pretty good at travelling light considering!) - and it sounds like we’ll get it in from the airport even if we utilise the floor space around the 2nd row and into the 3rd. The remainder of the two weeks I can see us having plenty of space as luggage will be at the hotel. Now time to get it booked!

just remember that most minivans have very little storage in the back. any chance of thinking about renting the double stroller offsite? I know when we have traveled with daughter when she needed the double stroller most times their luggage went in back of our truck with their Dodge Caravan. we were glad when youngest as able to use that hard plastic park strollers not just at Disney so we could leave stroller home freed up a lot of room

I think they'll be OK. If they have captains chairs, a suitcase can fit in between the captains chairs. A suitcase in front of each of the captains chairs. The strolled in the area from the 60/40 split in the third row. Something like that. If it was my kids, the oldest would be in the back because they'd tolerate it better. The youngest will rear face. The middle either rear faces or legs are not long enough to be made uncomfortable by a suitcase in front of it. Or else kid can rest its feet on the suitcase. It might be tight, but if that configuration is only needed for to and from the airport, I think it'll be fine.

I think they'll be OK. If they have captains chairs, a suitcase can fit in between the captains chairs. A suitcase in front of each of the captains chairs. The strolled in the area from the 60/40 split in the third row. Something like that. If it was my kids, the oldest would be in the back because they'd tolerate it better. The youngest will rear face. The middle either rear faces or legs are not long enough to be made uncomfortable by a suitcase in front of it. Or else kid can rest its feet on the suitcase. It might be tight, but if that configuration is only needed for to and from the airport, I think it'll be fine.
would not be good with my grandkids when younger with the third row one being stuck until everything gotten out before you could get him. unless oldest can be trusted to fasten self it is a pain for adult to climb back to fasten up child there. when you get to resort oldest is in minivan until you unload other kids plus then stroller and suitcases not good with check in with Florida heat esp if that one could need bathroom. very few resorts can you unload at check in to your room

would not be good with my grandkids when younger with the third row one being stuck until everything gotten out before you could get him. unless oldest can be trusted to fasten self it is a pain for adult to climb back to fasten up child there. when you get to resort oldest is in minivan until you unload other kids plus then stroller and suitcases not good with check in with Florida heat esp if that one could need bathroom. very few resorts can you unload at check in to your room

Pro tip: Go through the back hatch for the third row kid. So much quicker :thumbsup2

Pro tip: Go through the back hatch for the third row kid. So much quicker :thumbsup2
I can not get child unhooked or hooked from back unless child could do self and yes I have used daughters minivan with 3 kids all of whom could not fasten self in carseat with harness not shoulder/lap belt

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!