Best and Worst - September Disney Trip

Paula25

Disney Dreamer
We just got back from our 10 day Disney/Universal trip. My boys, now in their late teens, really noticed the difference between Disney and Universal this trip. As they said, Universal is a theme park, but Disney is an experience. I agree wholeheartedly. I do have to say, however, that with the exception of the actual Gringotts ride, Universal has done a great job with the Harry Potter lands. But it was Disney that made our vacation truly magical and filled with great memories.

The Best:

1. Welcome Home. We bought DVC when they were selling Boardwalk in the 1990's, then the recession happened and we sold all our points. About a year ago, we were able to buy in again and this was our first trip "home." The Boardwalk was lovely, the room was great (except for one small thing, which I'll talk about later), and the cast members were friendly and helpful.

2. Boardwalk Bakery. Truly the best surprise of our trip. Fabulous sandwiches, and the price is right! $10 for a sandwich, chips, and a soda. Oh - the cupcakes looked amazing and tasted better. It was a real treat!

3. 7 Dwarves Mine Train. We got to do this ride 3 times, including once at night. It is cute and fun and definitely a new favorite.

4. Diagon Alley and Hogwarts Express. The theming is unbelievably cool. HP fans will be impressed. Great fun to walk around! Hogwarts Express was our favorite part! Lines are manageable and the train is interesting and fun.

The Worst

1. Gringotts Ride. After all the hype, we had some big expectations, but the queue is much better than the ride itself. It kept breaking down, and it's somewhere between Spiderman and Transformers in terms of design. Forbidden Journey was new technology and is a unique experience. Not Gringotts. It felt like someone at Universal got really lazy and just copied rides they already have.

2. Plumbing at Boardwalk. Toilets kept clogging up and in one case, overflowing. Gross. I thought it was our kids doing something to cause it, but then I saw the bathtub back up as well and the toilet clogging up in our bathroom too. There's definitely something systemic going on here.

3. Parking at Downtown Disney. My suggestion is that if you want to go there, take a bus. And if you want to experience DisneyQuest, be prepared for a very long walk because the buses don't go to that end of the complex any more. I hope the construction is over soon.

4. THE VERY WORST. It rained buckets while we were there, which we generally love because it means the parks are less crowded. It does not stop us at all. However, Disney allowed a situation at the Magic Kingdom which I believe was dangerous to their guests. Walking toward the entrance from the monorail, there is a low place in the sidewalk which filled with water about 12-18 inches deep. There was no way to get around it. At the most shallow section, it was still 6 inches deep. Disney employees would not re-route the incoming or outgoing crowd, so everyone was forced to travel through that pool of water. People with strollers and scooters were asking the guy in the yellow rain slicker to please let them in another way (which, by the way, would have been very doable) but the man refused. He told them that if they didn't want to walk through the water, they could get back on the monorail, and return by ferry. This situation happened TWICE at least, because we were there on Tuesday, Sept 23 and walked through water UP TO MY KNEES and on Tuesday, Sept 30 and walked through water that covered my ankles (because we found the shallower side). There is no way a stroller could have passed that way without getting soaked from the bottom up, and trying to get a scooter through it would have been dangerous because the water was dirty and you really couldn't tell how deep it was until you were in it. Most people folded their stroller and carried them across - sometimes requiring multiple trips for stuff and kids. I don't know how the people with scooters managed.
Bad, Bad Disney. Very poor and they could have done something about it. I expected better.

Even with the bad, this was one of our favorite trips. Can't wait to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter