Best Magic Kindgom Deluxe Resort

What's Your Favorite Magic Kingdom Deluxe Resort?

• Contemporary

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Grand Floridian

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Polynesian

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Wilderness Lodge

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters

Alyssa Leach

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone!

We're planning our fourth trip to Disney in 5 years and we've always stayed at Moderates or off property. We like the benefit of the monorail resorts but love the feel of Wilderness Lodge. I'm looking to see what people with experience would recommend as well as Pros/Cons.

Thanks so much!

Hi Everyone!

We're planning our fourth trip to Disney in 5 years and we've always stayed at Moderates or off property. We like the benefit of the monorail resorts but love the feel of Wilderness Lodge. I'm looking to see what people with experience would recommend as well as Pros/Cons.

Thanks so much!

We've stayed at the GF, Poly, & WL and although the Poly is our favorite, I also love the WL & GF. I love the Poly for the tropical atmosphere, the pool, and the beach for watching the fireworks (just to name a few), but the GF and WL are also great. Both have nice pools and beautiful atmospheres, as well as great dining options (as does the Poly). With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as they are all beautiful resorts, IMO :).

The Poly is my favorite for atmosphere & being able to watch the fireworks from the beach. We've stayed at Bay Lake Tower the most though because you really can't beat being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom. Not having to wait for anything after the fireworks is great.

We own DVC at BLT and bought in specifically for that resort. We adore the Contemporary and all it has to offer. It's our favorite resort in all the World. Location can't be beat and we think the views of MK from here are the best of all the MK area resorts (watching fireworks from here is the BEST)!. Great restaurants, great marina, great shopping, monorail access to all the other resorts and Epcot.

The Poly is my favorite for atmosphere & being able to watch the fireworks from the beach. We've stayed at Bay Lake Tower the most though because you really can't beat being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom. Not having to wait for anything after the fireworks is great.
This is HUGE! Being able to walk to your resort across the street and not have to wait in line for the monorail etc is lovely! :)

We own DVC at BLT and bought in specifically for that resort. We adore the Contemporary and all it has to offer. It's our favorite resort in all the World. Location can't be beat and we think the views of MK from here are the best of all the MK area resorts (watching fireworks from here is the BEST)!. Great restaurants, great marina, great shopping, monorail access to all the other resorts and Epcot.
I totally agree with you! :teeth:

We have stayed at all of them except WL. When we first started going they were the only on site resorts, back then Shades of Green wasn't military so we stayed there too. I voted for GF just because I like it. I think it really depends on your family make up and style of touring. It's all subjective. My thoughts:

As I said when we first started going if you wanted to stay on site, they were the only game in town so we stayed there. We have since moved over to the Epcot resorts because for us, MK is a half day park. My son is grown now but even when he was a toddler, we preferred Epcot to MK.

We have stayed at Poly more than the others, simply because it was less expensive back then. It has a very family feeling to it, it tends to be louder than the others and the decorations are a little more out there. We did enjoy it when we stayed but my son was small and it appealed to him.

We only stayed at CR once, it was concierge level but only because we got a free upgrade. We only stayed there because at the time I booked it was all that was available. It's my least favorite, it feels to contemporary and business/conference to me.

We stayed at Shades of Green two times, again at the time it was the cheapest place to stay. It was o.k. but I wasn't thrilled with having to take a bus.

We stayed at GF two times but we visit it every trip (we have been going for over 30 years). I love the look and feel of it and it's a little quieter.

WL just wasn't on our radar at the time and since we don't stay at MK resorts any more, isn't now. I would certainly think about staying there for a night or two at the beginning of a split stay but the fact that the only easy park to get to is MK via boat and the others you have to ride the bus rules it out for us.

I voted for the Poly, but that's because IMHO the transportation there can't be beat (one quick monorail ride to MK; a short walk and monorail ride to EP, thus avoiding waiting in line twice for the monorail at CR and GF). I actually prefer the decor/theming of the GF, especially at Christmastime. And yet, one trip we stayed in BLT in a 1 BR villa and it was AWESOME...loved having the 2nd bathroom and being able to walk to MK, and I was pleasantly surprised that I actually really liked the decor too! We'll be staying at the WL for the first time this December (the boat transportation has always made me a little nervous because we had a really long wait for it once when we went there to check out the Christmas decorations), so I can't speak to what it's like to stay there, but we've been for a tour and the resort itself is beautiful.

All that to say...our favorite deluxe has changed according to our needs/interests over the years. When our D was little, it just made sense to stay at the Poly due to the ease of transportation (we spent less time at AK and HS back then). I think if my H and I were going alone during a less crowded time of year, we might choose the GF because I just think it's so gorgeous. But since my D is now a teenager, we really like to have private spaces and that extra bathroom, so BLT looks great to us again. And for our December trip we're trying the WL lodge because we want to stay CL in a room with a separated sleeping area for our D, and it's the only hotel that has availability for that on our dates. So I guess this all was a really long winded way of saying...I think they're all wonderful, but it really depends on your party size, time of year, age of party members, etc.

And...now that our D is 16 and prefers HS & EP, our favorite places to stay are actually the Epcot resorts, so for our December trip we're splitting our stay between the WL (for MK and AK days) and the BC (for HS & EP days). We LOVE that you can walk to 2 parks from the Epcot resorts, and that their proximity to Epcot allows us to eat there whenever we feel like it. :)

Have fun choosing!

For me, it would really depend on the make-up of your travel party and what your touring plans are. I could pick any of them depending on who I'm traveling with and what we want to accomplish during our trip.

Wilderness Lodge was perfect on our recent stay. Drinks on the water at Geyser Point, the stream/waterfall leading from the lobby to the pool area, the actual geyser, and the gorgeous walk to the boat dock. Good food, amazing lobby, quiet and calming atmosphere. Not sure how it will be topped for us.

I like the Contemporary the best when it's just my husband and I. The kids (teens) aren't crazy about the pool there. The kids like the Poly the best, but I'm not a fan. We probably stay at the Grand Floridian the most. Everyone seems to like it there. It's a happy medium for us all.

Stayed at them all. Poly and WL before we were DVC. BLT and VGF since then.

My thoughts:

GF: Disney magic. The princess promenade with Cinderella in the lobby, the mousekeeping parasol parade, the whole deal. I think it’s my favorite monorail resort.

Poly: So classic. Love the theming and feel. Monorail or boat to MK and we choose the walk to the TTC for Epcot over 2 monorail rides.

Contemporary: Being able to walk back from MK is HUGE. I am not fond of the feel of the Contemporary but that walkway to/from MK is a huge perk.

WL: Nice, but we like to be closer to MK. Just felt off the grid and we like to be in the action and on the monorail.

Ive stayed at all of them.

Polynesian and Grand Floridian are the best. The Polynesian would be my first choice as a first timer because it feels magical and special. Like staying in Adventureland. tiki torches at night, beach, Hawaiian music, straight on view of cinderella castle, its sooo relaxing and special The Grand Floridian for return trips because its beautiful , bright, rooms are nicest, grounds, everything is really nice and top of the line, luxurious.
wilderness lodge is in 3rd place, beautiful grounds and very special but it has the smallest rooms, darker, and missing the monorail but has a beautiful boat ride.
contemporary I wouldn't stay at again, the theming is non existent, the rooms are nice. Hotel doesn't make you feel special.

never stayed at any of them as we always stay epcot resorts but really cant see the fuss about gf. for upcoming trip almost stayed at the contemporary but the lack of theming put me off.

i personally would pick the poly for ease of transport to epcot and mk, restaurants and great theming.

would love to stay at wl but not until the kids are older as transport that little bit more difficult

I'm torn between The CR and The Poly. I love them both (and own DVC at both) for different reasons.

The CR was the first deluxe I ever stayed in and we love the MK view from there, as well as being able to walk to the MK and the grand concourse has everything we need under one roof.

The Poly is like being in a tropical paradise, plus it has Trader Sam's, which is a favorite of ours, and the pool is amazing.

You honestly cannot go wrong with either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter