Best Lens for nighttime/firework photography

Jramos0413

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone, setting up a trip to go to MNSSHP and was wondering what lens everyone uses for the parades and the firework show? I currently have the 50mm f1.8 which I have used on rides, the 24mm, and the sigma 18-250. Not sure which one is best or if I should invest in the 30mm f1.4. Your advice is greatly appreciated!! :)

Pretty much any lens with the right focal length will work for fireworks. You generally want to shoot around f/11 give or take anyway. The key here is to have it stabilized (like on a tripod) and set a long exposure.

For night parades you need something with a wide aperture. The 50mm f/1.8 will be great for that, but it's not my favorite focal length, especially if you are using a crop sensor.

The 30mm f/1.4 is awesome for night parades! What's the aperture on your 24mm?

The 18-250 can do the fireworks as long as it's on a tripod. But definitely not a night parade.

Pretty much any lens with the right focal length will work for fireworks. You generally want to shoot around f/11 give or take anyway. The key here is to have it stabilized (like on a tripod) and set a long exposure.

For night parades you need something with a wide aperture. The 50mm f/1.8 will be great for that, but it's not my favorite focal length, especially if you are using a crop sensor.

The 30mm f/1.4 is awesome for night parades! What's the aperture on your 24mm?

The 18-250 can do the fireworks as long as it's on a tripod. But definitely not a night parade.

Thanks for your reply the aperture on the 24mm is f2.8. I used the 50mm f1.8 last time we were there and I wasn't too happy with the focal length either, but I wasn't in the best spot anyways.

I used an 85mm f/1.8 lens for the Boo-To-You parade last week but I was using a full frame body. My settings were 1/160s, f/2.0, Auto ISO to 10,000.
DSC_1082-L.jpg

DSC_1789-L.jpg

In your case I would say try the 50mm and shoot at 1.8 or 2.0.
For fireworks, the 24mm should be fine depending on your location.
What body are you using?

Thanks for your reply the aperture on the 24mm is f2.8. I used the 50mm f1.8 last time we were there and I wasn't too happy with the focal length either, but I wasn't in the best spot anyways.

24mm or 30mm for fireworks, but do search for 'fireworks photo" depends on settings and using a tripod and remote shutter. How close you are to the parade determines focal length, I use a 22mm for parades
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

For fireworks --- Your answer is: A tripod.
You can shoot great fireworks images with ANY lens. Other than focal length affecting perspective and what you fit into the frame, the lens is pretty irrelevant. But a tripod is the key.

For night parades --- the faster the lens (wider aperture) the better.

For fireworks --- Your answer is: A tripod.
You can shoot great fireworks images with ANY lens. Other than focal length affecting perspective and what you fit into the frame, the lens is pretty irrelevant. But a tripod is the key.

For night parades --- the faster the lens (wider aperture) the better.

Definitely want to use a tripod, but had people around me last time that were not too happy about it taking up space. Just have to find a better space and set up earlier.

I used an 85mm f/1.8 lens for the Boo-To-You parade last week but I was using a full frame body. My settings were 1/160s, f/2.0, Auto ISO to 10,000.
DSC_1082-L.jpg

DSC_1789-L.jpg

What body are you using?

I am using a Canon Rebel T6

+1 for the Tripod answer. Fireworks are actually bright, and if you want to capture the trails, etc, you need to slow down your shutter and stop down your lens. Experimentation leads to best results. Also second the recommendation for searching How to shoot fireworks. Try to find a location where you won't bother the crowds too much.

DSC_1082-L.jpg

DSC_1789-L.jpg

What body are you using?

I totally agree in regards to shooting the 50mm...by the way Allen...great shots as usual.

Quick question...I am headed back to WDW next week...where exactly were you located when taking pictures for this parade? Secondly...how far in advance did you have to stake out your spot?? Thanks!

I totally agree in regards to shooting the 50mm...by the way Allen...great shots as usual.

Quick question...I am headed back to WDW next week...where exactly were you located when taking pictures for this parade? Secondly...how far in advance did you have to stake out your spot?? Thanks!

Thanks! I was at the south end of Main Street near the flagpole, looking north toward the castle. The crowd level was not that bad (October 6th) so I was able to stake out my spot 30 minutes before the parade. Crowds may be heavier the closer you are to Halloween.
See map below (Yellow circle):

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-27%20at%207.30.57%20AM%20copy-XL.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!