Best place to rent wheelchair or scooter?

dmband

DIS Veteran
Sorry if this is right in front of my face but searching these keywords is next to impossible.
My mother has an a injury and most likely will not be able to walk long distances when we go in a couple of weeks.
I know Disney has chairs to rent and have read this http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disabmobility.htm
But is there a better option such as renting off site and having it delivered to your resort?
B Vista I see is advertised

Any help is appreciated as this was not expected and pretty much last minute
Tia

Walker Mobility has great scooters to rent. They sell them too but for a short term injury, I would just rent.

Are you staying on site? Then you do not need one that disassembles. If driving, you need to be able to break scooter down, and put it in car trunk. Have mom apply at home and get a short term handicapped parking pass. Her doctor can help with pass. Makes things a lot easier for parking. Have a great trip.

So, let's break it down really quickly.

First you need to figure out if your Mom will be better served by a wheelchair or an ECV.

Once you know that, then your next decision is which vendor you want to rent from.

I copied this directly from this page at DisneyWorld's website:

Disney Featured Providers
In addition to the locations listed here, several Orlando-area companies also offer ECVs, wheelchairs, strollers and other mobility products for rent. Pre-orders and deliveries to Disney Resort hotels are available through these providers, which include:

So, Walker, for example, is not currently a "featured provider". That does NOT mean they are a "bad" company - just that they didn't pay for the privilege of being in that list. As others here have, I have happily used Walker in the past with zero issues.

Best thing to do if you have questions about a specific vendor is call them directly.

Regardless of who you rent from, make sure that you find out what their office hours are. Make a contact in your phone, and put in not only their main phone number (and those office hours) but also any after-hours information - special after hours phone numbers or any special instructions you might need to remember. No one plans on their rental ECV or wheelchair breaking down, but it does happen from time to time. Having that info in advance will help get your vacation back on track faster.

Last, but not least is this: Regardless of whether she chooses to use an ECV or a wheelchair, come back to the DISabilities forum, and using the "Search..." box in the upper right corner of every page, look for "Tips for new ECV users" or "Tips for wheelchair users" and you will find all kinds of posts with all kinds of helpful information. And don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!

I've rented a scooter from Buena Vista the last many trips and had great service. I want a vendor that can drop off/pick up with the bell services at a WDW hotel so I don't have to be there waiting. Buena Vista gets good reviews as a "featured provider" and I see many good reviews for Walker as well. Probably you won't go wrong with either - call them both (and/or others) and compare prices and see how it fits your needs, etc.

One reason I rent from Buena Vista is the way you operate your scooter with your hands. I have some carpel tunnel (and maybe arthritis?) in my hands and with the BV scooters it works well for me the way you can grip the part of the scooter that actually makes it go. I can also leave the scooter on a moderate (as in faster) speed and control the speed with that "tiller" as opposed to dialing the button up and down while I drive. There's a thread here that explains it better - if that is an issue for your mom we can look it up. It's actually a reason I went with BV in the first place!

I've rented a scooter from Buena Vista the last many trips and had great service. I want a vendor that can drop off/pick up with the bell services at a WDW hotel so I don't have to be there waiting. Buena Vista gets good reviews as a "featured provider" and I see many good reviews for Walker as well. Probably you won't go wrong with either - call them both (and/or others) and compare prices and see how it fits your needs, etc.

One reason I rent from Buena Vista is the way you operate your scooter with your hands. I have some carpel tunnel (and maybe arthritis?) in my hands and with the BV scooters it works well for me the way you can grip the part of the scooter that actually makes it go. I can also leave the scooter on a moderate (as in faster) speed and control the speed with that "tiller" as opposed to dialing the button up and down while I drive. There's a thread here that explains it better - if that is an issue for your mom we can look it up. It's actually a reason I went with BV in the first place!

Same here-the way you control it is exactly why I'm considering Buena Vista for my next rental. With Walker scooters, the "go" is controled by pushing a lever with your thumb. It doesn't take long for my thumb to get pretty tired! Especially what with all the stop and gos from people stepping in front of me. The "featured"/"non-featured" aspect isn't much of an issue. Walker has always been relatively easy with pick up and drop-off.

We rented a scooter from Buena Vista for my husband to use on our last trip. We also rented a power chair. The company delivered both of these to our resort at the time we were told to expect them, and they picked them up when we asked them to on the day we left.

Does anyone have thoughts on which vendor to use for a wheelchair? My DH has used a Disney wheelchair for two trips. He gets around at home ok. At disney, his knees can't take all the walking/standing. But last trip we had some issues with the wheels locking. I think it's due to the age of disney's chairs and DH weight (about 260).

I'm trying Buena Vista for the first this November. I'm switching to them from another vendor I used for years.

I like the idea that Buena Vista is on Disney property. They have a store on Boardwalk.

I am renting from Buena Vista for the 4th time in September. They may be a little more expensive than some of the others but their customer service makes up for it. Last trip my scooter started malfunctioning at Animal Kingdom. They met us at the park and rec CED the scooter with a new fully charged one.

Has anyone rented from yellow scooter ? They stated they replace their scooters every 6 mo . I'm giving in to DH that I will need one this trip . I am in a RA flair with fibromyalgia and syatamtic Lymphoma. It's been a hard battle I'm only 45 and have gained weight from all the meds . I don't want some looking at me thinking I'm just to lazy to walk . I should add our very thin 19 year old will be in her chair from am spinal injury from cheerleading at 12 .Last trip we had a Chinese family climb all over her and break her chair at the castle lighting and two giants push her chair to stand directly infront of her so we know the looks and rudeness will happen . I know we will get looks for the bus .

Has anyone rented from yellow scooter ? They stated they replace their scooters every 6 mo . I'm giving in to DH that I will need one this trip . I am in a RA flair with fibromyalgia and syatamtic Lymphoma. It's been a hard battle I'm only 45 and have gained weight from all the meds . I don't want some looking at me thinking I'm just to lazy to walk . I should add our very thin 19 year old will be in her chair from am spinal injury from cheerleading at 12 .Last trip we had a Chinese family climb all over her and break her chair at the castle lighting and two giants push her chair to stand directly infront of her so we know the looks and rudeness will happen . I know we will get looks for the bus .

First of all, if her chair was broken by another Guest, I hope you all reached out to Guest Relations - or at the very least, the nearest CM - to let them know what happened.

I'm sorry that your daughter had such a rough time on your last visit. But over the last 10 years, I have personally seen a reduction in the kind of incidents that used to plague this community on a regular basis; overall it seems as though everyone is much more understanding and accepting that Guests of ALL kinds are welcome at WDW.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you at WDW - your chances of running into anyone you see on your vacation at WDW again? You have a better chance to hit the Lotto jackpot AND get struck by lightning on the same day.

And if you do? So what. You have a legitimate need for a mobility device - and I personally think you are very smart to use every tool at your disposal to have the best possible trip. Anyone who judges you does so from a place of ignorance and fear. Ignore them. Seriously.

At the bus stops, don't get caught in the whole "everyone is looking at me" trap. They are looking AT THE BUS because the damn bus beeps, flips out a big 'ol ramp and carries on like it's the end of the world. YOU just happen to be there, in their line of sight. And let's face it - for the majority of people who never have had to deal with mobility issues, it can be interesting to watch, simply from a "Oh, that's how they get on the bus" perspective.

If - and this is a big IF, because no one probably will - anyone says anything like "must be nice to get on the bus FIRST", then you simply give them a big smile, and say in your sweetest voice "Yes, but remember that we are always the last ones OFF of the bus when we get there!" and then turn away - don't engage further. Trust me, it shuts them up.

And... if you run into that ONE PERSON who just won't let it go - who is just determined to ruin your day and everyone else's? What if you just can't ignore that person for some reason? Then you give them the full Mamabunny treatment: You give them the biggest, most dazzling smile you have, look 'em straight in the eye, and in your best southern drawl, you say this: "Bless your heart!"* And then you wave like the Princess you are, and sail off into the sunset, with the sure and certain knowledge that Karma has a long, long memory my dear.

Have a lovely, wonderful trip. And don't worry - they are all too busy posting lunch to Instagram, and taking selfies to notice much anyway! ;)

*those of us from down south know *exactly* what that means... ;)

And let's face it - for the majority of people who never have had to deal with mobility issues, it can be interesting to watch, simply from a "Oh, that's how they get on the bus" perspective.

This so me. I'm more amazed how do they get on the bus, make that turn, get into the "parking" spot.

