Best on-site resort with kids ages 12,16

cindy sanford

Earning My Ears
This will be our 1st WDW trip in April. I am still undecided on accomodations! Help! We are a family of 4 with a 12 and 16 year old in tow. We will not have a car. Suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Cindy and Welcome to the Dis!
Our family stayed YC concierge for our Sept visit. My 2 oldest boys we 12 and 15 at the time. They really liked it. We were very close to MGM and Epcot. They really loved the SAB pool and weent down there everynight. Actually they even loved the quiet pool too. There is Beaches & Cream if you want to get a later burger around 9 or 10, they also have wonderful ice cream there. The Boardwalk is a quick walk around the lake with many things to do there also.

We also like the Boardwalk area. Not sure if your kids are boys or girls but if they like sports they might like ESPN cafe. We like being able to walk to MGM and Epcot. If budget is a factor, the Swan and Dolphin hotels are in the BW area but are probably less $$ than BW or Y&BC. If you're on an even tighter budget the All Stars still have fun theme decor and you get the perks of staying on-site. Good Luck.

P.S. Welcome to the DIS - this site has been so helpful to us!

I'll have to agree with the others. For your kids ages, BC and YC are excellent choices. The location is most convenient. You also have an abundance of choices for eating. Beach Club's pool is alot of fun!

How about a resort near Downtown Disney - like Port Orleans? I have little ones, and we like Port Orleans French Quarter because of the slide. I also like staying near Downtown Disney because I like to be close for a late night visit - Rainforest Cafe, Disney Quest, etc. Downtown Disney is pretty active at night, and your kids make like all the excitement.

What are you going to use your room for? Do you foresee yourselves staying at the resort some or do you think you will be "sleeping and showering"? If you want to enjoy your resort, then any of the moderates or deluxe resorts will probably meet your names. If you are going to "sleep and shower" in your room then the AS's will probably do.

Also, how "Disney" are your kids? When I was a teen I *loved* all things Disney. Went to see the movies by myself because no one else in my family wanted to see "cartoons" So I would have LOVED staying at the ASMo (or Mu for that matter) (had they had them when I was a kid) My brother OTOH wasn't (and still isn't) a big "Disney fan" so he would have prefered to have stayed somewhere like CBR, Coronado, YC, etc. Somewhere that was "less Disney character"

To get an idea, show your kids pics of the resorts that can be found at WDWIG and see what they like (and what fits into your budget)

:earsgirl:

If you think you'll use the pool a lot, then Beach Club (or YC) would definately be a good choice. Stormalong Bay (the BC and YC pool area) is fantastic. Other plusses were already mentioned, but I'll add my endorsement: it's great to have the easy access to Epcot and MGM and the Boardwalk. And your kids will probably enjoy Beaches and Cream.

We've stayed at several different on-site resorts, and enjoyed them for different reasons. I would recommend reading the info on all the resorts and then seeing which ones appeal to your family.

We may need a little more info. You don't say what your budget is or whether you will be spending all your time in the parks or hoping to spend time relaxing at the pool also.

Obviously if you are on a strict budget then do an All Star. If you want to be close to the parks & transportation then I would say a Boardwalk resort or an MK resort. The YC & BC have a great pool - a mini water park in itself.

If you are budget conscious but want to "splurge a little" than I would say do a moderate. The moderates have some great themed pools & would most likely be comfortable enough for your family.

Without a vehicle & if you plan on spending a lot of time in the parks I would again suggest an EPCOT or MK resort.

There are many factors involved in choosing. Good luck planning. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you stay. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter