Best Castaway Cay fishing excursion?

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
Looking to book one. Which is Best- Abaco Backcountry, bottom fishing, troll boat?

Last year, DH caught a mackerel and DS caught a barracuda. This year, DH caught a barracuda, while DS, having to beat his dad, caught two of them. They said it's hard work, but they really enjoyed it. Apparently, last year, one lady was too slow bringing in her catch and when she did finally get it, it was half a fish, with a shark bite out of it.

Last year, DH caught a mackerel and DS caught a barracuda. This year, DH caught a barracuda, while DS, having to beat his dad, caught two of them. They said it's hard work, but they really enjoyed it. Apparently, last year, one lady was too slow bringing in her catch and when she did finally get it, it was half a fish, with a shark bite out of it.

:scared:

I'm sorry that I'm getting to this late, but I have been on three of the four (bottom, back country and troll - did not do fly fishing yet). Bottom is the easiest with the most fish caught - even a shark. Trolling is nice though not as easy. Back country was mostly sight fishing (casting towards fish you see). It was least productive but I enjoyed it because we all around CC as well as over to the small island to the north. Fly fishing is the most technical.

I'm sorry that I'm getting to this late, but I have been on three of the four (bottom, back country and troll - did not do fly fishing yet). Bottom is the easiest with the most fish caught - even a shark. Trolling is nice though not as easy. Back country was mostly sight fishing (casting towards fish you see). It was least productive but I enjoyed it because we all around CC as well as over to the small island to the north. Fly fishing is the most technical.

Thanks for sharing your experience. We have the trolling booked and now I think we’ll stick with that. It sounds perfect. They were looking for something middle of the road because they like to have to work for it a little but still want to be able to catch something.

Thanks for sharing. Due to weather, our fishing excursion was canceled in March. We’re going in December, hopefully we’ll get to go fishing then.

Any update? How did you end up liking the excursion?

Not sure if you were asking me or the other poster, but I’m happy to report our experience. DH and DS did the troll boat excursion. They had a great time. The first half DH said he was a little worried because they hadn’t caught anything, but in the end DH caught a barracuda and DS caught two of them. Guides were great and helpful. We go again in May and this time they are trying the Abaco backcountry just to do something different so we’ll see how that goes.

Thanks! Any comments on the condition of the gear being used? I've heard from several people who have gone on the backcountry and bottom fishing excursions that the gear is not well-maintained which resulted in break-offs and lost fish for them. If this is the case, I think I would be very upset to pay that kind of money and being given sub-par or poorly maintained equipment.... especially considering how DCL bans fishing equipment from being brought onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!