Best Car Rental LAX?

blabbermouth

DIS Veteran
We'll be flying into LAX and need to rent a car as the first half of our vacation will be spent in Pismo Beach. I've never rented a car before so I really don't know what company to go with. There are about a dozen to choose from at LAX.

What's your preference? They all seem to be about the same price. I like that Alamo will price out all of the insurance type options right online whereas a few of the other companies I looked at make you wait until you arrive. But if they suck for other reasons I can pick another company.

Any other car rental advice?

Thanks!!!

I generally go for price. Check the size of car you want and see which of the major companies has the best price. Some of the online reservation systems indicate which companies have counters in the terminal, which have an offsite shuttle to get to the cars, and some even list the distance.

Whichever one you go with, see if they have a frequent renter club, those are free to join and at many companies you can skip the rental counter and go straight to your car.

Also, will you have more than one driver? That can be an expensive add on at some companies so check into that. If I recall, the Emerald Aisle at National let a spouse drive the car for no extra charge.

Also before you go, check on your auto insurance and any insurance offered by your credit cards. The rental companies will definitely try hard to sell you extra insurance, and you want to be sure ahead of time that you don't need it.

I live in L.A.

At LAX, all car rentals are off site. I would go with a major company, as they have frequent shuttles.

I agree with the PP: Go for the price with a major company.

Woody

Also, will you have more than one driver? That can be an expensive add on at some companies so check into that. If I recall, the Emerald Aisle at National let a spouse drive the car for no extra charge.

Also before you go, check on your auto insurance and any insurance offered by your credit cards. The rental companies will definitely try hard to sell you extra insurance, and you want to be sure ahead of time that you don't need it.

I know that Hertz also let's a spouse drive for no extra chage.
And I strongly second the bit about knowing ahead of time what may already be cover by your CC or auto insurance(and bringing proof)
I watched the family ahead of us once get grilled about a small nick on the bumper.It honestly didn't look like any big deal but they had to go in and talk to the manager about it. When our turn came they saw we bought the Collsion/damage insurance and sent us in our way with only a glance at the car.

Thanks everyone!

I figured for $10-15/day extra we might as well just get the basic insurance thingee. I'm too lazy to go through the fine print on my credit card and local car insurance and I'd hate to get hassled or stuck paying for anything!

So far it looks like Budget is the cheapest if you pre-pay, which is fine by me.

Have you ever tried Priceline? You know, the one that Captain Kirk advertises? ;) I have just spent a lot of time pouring over car rental deals (and I rent cars fairly frequently). I have this year's entertainment book and went through each deal in it online. The best deal I could find was SIGNIFICANTLY more than the same cars on Priceline.

For example, the best I could find on my own with coupons and deals was:

Alamo Ford Fusion = $298.18 for five days in August (including weekend)
vs.
Hertz Ford Mustang Convertible = $265.90 for the same five days

I decided to try for the convertible if I could get it for less than the other car -- who wouldn't want a that to drive up the coast on vacation?? And I got it on my second try! :cool1:

Priceline guarantees that they will come back with one from the "big four" car rental places, and you can look at other successful bidders to see what works.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

. . . Hertz Ford Mustang Convertible = $265.90 for the same five days

I decided to try for the convertible if I could get it for less than the other car -- who wouldn't want a that to drive up the coast on vacation?? And I got it on my second try!
I drove down the coast last weekend. The views are awesome.

If you are renting a convertible, I suggest going to a Ford dealership to check out the size of the trunk and see if your bags will fit. The soft top takes up much of the trunk space.

Woody

similiar question, is Fox rent a car as bad as the reviews online say?:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter