Best Ideas for High Crowds

ErickaJean

Earning My Ears
This has certainly been asked before, but I did not find it and hope you can pop in with some tips! I will be visiting with my adult daughter and her adult friend for 5 days Thanksgiving week and of course most of that is at a crowd level 10. We understand this and would just like to know what your best tips are for days when the crowds make it difficult to move and ride anything. Does anyone still have luck getting that extra FP with refresh on those days, or should I just ride what we have and "let it go"? We are staying onsite and taking advantage of the EMH each day, but we also can park hop if it gets too crazy.

Rope drop is your best strategy during crowded times. Get there about 40 minutes to an hour before opening and try to get your “must dos” done before it gets too crowded. Even on crowded days you can still get extra FP, though maybe not headliners. A few rides have single rider lines, significantly reducing wait times, but you’ll ride seperately. Eat at off times, and maybe take a break during the most crowded part of the day. You can always hop on rides during the parade or fireworks too, if you don’t mind missing them. Otherwise just do the best you can to make sure your must dos get done, and don’t stress too much about the rest. I always arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving, not sure when your dates are but the crowds start dying down the Sunday after thanksgiving.

1. Get there early.
2. Get there early.
3. Use RideMax. We used it every time we went at Thanksgiving, and never waited more than 15-20 minutes for rides.
4. If it's warm enough, leave MK in the afternoon for Typhoon Lagoon, returning to MK in the evening.

This has certainly been asked before, but I did not find it and hope you can pop in with some tips! I will be visiting with my adult daughter and her adult friend for 5 days Thanksgiving week and of course most of that is at a crowd level 10. We understand this and would just like to know what your best tips are for days when the crowds make it difficult to move and ride anything. Does anyone still have luck getting that extra FP with refresh on those days, or should I just ride what we have and "let it go"? We are staying onsite and taking advantage of the EMH each day, but we also can park hop if it gets too crazy.

First advice, ditch those crowd calendar things. They're as useful as a screen door on a submarine...and they're intentionally misleading. Don't bother.

Yeah, Thanksgiving week is busy. Thur-Sun are the busiest. No, you don't need to get there early if you don't want to. You certainly can, but it's not necessary at all. Refresh will work fine, we've gotten plenty of headliners on both Thanksgiving and Christmas-NYE (which is the busiest week). And yes, to some degree just understand that it's going to be crowded and set expectations accordingly. Go with the flow, enjoy the atmosphere and have a great time.

It's a software package I've used for years. You tell it which rides you want, plug in FastPasses you have, and you get a detailed plan that shows you the walk times and wait times, based on the time of day. You can set it for slow walking speed or normal walking speed.

It easily saves me 2 hours a day. That translates into 2 hours that I'm riding rides instead of waiting in long lines. It's always been spot-on. One time it recommended doing Test Track first thing. 5 minute wait. After we rode, we came out and wait time was now 50 minutes.

You can also put in your restaurant reservations and it will optimize waiting (and walking) around those times. It also has a "which day, which park" calendar.

$20, and it's good for a year. Pennies compared to what I spend on a Disney vacation. $4 a day is worth it to me.

Rope drop is your best strategy during crowded times. Get there about 40 minutes to an hour before opening and try to get your “must dos” done before it gets too crowded. Even on crowded days you can still get extra FP, though maybe not headliners. A few rides have single rider lines, significantly reducing wait times, but you’ll ride seperately. Eat at off times, and maybe take a break during the most crowded part of the day. You can always hop on rides during the parade or fireworks too, if you don’t mind missing them. Otherwise just do the best you can to make sure your must dos get done, and don’t stress too much about the rest. I always arrive the Saturday after Thanksgiving, not sure when your dates are but the crowds start dying down the Sunday after thanksgiving.

This makes me feel better. We may definitely try some single rider and do not plan to stress out. We will be there the Tuesday before until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Rides during parades and fireworks may work as well! Thank you.

1. Get there early.
2. Get there early.
3. Use RideMax. We used it every time we went at Thanksgiving, and never waited more than 15-20 minutes for rides.
4. If it's warm enough, leave MK in the afternoon for Typhoon Lagoon, returning to MK in the evening.

I love this! RideMax is new to me, but I will absolutely check that out. I am hoping for warm enough to swim a bit in the afternoon for sure!

First advice, ditch those crowd calendar things. They're as useful as a screen door on a submarine...and they're intentionally misleading. Don't bother.

So tempting after the results I received that made little sense and I adore your analogy! :) Go with the Flow is what we have agreed on as a motto. Thank you!

Yeah, Thanksgiving week is busy. Thur-Sun are the busiest. No, you don't need to get there early if you don't want to. You certainly can, but it's not necessary at all. Refresh will work fine, we've gotten plenty of headliners on both Thanksgiving and Christmas-NYE (which is the busiest week). And yes, to some degree just understand that it's going to be crowded and set expectations accordingly. Go with the flow, enjoy the atmosphere and have a great time.

I've been Thanksgiving week before (going again this year) and NYE and actually had an easier time with refresh because of the long days. When we went to Epcot one NYE, I got all the headliners using refresh for my party of 4.

I'm a little nervous about SWGE this year, though, since there is no FP for that. We have teenagers that aren't early risers, so a 7am rope drop probably won't happen.

I've been Thanksgiving week before (going again this year) and NYE and actually had an easier time with refresh because of the long days. When we went to Epcot one NYE, I got all the headliners using refresh for my party of 4.

I'm a little nervous about SWGE this year, though, since there is no FP for that. We have teenagers that aren't early risers, so a 7am rope drop probably won't happen.

Yes, a popular attraction without FP+ would be a challenge for us too. We're not rope drop people either. Haven't been since SWGE opened, so hoping FP+ will exist for it by time we get back (next summer....fingers crossed).

When it comes to getting onto the ride that everyone wants to get on and has a high wait time no matter what I typically do not go during rope drop. It seems like a fight to the death and most people who might have been waiting forever end up being in a way back once they get to the queue.

What I do instead is wait until it's time for the main show of the park, or fireworks and that is the time that I slip onto the ride. As long as you get on prior to closing you will be not kicked out of the queue and will be allowed to ride. For one example, when doing this for AK, I've managed to get on FOP two separate occasions with a 45 minute wait and a wait of little over an hour. When it comes to other attractions typically the wait time is drastically lower as they typically do not have wait times compared to FOP. Also, other rides that have typical, or average, will be very low, or almost nothing. It's definitely a good time to take advantage of the rides.

Also, for MK, typically after the fireworks show a lot of the guests leave the park from what I noticed, so if MK is open for a few more hours after the fireworks (bonus if it's EMH on top of that). It might be best to get to the park around the fireworks show, or a little after it's over once most of the congestion has gone out.

That being said rope drop is a good time to show up to the parks. However, it's not a good time to hop onto the ride that everyone wants to get on. You should definitely hop onto other rides you want to go on. Also, if there is a particular area where a lot of rides you want to get on might want to focus on that area first thing so you can get a lot at once.

When it comes to getting onto the ride that everyone wants to get on and has a high wait time no matter what I typically do not go during rope drop. It seems like a fight to the death and most people who might have been waiting forever end up being in a way back once they get to the queue.

What I do instead is wait until it's time for the main show of the park, or fireworks and that is the time that I slip onto the ride. As long as you get on prior to closing you will be not kicked out of the queue and will be allowed to ride. For one example, when doing this for AK, I've managed to get on FOP two separate occasions with a 45 minute wait and a wait of little over an hour. When it comes to other attractions typically the wait time is drastically lower as they typically do not have wait times compared to FOP. Also, other rides that have typical, or average, will be very low, or almost nothing. It's definitely a good time to take advantage of the rides.

Also, for MK, typically after the fireworks show a lot of the guests leave the park from what I noticed, so if MK is open for a few more hours after the fireworks (bonus if it's EMH on top of that). It might be best to get to the park around the fireworks show, or a little after it's over once most of the congestion has gone out.

That being said rope drop is a good time to show up to the parks. However, it's not a good time to hop onto the ride that everyone wants to get on. You should definitely hop onto other rides you want to go on. Also, if there is a particular area where a lot of rides you want to get on might want to focus on that area first thing so you can get a lot at once.

These are great tips. Because I have FP for FOP and SDD, I am happy to just hit some of the other rides that I like that aren't big headliners at rope drop or during fireworks and parades (which is a great plan).

I just find that when it's so crowded even the wait times for rides like Pirates or Tower of Terror seem overwhelming.

I'm also traveling with two in their 20's and can't truly determine if they will be early risers or not. They plan to be, but knowing my daughter, she will crash at some point and there will be no more rope drops. LOL ~ Thanks for the help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter