Best airline for CA to HI and back?

StitchesGr8Fan

DIS Veteran
We will fly SW to CA and then are open to taking another airline to HI. Which is the best one that balances experience and value? We want to not be miserable without paying for first class.

We flew Alaska Air there and Hawaiian back....Alaska Air was much better. We paid for extra comfort seats on Hawaiian and thought the seats were very uncomfortable but did have extra leg room.

We flew Southwest and American extra comfort, and we've also flown Hawaiian in the past.
I was worried the SW flight would be cramped but it actually wasn't bad at all. We flew Phoenix-Oakland-HNL..... The entertainment and wifi on the American flight wasn't working on our flight so that was disappointing.

Depends on what city you're leaving out of, but either Hawaiian or Alaska. My wife and I are here in Sacramento and we take Hawaiian to Honolulu because it's direct (and we're DVC staying at Aulani when we go). Alaska is my personal favorite, but flies direct from Sacramento to Maui. If you're in any market other than LAX or SFO and looking for direct, Alaska and Hawaiian are the best!

We are already looking for flights for next year. We are taking either Alaska or Hawaiian to Maui, and United back from Honolulu. Both nonstop flights. I was looking at Southwest, but they only have about two flights a day for the airports/routes we were looking at (unless that changes next year) so I would rather take an airline that has more options out in case of issues. Both Alaska and Hawaiian to Maui from San Jose were the same price, and get us in to Maui nice and early. We are flying United from Honolulu back into San Francisco because it is the earliest flight, and we just want to get home at a decent time, plus my husband has status so we get free luggage and early boarding.

Last month we flew SW to LAX then flew American to HNL as it was the cheapest option. I love SW, but I couldn't imagine being on one of their planes more than 3 hours.

Lot's of ways to measure "better". On our trip a couple weeks ago from SFO, we used Hawaiian outbound and Alaska return. Note that Hawaiian leaves from the International terminal. The seats on Hawaiian seemed to be wider and on a longer pitch. That gave us a lot more space. Plus, they fed us without charging us more once in the air. This also meant that they planned to have enough for everyone on board, which was a problem with Alaska. Alaska ran out of everything but snacks by the time they got to our row. Alaska, on the other hand, does not charge fees for checking carry-on sized bags nor for a box of pineapples back to the mainland. You have to buy food on the plane though. For entertainment, HA has the seat-back monitors that worked well. Alaska has you using your own device and their Wifi--which didn't work all that well.

For us, HA was better, but we just select by the best price/schedule really. Also, it's nice to fly out using HA to kind of get into the vacation mode early.

Unless something has changed Southwest has only two bathrooms, no power jacks, no food and no entertainment. Fine for two hours, not for 6

Unless something has changed Southwest has only two bathrooms, no power jacks, no food and no entertainment. Fine for two hours, not for 6

First time my wife and I went to Orlando, we flew Southwest from Sacramento to San Diego then San Diego direct to Orlando. About the same flight time as San Diego to Honolulu. There is a reason we now take Alaska Airlines into Orlando ...

We loved our experience with Hawaiian out of Long Beach! It just happened to be the inaugural flight from that airport... A big party with snacks, leis, and goodie bags! However, aside from that, the service on the flight was excellent. We had boxed lunch snacks and offered drinks/addt. snacks multiple times. Very attentive!
Flying out of Long Beach was a dream compared to LAX. Very small, quaint airport...extremely easy to navigate.

Just got back. Flew SW from SJC to OGG, then HNL back to OAK. We loved it. They have free live TV, recorded TV (like The Office), and free Movies on their app. Also, these 737-800’s had better legroom it seemed than the 737-700’s we usually get stuck on...

I'm a Hawaiian Air fan. They just seem to have a better "vibe" that matches the islands. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there. Lots of food. And POG to drink! Can't remember the entertainment packages, but I know they had them.

Alaska does have the ability to watch a lot of shows and movies on your tablet/phone IF you download their app before you're in the air....and it's free. But from the gate to the plane to baggage, they don't have that magical feeling that Hawaiian gives you.

I flew SW from OAK to HNL last month and it was just fine. I chose an exit row, so I had more leg room, but there was WIFI and onboard entertainment. In addition to beverage service, they handed out a larger snack pack during the flight. It had cheese/crackers, fruit snacks, pretzels and Milano cookies. They also had Kona beer and Mai-tais available for purchase.

I've flown Alaska, Hawaiian and just last week we did SW to Maui. Alaska and Hawaiian are better, and I think both serve a meal. SW only gives you a pack of snacks with crackers, cookies, and gummies. On our outbound flight they only did drink service once during the whole 5 hours. I would still fly SW if they were significantly cheaper though, you can always buy a meal at the airport and bring it on the plane. Also with SW, bags fly free. I actually think that is a bigger perk than the meal.

We loved our experience with Hawaiian out of Long Beach! It just happened to be the inaugural flight from that airport... A big party with snacks, leis, and goodie bags! However, aside from that, the service on the flight was excellent. We had boxed lunch snacks and offered drinks/addt. snacks multiple times. Very attentive!
Flying out of Long Beach was a dream compared to LAX. Very small, quaint airport...extremely easy to navigate.

Glad to hear LGB now has direct flights to Hawaii! We are likely headed to Aulani next spring and I HATE LAX. Will look into Hawaiian Airlines out of LGB!

Glad to hear LGB now has direct flights to Hawaii! We are likely headed to Aulani next spring and I HATE LAX. Will look into Hawaiian Airlines out of LGB!
It was AWESOME compared to LAX! Our prices were cheaper, but it is sometimes higher out of LGB, too. You know the airline game...just keep a watch! I wish you the best!!

Have taken Hawaiian and Alaska and agree with most of the folks here. HA seats felt more spacious, and the meals were included - just got into the vacation mood early on their planes.

Hawaiian Air for sure. We are hardcore Alaska Air fans (we live in Seattle) but for Hawaii, they don't cut it for us. Even the Premium seating on Alaska isn't as good as Hawaiian. HA has a TOTAL Hawaiian/tropical vibe from the minute you get on the plane. More importantly though, it's the price. Alaska fares are outrageous compared to HA, by hundreds of dollars per person. Do a price comparison and you'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter