Best bag for the parks?

PHamrick

Mouseketeer
I know everyone has different philosophies on what to bring and not bring in. But, I'd like some advice on what type of bag you use in the parks and why.

About us: We are a family of four--two kids 6 and 8. I bring my wallet, phone and sunglasses with me to the parks. The kids also have their own (small) wallets because we make them use their own money for souvenirs, toys, etc. I also carry a DSLR with 1-2 extra lenses, depending on how long we will be in the parks, etc. That is the biggest/bulkiest thing I pack. I bring a small battery pack for our phones. Other than that, I don't really carry a lot. I don't bring ponchos, water, emergency kits, etc. I usually end up with a ton of stuff in the bag because everyone hands me their stuff to hold at some point during the day/evening.

Based on that, what sort of bag would you use? We are headed to MNSSHP in less than two months and I am so ready!!

I went to MNSSHP for the first time last year with my girlfriend and we brought no bag whatsoever. We both agreed that we are bringing a medium sized back pack for the candy and the merchandise we will be purchasing this year. I wouldn't bring a big back pack but it will obviously be different for you. I will say that you are provided your own treat bag but it is not too big, you could always go to a store and ask a CM for a large bag. I would say a decently sized back pack, for reference I will be bringing a Jansport Disney bag that is kind of a standard/medium size seen here: http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jan...s/disney-high-stakes-JS0A3BB2?variationId=38D. Maybe a size up from that one would be good for you?

I usually carry a drawstring backpack. It holds the essentials (sweater, wallet, phone) and nothing else. It ends up being really light so I don't mind carrying it around and is small and malleable so it end up fitting on the rides with me.

I am from Texas and I have been to WDW 12 times. I say this because I have been on a quest for the perfect theme park bag. My wife can attest I think I have bought a different bag for each trip. I typically take a point and shoot camera since I want better pics than my phone can take. A couple of years ago I bought a larger camera, not a DSLR, but one that had a large focus. I have to admit if you are the person who will take a DSLR with a couple of different lenses I would advise to get a camera bag and build on that. Adapting that kind of equipment to a regular bag could cause damage because you will get bumped into, get on rides and you will need the padding and different compartments.
I got a sling backpack that will hold my camera and other things you will need for the park and I never worried about my camera getting damaged. There are camera backpacks if you prefer that type of bag.

If you travel to Disney a lot, go to the zoo, hike, or do various outdoor activities you would probably never regret getting your kids a Camelbak hydration bag. I bought my kids (6 and 8) each one this summer for Disney and we've used them several times since then. It's 100% worth it for Disney alone. They could each carry their own water (50 ounces), 3-4 snacks, a rain jacket or poncho, and sunglasses. I carry my own lightweight backpack/day pack. When I bought the kids their CamelBaks I bought a water reservoir that fit my daypack. WONDERFUL.

I decided that once we outgrew the stroller we weren't going to have a place to store all our junk. It was going to fall upon me to carry everyone's individual water bottles and snacks. Now, they are responsible for their own. I thought they would gripe about it or say it was heavy. However, they were so excited to have their own bags and their own water packs. They didn't even complain one time during the week we were there. The biggest problem we had to overcome was over-hydration because they'd keep those straws in their mouths constantly. We were looking for bathrooms every 20 minutes one day. :earboy2:

For reference, I usually carry a few snacks, the 70oz water reservoir, wallet, phone, mini first aid kit, a poncho or thin jacket, cooling towels.

I have several Disney Vera Bradley bags. I have the hipster & the mini hipster in different patterns. They work perfect. I also have bought at the VB outlets the smallest back pack they make too. DH carries the back pack sometimes. I have a black/white pattern so he doesn't mind carrying it lol. Lots of times you can find good bargains on the Disney VB bags at the Disney Store online.

My go-to for Disney is always a cross body in the smallest size I need to carry all the stuff I plan on bringing into the parks. I am also a little bit of a designer purse enthusiast, so one of my other musts for Disney purses is it is never something that I would be sad about possibly ruining due to sweat, or water, or sunblock, etc. My other must, as stated before is cross bodies, because that is the most comfortable and non-intrusive purse type for me. My new "official" Disney park purse is the cross body Dooney and Burke It's a Small World purse, which fits my needs while also advertising my love of Disney in the parks (seriously, I get more compliments on that purse than I ever would if I brought one of my purses that retails at 4 plus times the cost into the parks, because everyone you are around is also a Disney fanatic). This style would be too small for you with a camera, but I think a bigger cross body would be ideal, and wanted to mention that if you are looking for a Disney themed one, there are some great cheaper attraction themed ones on Disney store that would fit your camera and everything else without breaking the bank. There is a Mr. Toads ones that I have been contemplating for nearly a year now. Someday!

On a 5 day trip I can take 6 different bags to the park. My trips are usually in March or October when it can get chilly in the evening. Last year got a mid size back pack from Eddie Bauer that I like, it very light weight has outside pockets for my phone and water bottle. Since have to go through the bag check have gotten in the habit of putting things in zip locks in the back pack except my jacket makes it quicker to get thru bag check. If I know I willl be wearing my jacket all evening and decide to take a smaller bag to the park the zip locks make a quick switch over to a smaller bag.

This trip I used an Under Armour draw string bag, with a clip for the straps at the front. This was used for my hat when on rides, small umbrella, and water bottle.

I barely noticed it was there and was extremely convenient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter