Best gifts $20 and under adult age?

Southernmiss

I am hazed everyday
Our family is playing dirty Santa for the first time this year.

Myself, dh, my 2 brothers, their wives, my sister and her husband, 5 guys 18 to 23 years old (my 3 sons and 2 nephews) and 2 24 year olds young ladies (my niece and daughter in law) are each bringing a $20 wrapped gift to the game. That can be sought after and stolen

We are not big drinkers, so not alcohol. Younger kids and our mom will be present, so not risque.

Any ideas of fun/useful or practical ideas that you've given, received or love that I might consider ?

Last edited:
A board game that your guest can open and play right away together.

Portable charger, decent water bottle, travel fund bank with the book "1000 Places to See Before You Die"

I saw this on a different site that was looking for the same type of gift ideas. I think it's different and I would probably try it!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Q8X6IO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I like these ideas and the grilled cheese maker on the same Amazon site.

Game ideas? One son has Cards Against Humanity and We have Exploding Kittens. Others like those?

Keep them coming.

• Car kit: An ice scraper with a cozy/furry mitt and air fresheners, maybe a car wash gift card/certificate
  • Relaxation kit: Bath bombs (the best are from Lush!), foot soak, foot lotion, head massager, bubble bath, cozy socks, etc. I guess this one appeals more to women, but you could potentially appeal to both genders depending on the products chosen.
  • Nice candles from Bath and Body Works or Yankee Candle. Woodwick candles are also pretty great. I know most men probably wouldn't be super excited about this, but you could get candles that appeal to both genders. Mahogany Teakwood comes to mind from Bath and Body Works, as well as anything that smells like a Christmas tree.
  • Gift card to a movie theater with some boxed movie candy is fun since it really can be expensive to go to a movie now!
  • Fancy chocolate truffles or caramels from a local shop or from Godiva, Ghirardelli, See's Candies, etc.
  • Local goodies that would make someone think of home. This would be a good one if you have relatives that have moved far away that are visiting for the holidays. For me here in Southeastern WI: fresh cheese curds, Sprecher's Root Beer, kringle from a local bakery, apple pie from a local bakery, Colectivo Coffee, maybe some Italian goodies from a local deli
  • Gift Cards that appeal to lots of people and could be used anywhere in the US: Target, McDonald's, Starbucks (someone said this earlier), Amazon, etc. We do a gift card exchange in my huge family every year, and Amazon is by far the most popular one that people fight over.

Those are probably what I would pick.

Game ideas? One son has Cards Against Humanity and We have Exploding Kittens. Others like those?

Keep them coming.
Some game ideas: Gloom, Kittens in a Blender, The Resistance, Tem-Purr-A, Munchkin

Other thoughts:
A nice throw blanket (can get one that's themed toward interests, like a sports team or TV show, or just soft + a nice color)
Fancy chocolates
A gift set of nice coffee or tea
Seconding the gift card idea for Starbucks/iTunes/Amazon/Panera/etc.

I personally would say that Cards Against Humanity can be pretty risque! I would not want to explain that game and give examples to any group of kids. Some of the cards are really sexual or all around just "naughty." (For example, someone once had "What's that smell?" and someone answered with the "Auschwitz" card. Yes, horrible, I know, but that's the nature of the game.) My sister, who is a total prude and always holier-than-thou, just can't play at all - just not her humor. Unfortunately it has trickled down to high schoolers (I've heard students talk about it). I don't know if you realized that that is what the game is like... if not, just a heads-up! :-)

I personally would say that Cards Against Humanity can be pretty risque! I would not want to explain that game and give examples to any group of kids. Some of the cards are really sexual or all around just "naughty." (For example, someone once had "What's that smell?" and someone answered with the "Auschwitz" card. Yes, horrible, I know, but that's the nature of the game.) My sister, who is a total prude and always holier-than-thou, just can't play at all - just not her humor. Unfortunately it has trickled down to high schoolers (I've heard students talk about it). I don't know if you realized that that is what the game is like... if not, just a heads-up! :-)
I think it’s fine for teens, my kids played it a lot together last Christmas break (ages 13 - 20). I don’t play with them, prefer playing it with my girlfriend, it’s hysterical (and we make it raunchier than it should be).

Yes. I realize cards against humanity is risque. I stated that as a for instance of what that age has played. One of my college kids has it.

If there were a cleaner version, it would be great fun for our family group to play together.

Last edited:
  • Car kit: An ice scraper with a cozy/furry mitt and air fresheners, maybe a car wash gift card/certificate
  • Relaxation kit: Bath bombs (the best are from Lush!), foot soak, foot lotion, head massager, bubble bath, cozy socks, etc. I guess this one appeals more to women, but you could potentially appeal to both genders depending on the products chosen.
  • Nice candles from Bath and Body Works or Yankee Candle. Woodwick candles are also pretty great. I know most men probably wouldn't be super excited about this, but you could get candles that appeal to both genders. Mahogany Teakwood comes to mind from Bath and Body Works, as well as anything that smells like a Christmas tree.
  • Gift card to a movie theater with some boxed movie candy is fun since it really can be expensive to go to a movie now!
  • Fancy chocolate truffles or caramels from a local shop or from Godiva, Ghirardelli, See's Candies, etc.
  • Local goodies that would make someone think of home. This would be a good one if you have relatives that have moved far away that are visiting for the holidays. For me here in Southeastern WI: fresh cheese curds, Sprecher's Root Beer, kringle from a local bakery, apple pie from a local bakery, Colectivo Coffee, maybe some Italian goodies from a local deli
  • Gift Cards that appeal to lots of people and could be used anywhere in the US: Target, McDonald's, Starbucks (someone said this earlier), Amazon, etc. We do a gift card exchange in my huge family every year, and Amazon is by far the most popular one that people fight over.
Those are probably what I would pick.

A few of these are the ideas I came up with and have given along the way. Still looking for more ideas. Wanted to see if there were ideas different than my typical gift ideas.

All of us are family from same area. No lottery in our state. Gift cards might be a fall back idea.

I also found a pc magazine list of techie type gifts that were different to consider.

Still mulling ideas, so keep them coming.

Last edited:
I'd pick an Escape Room game - the better ones have just one game in them, but they come in under $20. It's a game you could all play together or you could each play as a family (and probably pass it around), depending on the type you buy. If you guys are gamers, you might really enjoy that type of gift, and if it's a fail, it was under $20 and can be donated after 1st play (since it's single play:))...

One year my mother made me an 'oriental cooking' basket. Jars of sesame oil, hoisin sauce, packages of rice noodles - just things I might not have on hand to try some asian cooking. Along the same lines, you could do a 'grilling basket' - rib rubbing spices, long tongs, some unique bbq sauces. My college age son enjoyed the basket of different steak spice mixes that I got him.

Coffee beans and a small grinder? I saw the original Bullet smoothie machine at wally world last week for $20. My young adults love to make smoothies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter