Best Park Shoes for Kids

Natives are great. Same idea as Crocs (I think) but with better support (the sole seems better anyway). I think they're even making adult versions of Natives now though no idea how silly they might look. Also, they dry SO quick if you did go on a water ride.

I've never heard of these. I will check them out. Thanks.

Finally.....well constructed sneakers don't need to be broken in before wearing. If they readily bend in half they are good to go.
No bending? No buying on this end.

Not so much the bending, but the spots that may rub and cause blisters - you should wear them to make sure they are comfortable, and have no hot spots for making feet sore.

We have brought both Keens and sneakers in trips past and expect to do the same in April. I also make sure to have Moleskin on hand for those spots that may start to irritate. It can be a lifesaver in preventing blisters.

Not so much the bending, but the spots that may rub and cause blisters - you should wear them to make sure they are comfortable, and have no hot spots for making feet sore.
Sometimes I forget that nowadays people can readily buy shoes without trying them on so don't always state the obvious. I pretty much depend on how a shoe is made to discount topical foot issues but that's kinda old fashioned too. No matter how well a shoe's interior is constructed the sole has to bend to move with your foot.

Really wish shoe manufacturers would come up with a universal shoe last but guess they figure if dress manufacturers don't have to adhere to a universal size chart why should they? LOL

We bring two pairs of sneakers per kid (and adult, for that matter), along with some moleskin for blisters, and pool shoes. One kid requires expensive shoes because of his feet (New Balance). We take the pool shoes to Animal Kingdom for Kali River Rapids so we don't have wet feet for the rest of the day, and stash our other shoes in a locker.

Sometimes I forget that nowadays people can readily buy shoes without trying them on so don't always state the obvious. I pretty much depend on how a shoe is made to discount topical foot issues but that's kinda old fashioned too. No matter how well a shoe's interior is constructed the sole has to bend to move with your foot.

Really wish shoe manufacturers would come up with a universal shoe last but guess they figure if dress manufacturers don't have to adhere to a universal size chart why should they? LOL

I have no idea what you are trying to say in your first paragraph - "so don't always state the obvious" is referring to yourself, I hope? And no, a shoe does not have to bend with your foot; at least none of my think soled, very sturdy, solid boots don't bend. They have a curved 'rocker' sole and are just fine. No foot issues at all with them.

I have no idea what you are trying to say in your first paragraph - "so don't always state the obvious" is referring to yourself, I hope? And no, a shoe does not have to bend with your foot; at least none of my think soled, very sturdy, solid boots don't bend. They have a curved 'rocker' sole and are just fine. No foot issues at all with them.
Since the initial subject at the start of the sentence is "I" my opinion and thoughts was being spelt out :).
Most podiatrists think sneakers (again to be clear the type of shoe I was discussing as opposed to boots) should bend and I follow that orthodoxy; to each his own on that level.
On the bright side in life, I've never had a callus or corn except for the time I thought cute was better and purchased evening shoes that I knew didn't fit properly. One time suffering was enough for me to learn the lesson well.
My grandmothers and mother taught my generation one thing well about feet: Don't chintz on the body part that holds all your weight; you'll be thankful in later years. They were right for my sight although I did used to wonder why my Virginian grandmother said never lend your shoes to anyone since they could work "roots" on you...maybe roots was code for fungi?

Keens or for my DS who has wider feet, Merrell that are the same kind of shoe. Then a good pair of sneakers. We rotate depending on what sounds comfortable to them. I did switch out their shoes for flip flops for KRR at AK though. :)

We rotate between flip flops, crocs, sneakers, and M.A.P. shoes/sandals which are similar to Keens.

I think shoes depends on your child. My son loves his flip flops that have a special "cushion". They are not your typical pool flip flop and more a sandal flip flop with special soles. I wished they had a pair in adult size. My girls love their sandals & flip flops. All three never complain about their feet hurting when walking. We always go in summer and to them sneakers make their feet "too hot".

I've been wondering the same thing. I've never used Keens before, what type of keens do you use for the kids? The only "waterproof" shoes one the keens website are hiking shoes. The sandals says quick drying, is that good enough?

Any good brand of sport sandal; it is best to have a shoe with a heel strap, so that it con't fly off on coasters. You'll want something that can take getting wet, rather than sneakers which are miserable if they get soaked on a ride like Kali.

For kids, the Land's End water sandals are a nice value; also, if you shop at places like Sam's Club, right now they have some Eddie Bauer's at a very good price (actually made by Merrell). I have also sometimes found Khombu sandals at Marshalls; that's an excellent Canadian brand.

Tevas, Chacos, and Keens are great shoes, but a bit pricey, so I generally didn't buy them for my kids when they were young and growing through several sizes a year. My DH and DS are devoted Keens fans, I prefer Merrell or Clarks Privos, and DD prefers Merrells.

I would also advise buying a couple of sticks of Body Glide (made for runners) to use to lubricate any hot spots; Body Glide is water resistant, so it doesn't easily rinse off.

PS: For those who say that sneakers don't get soaking wet on Kali, I have to wonder if you've ever been on the ride. There is a foot bar about 10 inches off the floor of the raft that is supposed to keep your shoes dry, but it absolutely does NOT work for the majority of guests. Depending on the weight load of the raft, there are often situations where that bar will go underwater for 30 seconds or so. Most younger kids' feet can't reach the bar anyway, and their dangling feet are usually right in the path of the waves that wash over the side.

Besides that, one of the most fun activities for young kids are the splash fountains, and sneakers will definitely get soaked in those.

Last edited:
My 8 and 10 year olds rotated between sneakers (well broken in- they've had them since the beginning of the school year) and sandals- Keens for on, Tevas for the other. The sandals weren't broken in just due to the timing of the trip (we decided to go a week prior so had to scramble to get them) and they were just fine. No blisters, no issues at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts