Best Mall Near Disneyland

Yeah, that's the recent one. There has been an uptick in robberies and parking lot muggings at malls in the area recently. I watch the local news and hear about stuff happening at Main Place Mall and Block at Orange a lot, although there was a recent mugging at South Coast Plaza in the Macy's parking lot, and a recent jewelry store armed robbery at Shops at Mission Viejo too.
You know this kind of scares me. We've stayed at Double tree in Orange which is across the street from the Orange outlet and we walk from the hotel to eat at El Torrito and was considering staying again. I actually had two hotels booked this one and HoJo. My DD21 would prefer the shuttle after the long day of walking but I feel a lot safer being on Harbor with a lot more tourists around instead of walking by ourselves.

You know this kind of scares me. We've stayed at Double tree in Orange which is across the street from the Orange outlet and we walk from the hotel to eat at El Torrito and was considering staying again. I actually had two hotels booked this one and HoJo. My DD21 would prefer the shuttle after the long day of walking but I feel a lot safer being on Harbor with a lot more tourists around instead of walking by ourselves.

I would agree with you. I'd stay at Hojo.

I live local and like the Irvine Spectrum. It's like the Block but more family friendly with a big ferris wheel (outdoor mall). The Brea Mall is a nice and big indoor mall. The South Coast Plaza is ok, but it is very pricey as many of the stores are very high end. It is fun to walk around though and they have a small carousel and sell balloons. When I was a kid I sure liked that.

The Main Place has fallen on bad times and many stores are empty. I try not to go there if I can avoid it. The Block is ok, but be sure to park near the entrances and in well-lit areas. Teens do hang out and smoke there, but I have only seen one bad incident here (dropped his stash in a truck bed and ran from police). I try not to go here unless I really need to. I live closest to the Block and Main place and go to them the least.

Do not even attempt the Village in Orange. Blech!!

There has recently been some criminal activity at Block at Orange. I would not recommend it for families right now, and it's more of an outlet mall than anything else.

Garden Walk...can that even be called a mall? I mean, let's be real. I assume the OP wants to actually go somewhere that has stores that are open...;)

It’s not recent... it’s since like 1998. We were never allowed to go there, there have been stabbings and gang activity and various nefariousness for many years. At night mostly but still.
South Coast Plaza is beautiful and huge with carousels and tons of dining options inside and around it. My girls love going there! Fashion Island is nice too. They sometimes have a kid’s train, there is a koi fish pond and also great dining options. Smaller but a nice outdoor afternoon trip right by the beach! Irvine Specturm would be my other pick. None of them are closeby.

It’s not recent... it’s since like 1998. We were never allowed to go there, there have been stabbings and gang activity and various nefariousness for many years. At night mostly but still.
South Coast Plaza is beautiful and huge with carousels and tons of dining options inside and around it. My girls love going there! Fashion Island is nice too. They sometimes have a kid’s train, there is a koi fish pond and also great dining options. Smaller but a nice outdoor afternoon trip right by the beach! Irvine Specturm would be my other pick. None of them are closeby.

I'd definitely say both SCP and Spectrum are close. I live one exit away from Spectum and DLR is only 15 min away. Spectrum is less than 5 minutes further south. SCP is also about 20 min away. That's not "far" IMO.

I'd definitely say both SCP and Spectrum are close. I live one exit away from Spectum and DLR is only 15 min away. Spectrum is less than 5 minutes further south. SCP is also about 20 min away. That's not "far" IMO.

Well OP was asking about walking distance. That’s a really long walk lol
I’m local and wouldn’t consider either of them far with a car and knowledge of traffic patterns.

Well OP was asking about walking distance. That’s a really long walk lol
I’m local and wouldn’t consider either of them far with a car and knowledge of traffic patterns.

LOL. Yeah, not a close walk, that's for sure!

There is a shuttle (free, I think) that goes to South Coast Plaza from several of the DLR area hotels (I think DLH is one).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter