Best race to do if bringing family along to enjoy the parks?

EricaDHouse

Earning My Ears
Which Disney world race would you do if you wanted to bring your family with you to vacation at the parks? And are crowds typically worse the week before or after a race?

I think Marathon weekend in January tends to be the most crowded as that is the most popular. There isn't a huge difference between the other 3 race weekends though in terms of crowds. Crowds normally start coming in around the Wednesday before the weekend and typically filter out by Tuesday following the weekend.

If I were you, I would just choose whatever race appeals to you.

The Princess race weekend always happens at the tail end of a school vacation week for the Northeast. The week following PHM should be less busy.

I don't think the race is really what you want to use to determine this, use what else is going on.

Want to be down there when the weather is cooler? Go with January's marathon weekend.
Want to enjoy Food & Wine? Go with Wine & Dine.
Want to see Epcot during Flower & Garden? Go with Star Wars.

I'd look at the races, see what they coincide with, and then base your trip on that more than the race theme IMO.

I think Marathon weekend in January tends to be the most crowded as that is the most popular. There isn't a huge difference between the other 3 race weekends though in terms of crowds. Crowds normally start coming in around the Wednesday before the weekend and typically filter out by Tuesday following the weekend.

If I were you, I would just choose whatever race appeals to you.

The last couple of Marathon Weekends have fallen very close to New Year’s with a lot of schools still on break. That’s resulted in them being very crowded. I expect the crowds for next year’s to be much reduced as it falls significantly later.

Otherwise, I like @GreatLakes suggestion of choosing based on the activities going on concurrently with the race events.

I would choose Wine and Dine because Disney is always so beautiful with the Christmas decorations. Or possibly Star Wars because of the Flower and Garden Festival and the warm weather.

The princess race weekend... to me, it seems a lot of people do this as a "girls weekend" and to be honest, I find some women get kind of obnoxious/self centered...not everyone, but definitely some I've observed.

And the past couple years, marathon weekend has been pretty cold, and this past year very crowded...

Thank you everyone! I’m from Florida so used to the heat but would prefer a cooler time. I LOVE food & wine but with young kids I’m not sure how much I would be able to enjoy that festival.

I did Princess last year and we stayed the week after with our 2 daughters (1 and 5). Weather was great - crowds were not too bad. We got to be there for the opening of flower and garden festival too.

Thank you everyone! I’m from Florida so used to the heat but would prefer a cooler time. I LOVE food & wine but with young kids I’m not sure how much I would be able to enjoy that festival.

We will have a 1 year old with us for F&W this year and I think he will enjoy the festival during the day. He is a pretty adventurous eater so he will try a bunch of new stuff. We are bringing grandma though so my wife and I can have some evening time to ourselves.

I think no matter what race you choose, there are tradeoffs involved. A great weather race may be more crowded. A less crowded time may see more attractions closed down.

I would choose the race theme that appeals to you the most. Every other element of the race such as weather, crowds, course, medals, etc. can and will change from year to year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!