First of all, if her chair was broken by another Guest, I hope you all reached out to Guest Relations - or at the very least, the nearest CM - to let them know what happened.

I'm sorry that your daughter had such a rough time on your last visit. But over the last 10 years, I have personally seen a reduction in the kind of incidents that used to plague this community on a regular basis; overall it seems as though everyone is much more understanding and accepting that Guests of ALL kinds are welcome at WDW.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks of you at WDW - your chances of running into anyone you see on your vacation at WDW again? You have a better chance to hit the Lotto jackpot AND get struck by lightning on the same day.

And if you do? So what. You have a legitimate need for a mobility device - and I personally think you are very smart to use every tool at your disposal to have the best possible trip. Anyone who judges you does so from a place of ignorance and fear. Ignore them. Seriously.

At the bus stops, don't get caught in the whole "everyone is looking at me" trap. They are looking AT THE BUS because the damn bus beeps, flips out a big 'ol ramp and carries on like it's the end of the world. YOU just happen to be there, in their line of sight. And let's face it - for the majority of people who never have had to deal with mobility issues, it can be interesting to watch, simply from a "Oh, that's how they get on the bus" perspective.

If - and this is a big IF, because no one probably will - anyone says anything like "must be nice to get on the bus FIRST", then you simply give them a big smile, and say in your sweetest voice "Yes, but remember that we are always the last ones OFF of the bus when we get there!" and then turn away - don't engage further. Trust me, it shuts them up.

And... if you run into that ONE PERSON who just won't let it go - who is just determined to ruin your day and everyone else's? What if you just can't ignore that person for some reason? Then you give them the full Mamabunny treatment: You give them the biggest, most dazzling smile you have, look 'em straight in the eye, and in your best southern drawl, you say this: "Bless your heart!"* And then you wave like the Princess you are, and sail off into the sunset, with the sure and certain knowledge that Karma has a long, long memory my dear.

Have a lovely, wonderful trip. And don't worry - they are all too busy posting lunch to Instagram, and taking selfies to notice much anyway! ;)

*those of us from down south know *exactly* what that means... ;)
Thank you you made my day I had two doctors tell me it was the only way and I don't know why this is causing me to have a very serious melt down . My husband keeps reminding me that its about the family time and thats all that matters . No-one else knows the journey we have traveled . Sometimes you just need to hear it from some one else .

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but I hope it does. At first, I wasn't sharing it on here, because I was honestly afraid I'd get people saying I was taking advantage of something, and honestly, I kind of felt I was. But I've gotten no negative responses to my story here, so I'll continue to share, as a "don't worry" example. :)

I'm now 34, and took my first Disney trip last summer. At the age of 29, I had a hip replacement, due to complications from hip problems and subsequent surgery I had at age 9. And my entire life, I've had some minor physical limitations. I always like to think they are not obvious to others, but I think they are more obvious than I realize, because, despite being and looking young, I am nearly always offered a seat on a full bus/light rail, whether at Disney or the occasional times I take public transportation. That's the intro (part 2), and here's my Disney story.

On our week long trip, the last day in the parks (Magic Kingdom) my friends rented a wheel chair for me. I'll be honest, I was kind of upset. I didn't feel I "needed" it, because, honestly, I can do longer distances. I'm just slow. Like... really slow, especially be the end of the day. As I mentioned earlier, I felt like I was taking advantage of something I shouldn't. Looking back, I'm glad they did rent the wheelchair for me, because the next day was departure day, and I'm honestly not sure I would have navigated nearly as well at the airport the next day with my luggage (carry on) if I hadn't had that "rest" day the last day in the parks.

One special thing that happened to me is I saw a young girl also in a wheelchair, with a pink cast on her leg. She looked pretty sad to have to use the wheelchair. But the moment she saw me, she got this HUGE smile on her face and waved at me. I think I was probably the first younger looking person she saw in a wheelchair, and it made her feel not quite so alone. So... all that to say there are definitely advantages to renting a scooter/wheelchair and there may been some hidden magic pixie dust in that wheelchair/scooter too.

(P.S. I love sharing my full story to hopefully encourage others. Post here or PM me if you want to hear it

Following along. I've broken my ankle and will be in a walking boot at the time of my Labor Day weekend getaway, so, I'm sure I'll need a scooter. I've never had this problem before and I had no idea where to start looking for one, so, this thread is a HUGE help for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!