Best Ages for WDW

I could never understand the “the kids won’t remember” argument. *I’LL* remember!! Our first trip was when the kids were 2 and 4 and we had a blast! I’ll never forget the pure joy on their faces experiencing the characters, the parades and rides for the first time. When they are that age, the magic is 100% real for them.

I think this is true if you'll be back. For a family flying from literally, the other side of the world I'm guessing who may not ever make it back, "yeah you were two little but here are some great pictures" isn't what they're going for. My parents took me to California when I was just under 2. It's a running joke in our family, because I'll say something about wanting to go and having never been and they'll say "Yes, you've been, see here's the pictures." In that case we went when I was that young, because my dad had a conference and my mom could fly with me as a lap baby, but if they'd thought of it as a true family vacation, I'd hope they'd wait until I was at least 4 so I'd have some vague memories of it.

I think this is true if you'll be back. For a family flying from literally, the other side of the world I'm guessing who may not ever make it back, "yeah you were two little but here are some great pictures" isn't what they're going for. My parents took me to California when I was just under 2. It's a running joke in our family, because I'll say something about wanting to go and having never been and they'll say "Yes, you've been, see here's the pictures." In that case we went when I was that young, because my dad had a conference and my mom could fly with me as a lap baby, but if they'd thought of it as a true family vacation, I'd hope they'd wait until I was at least 4 so I'd have some vague memories of it.

We had no intention of ever going back. My husband is not an amusement park/crowd person at all. It was a one and done for us and we wanted to go during an off time before our oldest started school and while the magic/characters etc were still real to them. Which is how we ended up there when they were 2 and 4. We even came home not thinking we go back even though it was amazing but it was actually my husband that brought up going back months later. Disney is so awesome it even convinced him!

So to say “you’ll never be back” is never a guarantee imo. I just feel like if you want to go when they are little - go. They might not remember it but you will. And who knows maybe you’ll be back even if it’s 15 yrs later. Or maybe you’ll be back the next year. Nothing is guaranteed.

We have gone about every 3 years for the past decade as the kids have grown. This year DS's will be 14, 11 and 11 and they are looking forward to more freedom, more pool time ( Stormalong Bay ) , and food. Us parents are looking forward to not having to tag along on every bathroom visit, if they want to grab a drink, if they need to run back to the room from the pool etc. All have travelled both with us and without us, oldest even to Europe with a school trip so they are much more independent... So it will be less management from that standpoint and more enjoying everyone's company.
I think every age category has it's own highlights.

I agree with waiting until the youngest is 5 if it's really a once in a lifetime trip. The reason is that the kids should be old enough to understand that if they are tired, hungry, whatever, they should speak up and you will take a break. My son has only gotten to that point now at 5. Before that, he would just have a meltdown. Between the heat and all the stimulation, WDW is a lot for small kids to handle.

I don't subscribe to the idea that kids should be a certain age to "remember" trips though. There's no guarantee that anyone will or won't remember a particular trip even if they are an adult. So I look at all potential trips through the perspective of whether my son will enjoy them -- not whether he will remember them.

Ages 7 - 11 are ideal for WDW, as they're young enough to enjoy everything without cynicism, but they're old enough to ride most of the rides.

We brought our triplet boys to Disney at age 7. They LOVED it. This was the perfect age. I took my now 15 year old when he was 4 1/2 and he enjoyed it as well, but it was honestly more work with just one 4 year old, than our three younger sons. Plus, he doesn’t remember ANY of it. I remember it, and while I’m still glad I brought him, he no longer wants to go at almost 16. I missed the best age to take him, which I agree 100% is 7-11. It’s a lot of money to go, especially if you are traveling from Australia, so I would wait until they are at an age that will make it the most enjoyable and memorable for everyone.

Wait that is not a big age gap between kids so you could wait four years and have an 8,6 and 4 year old big enough for most rides and two are fully toilet trained which would make flying a little bit easier also.

5,7, & 9 if you are considering a dining plan. Tickets to the theme parks and cost of dining plan go up at age 10.

I don't think there is a bad age...it's just different depending on what stage your kids are going through which is not necessarily a certain age. I am not in the camp of "going when they'll remember it". My first trip to WDW was in 1975 when I was in college and WDW was just a few years old. I went with friends and remember how beautiful the Castle was and a few rides and of course the paper tickets A-E for the rides. So when we take our family on a multi-gen trip this spring, the timing was decided by the adult kids who wanted the 4 year-old and the two 5 1/2 year olds to get totally immersed in the magic (not that the rest of us won't!). The 13-month old will be along for the ride but we'll enjoy her reaction to it all. So really no "best" age IMO...something to enjoy each visit. And really, we are doing this trip for Napa and Papa too!

Hi Dis Fans! I’m a total Disney tragic and as normally happens I’ve instilled that in my two daughters (4 & 2). We have a baby due in November and thinking about doing a Disney trip in the next year or two. My wife thinks it might be best to wait until the kids are older as they’ll be able to go on more attractions and remember the trip (considering we’re coming from Australia and it’s going to be $$$).

So - what age do you think is best to take your kids to Disney if you’ll blow your 5-year holiday budget on one trip?!

Can’t wait to get people’s thoughts!
Wait till the kids are 8, 6, and 4.

I found 4 to be a really good age for the younger one. My DD was tall enough for the 40'' rides and really loved the trip. She didn't really like any of the 40'' rides though lol, but she's kind of a wimp. We're also kind of wimps so didn't want to do any rides with over a 40'' height limit anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter