Best park for toddlers?

JayLew5695

Earning My Ears
Taking my 3, 2, and 10 month old to one of the Disney World parks this Spring. We want to save the magic of Magic Kingdom for the big family trip next Winter, so I'm looking for some advice on the best park for us (aside from Magic Kingdom) for a one day trip? They love Toy Story, but it doesn't sound like Toy Story Land will be ready in time at Hollywood. So ... which park should we visit?

Last edited:
For toddlers, MK is really the best, but if you're set on waiting, I think you're right in that DHS probably isn't the best choice.

AK has Na'vi, Triceratops Whirl, The Boneyard, the Safari, the FotLK show, the trails, Rafiki's, and character meet and greets. I love Nemo, but it's on the long side for toddlers.

Epcot has LwtL, Nemo, Turtle Talk, the Seas, SE, Figment, 3 Caballeros, character meets and FEA. Oh, and the sidewalk fountains. ;-)

I guess I'd lean toward AK. You could round things out with a fun ADR either way.

My 2 1/2 yr old loved HS even without toy story land this December. We rode TSMM and met Buzz and Woody, saw the Disney jr show and met characters in the animation courtyard. He shopped will we switched off riding ToT and made friends with a cm in the store. He loved the Christmas tree and giant ornaments in the lake but probably would have been just as enchanted with only Bertie (the big dinosaur) we didn’t even get to the other shows, we took a mid day break and hit ToT at night.

MK is always going to be the best for that age, but which to choose between the remaining 3 is always about the personalities of the kids to me. If they loooove animals, AK is the obvious choice, but if they like to cool off in the Florida heat, AK might not be great. If they want to meet the Disney jr characters, HS would be fun but if they don't like "shows" or characters then maybe not. If they like to have activities, or to play in water, EPCOT would be fine (it always felt like there is more "room" at EPCOT for kids to stretch their legs). EPCOT also has a wide range of food available, and if you go in the right time in Spring, if the Flower and Garden festival is going on, there are usually playgrounds and more activities for the kids, as well as the butterfly house, etc... Downside to EPCOT, on the weekends it can get crowded in the right conditions with lots of adults and there is lots of walking.

I would say any of them other than Epcot. Our daughter always seemed to break down at that park. We went at various times of the year at all ages once she turned 2. She was great everywhere but Epcot seemed to always bring out the evil in that kid. Lol.

I’ve talked to others who have similar stories. You asked for opinions... and we know how they go. So there’s mine. ;)

HS isn’t good for kids currently, like you said. It has 4 rides currently, and only one of them doesn’t have a height restraint and other than rides, there isnt that much. Maybe they would like the shows there. But it’s probably not the best choice. Between Epcot and AK, AK is probably better for kids. I didn’t really like Epcot as a kid. It has some things that appeal to kids and now it has FEA. AK has animals and they might especially like the Kilimanjaro Safaris. I personally wouldn’t wait to do MK until next year- it really just has a lot more for little kids and it makes the money more worth it.

I'd probably go with AK for that age group if you aren't doing MK. The FOTLK show, triceratops spin, safari ride, Navi River Journey, nature trails, train, Dinosaur boneyard playground, etc. are all very toddler friendly. EPCOT is OK, too - the aquarium area, Turtle Talk with Crush, the Mission Space playground area, Figment, the Land boat ride, FEA, Spaceship Earth, etc. can all be done with a toddler (though if your toddler doesn't like the dark Spaceship Earth might be too much).

At 18 months, my son enjoyed Epcot and AK equally, I’d say. He was a huge fan of the Turtle Talk attraction at Epcot and Festival of the Lion King at AK.

Well with no Magic Kingdom it comes down to 2 choices Animal Kingdom or Hollywood. If you little ones like animals its easy AK's animal walk paths will entertain them to no end. Hollywood has a lot of shows and M&G's that will entertain them but very little in the way of rides right now.

Magic Kingdom - no contest!! No other park comes close for those ages. No way would I 'save' it for a future trip. That won't affect their excitements at a later date, trust me!

*Quick note: I notice you're a new member and it's worth noting many people on this board like to use acronyms when discussing various Disney rides/sites. I'm providing you the names of rides I discuss in parenthesis just in case you needed some decoding. I've been here a while and still have to stop and think about some of these acronyms as I'm reading others' posts. LOL*

I said above that any park other than Epcot would be a good choice because that's the one park that always brought out the devil in my child. So, here's why I think my daughter (now 7) always had a break down at Epcot until she was about 5. This is from the perspective of a (now) 35 year old father.

First, let's consider size/foot travel because the comments below are directly effected by this aspect. In terms of the amount of area you'll cover on foot, Epcot is the largest of any of the parks. Followed by MK, then AK and finally HS. I did a quick Google search because I was curious and sure enough:
http://knowdw.com/theme-parks/walking-distance-disney-world/

Okay, on with some rationale for why I'd recommend avoiding Epcot with toddlers:

1) Heat/Lack of Shade - At Epcot there's a pretty significant lack of shade throughout. Sure, there are shaded areas here and there. But by and large the shade is quite scarce. There are shops and attraction areas to duck in to but as you're walking around World Showcase (WS) there simply is a lot of sun beating down on you. Obviously the time of year you go will dictate how much that heat bothers you. But, like Philadelphia, it's always sunny in Orlando. You're going to be there in the Spring?... yea... it's going to be hot.

Comparatively: AK has a lot of shade throughout but is also naturally warmer. HS doesn't have the foot travel that Epcot or AK do but has little/no shade.

2) Being stuck in a stroller - I don't think this needs a lot of explaining. Epcot involves a lot of walking as I said above. You pair this with #1 above and you can figure how unhappy a toddler will get after an hour. Even with a cover. We bought a battery operated fan/mister that clipped on to the stroller's shield portion to help keep our daughter cool and I'm sure it helped but I can't gauge just how much because (typically) by our half-way point around WS, the meltdown had ensued. Being wheeled around WS wasn't her cup of tea.

3) Ride Selection to break up travel "around the World" - There simply aren't many places to make pit-stops along your tour of the WS. At least not with the toddler in mind. There's just not much for a toddler to do other than Frozen Ever After (FEA). (And yes, I am aware of all the other ride options such as Spaceship Earth, Turtle Talk, etc but am speaking from our POV; and FEA wasn't open until a couple years ago.) Certainly there are toddler-friendly rides but I view Epcot more as an "adult" park. I'm sure many would agree and I know there are some who would disagree. There are Meet & Greets (M&G) with characters spread throughout WS which may help. But it wasn't enough for us. So when you pair that with #2 above it's a recipe for disaster. But that's my POV. I'm sure others have children that didn't mind it and are perfectly happy to tell us about it.

Comparatively: AK has a "quest" of sorts, called Wilderness Explorers (here's a link), where they can obtain a map and go on a knowledge-based expedition to get a number of "badges" (stickers, IIRC). My daughter enjoyed that. There's also the Safari and a couple shows and there's the Triceratops Spin (dumbo substitute). HS doesn't have the foot travel that Epcot or AK do but has little/no shade. There's Toy Story Midway Mania (TSMM) that nearly every toddler enjoys (even if they're not good at it). There's Ariel's ride (forgetting the name) and Disney Jr. Playhouse show and obviously various M&Gs. That's really about it for toddlers, though. However, the good thing about HS is that if you were to tour the park you won't find yourself stuck a loooooong walk away from the exit like you might if you were at the apex of WS in Epcot.​

I realize everyone is different; especially every child. But that was our experience through the more trying years (2-5 yo). Overall my daughter was a great toddler and rarely ever fussed. But Epcot always brought out the worst in her. Since she's been about 5+ it's not been an issue. She loves Soarin', Test Track, etc... She loves the character M&G's (as she did before). Generally, Epcot is a fun place for her... now. On our last trip we hopped from MK to Epcot about two hours before Epcot was due to close and we had a blast. So Epcot on our next trip in March will be toured in late afternoon/night.

Ultimately, I'd recommend HS or AK over Epcot for a toddler and the above reasons are why. Hope that helps.

*Quick note: I notice you're a new member and it's worth noting many people on this board like to use acronyms when discussing various Disney rides/sites. I'm providing you the names of rides I discuss in parenthesis just in case you needed some decoding. I've been here a while and still have to stop and think about some of these acronyms as I'm reading others' posts. LOL*

I said above that any park other than Epcot would be a good choice because that's the one park that always brought out the devil in my child. So, here's why I think my daughter (now 7) always had a break down at Epcot until she was about 5. This is from the perspective of a (now) 35 year old father.

First, let's consider size/foot travel because the comments below are directly effected by this aspect. In terms of the amount of area you'll cover on foot, Epcot is the largest of any of the parks. Followed by MK, then AK and finally HS. I did a quick Google search because I was curious and sure enough:
http://knowdw.com/theme-parks/walking-distance-disney-world/

Okay, on with some rationale for why I'd recommend avoiding Epcot with toddlers:

1) Heat/Lack of Shade - At Epcot there's a pretty significant lack of shade throughout. Sure, there are shaded areas here and there. But by and large the shade is quite scarce. There are shops and attraction areas to duck in to but as you're walking around World Showcase (WS) there simply is a lot of sun beating down on you. Obviously the time of year you go will dictate how much that heat bothers you. But, like Philadelphia, it's always sunny in Orlando. You're going to be there in the Spring?... yea... it's going to be hot.

Comparatively: AK has a lot of shade throughout but is also naturally warmer. HS doesn't have the foot travel that Epcot or AK do but has little/no shade.

2) Being stuck in a stroller - I don't think this needs a lot of explaining. Epcot involves a lot of walking as I said above. You pair this with #1 above and you can figure how unhappy a toddler will get after an hour. Even with a cover. We bought a battery operated fan/mister that clipped on to the stroller's shield portion to help keep our daughter cool and I'm sure it helped but I can't gauge just how much because (typically) by our half-way point around WS, the meltdown had ensued. Being wheeled around WS wasn't her cup of tea.

3) Ride Selection to break up travel "around the World" - There simply aren't many places to make pit-stops along your tour of the WS. At least not with the toddler in mind. There's just not much for a toddler to do other than Frozen Ever After (FEA). (And yes, I am aware of all the other ride options such as Spaceship Earth, Turtle Talk, etc but am speaking from our POV; and FEA wasn't open until a couple years ago.) Certainly there are toddler-friendly rides but I view Epcot more as an "adult" park. I'm sure many would agree and I know there are some who would disagree. There are Meet & Greets (M&G) with characters spread throughout WS which may help. But it wasn't enough for us. So when you pair that with #2 above it's a recipe for disaster. But that's my POV. I'm sure others have children that didn't mind it and are perfectly happy to tell us about it.

Comparatively: AK has a "quest" of sorts, called Wilderness Explorers (here's a link), where they can obtain a map and go on a knowledge-based expedition to get a number of "badges" (stickers, IIRC). My daughter enjoyed that. There's also the Safari and a couple shows and there's the Triceratops Spin (dumbo substitute). HS doesn't have the foot travel that Epcot or AK do but has little/no shade. There's Toy Story Midway Mania (TSMM) that nearly every toddler enjoys (even if they're not good at it). There's Ariel's ride (forgetting the name) and Disney Jr. Playhouse show and obviously various M&Gs. That's really about it for toddlers, though. However, the good thing about HS is that if you were to tour the park you won't find yourself stuck a loooooong walk away from the exit like you might if you were at the apex of WS in Epcot.​

I realize everyone is different; especially every child. But that was our experience through the more trying years (2-5 yo). Overall my daughter was a great toddler and rarely ever fussed. But Epcot always brought out the worst in her. Since she's been about 5+ it's not been an issue. She loves Soarin', Test Track, etc... She loves the character M&G's (as she did before). Generally, Epcot is a fun place for her... now. On our last trip we hopped from MK to Epcot about two hours before Epcot was due to close and we had a blast. So Epcot on our next trip in March will be toured in late afternoon/night.

Ultimately, I'd recommend HS or AK over Epcot for a toddler and the above reasons are why. Hope that helps.

This is FANTASTIC info! Thanks so much! I think we're leaning AK, as my 4 year old son is on a dinosaur marathon. Thanks again!

If not MK, then do AK.

The animals, the relaxing, the quiet spots if needed, the shows, the animal trails all over, character meets, Explorers Badge, the safari, a few rides for them, dino playground .... beautiful park.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter