Best beaches St Thomas and St Marten

Zipper

Earning My Ears
I'm sailing on the Magic Dec. 1st, what are some nice beaches we can do on our own? I'm looking for beaches that aren't a very long cab ride away, can rent beach chairs , have a food stand, hotel or restaurant nearby and would be good for children(ages 9,8,5) Also water sports, float or boat rentals would be a plus. Any suggestions?

On St. Maarten we went to Dawn's Beach which is a short taxi ride. For $10-15 (can't remember) you get the chair and a drink (rum punch or straight punch, for example) The rentals are right there behind the chairs. There's a restaurant right there too. On St. Thomas we rented our own boat & went to St. Johns so I can't give advice on beaches there. Though many years ago we went to Megan's Bay which was nice.

On the recommendation of our server, we went to Coki Beach in St. Thomas. It was only about a 20 minute taxi ride and our 2 kids loved the beach (they were 9 & 11). We rented snorkeling equipment and they were able to see more fish than you can imagine. I rented a float and enjoyed floating around. We also got an umbrella and 2 lounge chairs. There was food and bathrooms also there, although we only stayed for 2 1/2 hours and didn't use them. Next time we will definitely stay for the day..it is a beautiful small beach with gorgeous blue water and soft white sand!!!

I second the vote for Coki Beach in St Thomas - great beach, safe water and not crowded (and you can rent jetskis across the road!) and has a food stand/bar right there.

On St Maarten, we went to the town beach (don't remember what it's called but you get off the water taxi and turn left and there it is!). It's pretty busy there but there's lots of room and the water's great and there are plenty of food/beverage stands. We got two sun loungers, a sun umbrella and a beverage each for $10 - good value in my book - and there was only a 2 minute walk back to the water taxi to get back to the ship (and they also have jetskis for hire - do you see a pattern here?!)

The only downside to the town beach was the hawkers but although they were numerous, they were NOT persistant - a polite no thank you was all that was required.

how much were the jetskis that you rented at Coki beach?! My DD and her BF ( best friend) are interested!

Glad to hear all of the reccomendations for Coki Beach. We're thinking about going there (and visiting Coral World) on our upcoming cruise.

Speaking of our upcoming cruise...Zipper, I'd check the dates of your sailing. We're sailing on the Magic on Sat., Nov. 30th. The Wonder will sail on Sun., Dec. 1st. I'd hate for you to miss the boat! ;)

I would definately recommend Coral World / Coki Beach. It was awesome. Nice beach, saw tons of fish. Didn't seem crowded at all. Coral World was neat. Our DD 7 is very into fish, sharks, etc... and we all really enjoyed it!

The only thing I would not recommend is getting your hair braided there. JMHO. Ship's braiders did a much better job!
:)

I would definately recommend Coral World / Coki Beach. It was awesome. Nice beach, saw tons of fish. Didn't seem crowded at all. Coral World was neat. Our DD 7 is very into fish, sharks, etc... and we all really enjoyed it!

The only thing I would not recommend is getting your hair braided there. JMHO. Ship's braiders did a much better job!
:)

Here is another vote for Coki Beach/Coral World. Look for disoucnt coupons to coral world--I found some in the "Things to See and Do" Magazine just at the entrance to Coral World. They have lockers for rent, fresh water showers and nice restrooms--they give you a wristband, or something that lets you come and go. DD loved it, and thought the Iguanas that roam around the park were really cool!!

We just got back from the 5/18 Eastern. On St. Martin...we went to Dawn Beach...$7per person each way...tons of cabs as soon as you get off the ship. We had read a lot of recommendations off this board which is why we went there. You can rent snorkel stuff/floats/etc. There is a restaurant with burgers (good) and $1 beer. It is on the Dutch side, so not as much toplessness...we saw 3 topless women. The French side has lots of full nudity. The beach is gorgeous, but the day we were there, it was windy and not good for snorkeling, but the water was great to stay in. You can rent chairs and umbrellas for $10 I think (you pretty much have to do this). There are lot of Locals selling wraps, jewelry, etc...you can really talk their prices down in St. Martin...at the beach and at the downtown shops by the ship...great deals for Tropical night...everyone bought clothes there to wear that night...great shirts for men and dresses/skirts for women.

In St. Thomas...we went to Coki and it is great. Great snorkeling. No jet skiing, etc, because it is on a reef and the water sports would mess things up. $7 per person each way. You rent chairs and unbrellas here too. Several places to eat...people walk around taking drink orders. Fairly small sand area, but plenty big. The snorkeling is great...especially on the Right near the rocks...going toward Coral World.

Take plenty of sunscreen...the sun is sooo much stronger down there. We took SPF 45 and still came home slighlty burned.

If you want your hair braided...I would do it on the ship...the ladies on the beach really bothered me a lot...I didn't have mine braided...didn't want it...but they asked me all day. If I would have been interested...I would have done it on the ship before I got to the islands. Plus, the ships clean there combs and equipment and I've heard the locals on the islands don't do that and there have been problems with lice.

We went there in January. I was somewhat disappointed in the snorkeling there, however, the beach is awesome. Very clean, easy to get to and cheap to rent chairs, and so on. If you are looking for beach time for relaxing, I would say this is one place you could check out.

If you don't mind a few naked people, Orient beach in St. Martin was fantastic. Also, Magens bay was nice in St. Thomas, but I've heard the snorkeling is better at Coki Beach. Have a blast! Sue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter