Best age for child's first visit to WDW? Poll Inside!

Best age for child's first visit to WDW?

• 1 year old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 2 years old

Votes: 51 15.4%
  • 3 years old

Votes: 35 10.6%
  • 4 years old

Votes: 67 20.2%
  • 5 years old

Votes: 91 27.5%
  • 6 years old

Votes: 31 9.4%
  • 7 years old

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • 8 years old

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 9 years old

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 10+ years old

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
Everyone in my family has to wait until they are 5...gotta be able to Hang when you go to Disney. Seriously though, I don't want to push a stroller or have to leave in the middle of the day for a nap. We tend to have a commando spirit and Disney til we drop.

I'm going to be the outlier here. I chose age 9, but really anywhere between 8-10 I think is good. There's always something to do at Disney for any age, but if you had only one chance to go, I would pick an age that would be memorable for both of you.

My son was a month shy of age 5 on his first trip. It was awesome and magical, but he doesn't remember much now, and there was a lot we skipped because he was too young and we had limited time. For this trip at age 10, he already has been far more engaged. He's been reading guide books, surfing the website, helping pick out the resort and the restaurants, and discussing other plans with me. He's finally at an age where he will get the maximum "experience" out of the parks. Old enough to choose any ride he wants to go on, old enough to appreciate more educational attractions like those at Epcot and the World Showcase, etc. At the same time, he's still young enough that he's not "too cool" yet and is still super excited about the magic and seeing much of Disney for the first time.

I suppose I'm also partial to an older age because I was 10 for my first trip and I remember it very fondly. In fact I can recall it far better than even my second trip which was at age 18!

My oldest is 27. She has been going since she was 2. My youngest is 22. She has been going since she was 1. They have both been more than 20 times. Every age has been great. Every age has been different - but has been great. I let the kids direct things when they were young. One year, it was all about seeing characters - so we did that most of most days. Another year it was rides - so that's what we did the most of. And we did it all bringing a stroller into the park only once.

Voted 3 yrs, but i dont have kids yet so maybe a different perspective.

I can't imagine pushing a stroller around MK on a busy day, holy moly. It's like a parking lot of strollers in Fantasyland, and im hopping out of everyones way already!

I'm not trying to pick on you; this is a common idea- waiting until the kids are past stroller age, but well, some kids never reach that milestone.

I'm sure you don't mean to imply that disabled children don't belong at WDW.

Again, I'm not trying to pick on you. It is more that this thread got me thinking how every child is differently-abled. There's just no one size fits all answer to this topic.

Maybe I should add that I strongly recall going to WDW when I was three and four. Part of what I remember about my age 4 trip was that I already knew what I liked/disliked about each attraction.
Another funny thing is that the Haunted Mansion has always been one of my favorite attractions! I've just always loved the special effects, especially the séance room.

The other funny thing, was that every trip, as far back as I can remember, was always a learning experience for me. Even at age 3, I wanted to know how everything worked. Even when I was too young to ride Space Mtn I still wanted to understand how it worked.

Also as far back as I can recall, we had to prioritize and figure out what to see when. As far back as I can recall, I learned about compromising and prioritizing at WDW. We had to agree on rides and food, and I couldn't get every toy I saw. So it also drives me a little nutty when folks say WDW isn't educational.

Last edited:

I'm not trying to pick on you; this is a common idea- waiting until the kids are past stroller age, but well, some kids never reach that milestone.

Again, I'm not trying to pick on you. It is more that this thread got me thinking how every child is differently-abled. There's just no one size fits all answer to this topic.

Oh... you just reminded me of one of the saddest stories I've heard recently.

A friend of mine is divorced with a severely disabled adult daughter (non verbal, walks slowly, wears diapers). He also has a teen son. Whenever his ex-wife wants to spend time with their son, he routinely insists she has to include their daughter as well.

So, recently, the ex and her new husband took both the young people to Walt Disney World. Reasonably, they purchased a wheelchair for their daughter. According to the teenage son (who normally provides most of the nursing care for his sister), they left her strapped into it all the time. Even back in the hotel room, they'd park her in front of the TV, still strapped in. And when they got home, they continued this practice.

She doesn't walk well, but she does walk. And I've seen how she enjoys puttering around! To think of taking her to Disney World, which is supposed to be a magical fun experience, and leaving her tied to a chair all the time, is heartbreaking.

Apparently she was very agitated and distressed by the time she got back home to her father. As was her brother (he's a really good kid). :(

Not saying that whatsoever. Of course disabled children belong at WDW. They should be able to go anywhere.

Im not saying my answer of 3 is right, as i said I don't have kids yet. So when I do, we might feel the time is right for them to visit Disney earlier, or maybe it will be our decision to go later, i really don't know.

My point was that the idea of pushing a stroller round MK on a busy day (see: summer, march break) seems like it could be daunting. Ive been smashed in the foot more than once at MK. Please don't read anything more into what i've said.

3-4 but we took our son as early as 6 months. Our daughter was 3 her first trip and although we mainly only rode Dumbo and Small World 1000 times, the magic of meeting Mickey and Minnie at that age is Priceless. Now that she is 5 she enjoys the rides and shows but is catching on to the characters not being "real". Each stage is completely different and completely wonderful. Our son is 2 now and I can't wait to take him now that he can enjoy it.

I voted 4. They don't need stroller, diapers, baby food/bottles or lots of napping and they will remember the trip a bit. And this is if a WDW trip isn't going to be a regular or frequent trip for your family. If you will go often then taking a baby where they won't remember isn't really a problem. But if it's a once or twice in a lifetime trip...wait until at least 4 so they remember. But also don't wait too long where the magic is no longer a thing for them...ie: my brother was 12 and not impressed. I was 7 and it was magical for me.

Last edited:
I voted 4. They don't need stroller, diapers, baby food/bottles or lots of napping and they will remember the trip a bit. And this is if a WDW trip isn't going to be a regular or frequent trip for your family. If you will go often then taking a baby where they won't remember isn't really a problem. But if it's a once or twice in a lifetime trip...wait until at least 4 so they remember. But also don't wait too long where the magic is no longer a thing for them...ie: my brother was 12 and not impressed. I was 7 and it was magical for me.

Oddly my son's trip when he was 4 was more challenging than when he was 2 or 3.
At 4 .. because he is mobile, he was "anxious" to run off.
My son literally took off when the stormtroopers scared him and came his way. I had to sprint after him :)
At 4 .. because he was starting to get more independent there were lots of complaints about being tired, hot, food, rides or the next thing to do.
No melt downs, just a lot more "annoying" than his earlier trips.
At 4 .. they are much more "gimme gimme" in the stores, which makes shopping less enjoyable.
It was fine, we had spending limits set, but he was just learning he can't have everything he wants, a good lesson, but one you have to get through via whining.

At 2 or 3 .. they are pretty much locked into a stroller, but can get out and wait in line with ease, but they aren't old enough to REALLY complain yet or voice any opinions. For the most part they sit there quietly and take it all in with awe. Diapers aren't a huge deal, and in some ways make bathroom breaks more predictable. Though we did have a blowout and the spare change of pants we thought we had in the bag wasn't there .. so ya .. my son was running around DHS in just a diaper for a few hours :(.

As for the stores, when they are that young, they don't care if you get them a balloon or a giant stuff animal at the store. ONE item (make your own lightsaber) was enough to satisfy him for the whole trip.

In reality .. there is no best age .. as long as they go .. like you said .. before the magic wears off and they become that roll your eyes teenager (that we all were at one time when going on family trips).

I asked this question a couple of years ago as I was plotting and planning to take my niece. I ended up choosing 3.5yrs. I think 4.5yrs might have been a bit better (so I voted 4) but this is what worked for our lives, general plans, etc. We knew we'd only manage to take her maybe a few times in her life so I was spent a long time considering her age, etc. I knew it absolutely had to be between 3 and 5 because I desperately wanted to take a little kid to Disney. I had expected to be a one and done family so I waited until my own kids were 8/9.

I must say - it was so incredibly magical through the eyes of a little kid (and so incredibly exhausting too - even with 6 pairs of hands to manage one little girl!). We went for two whole weeks and it was wonderful. Given that we were forced to move very slowly, it was wonderful to feel like we had so much time. And we STILL missed out on a bunch of attractions!

She was on the young side because she has some major speech delays and several other issues so it would likely have been better to wait another year or so. Then again, DH is dealing with some major health issues now and who knows when we would actually be able to go. I'm thrilled we took the opportunity to go this year and I didn't put it off any longer. It was beyond amazing to be at Disney with a young child!!

I say 4 is the youngest IF you don't plan to go back again any time soon. If you are going back every year then I would say age 3 is the youngest I would prefer.

Our first trip was when my girls were 14months and almost 3. It was great because they were free. But, also they loved it. They were in awe of everything and it was so magical. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about the 4 of us experiencing Wishes for the first time as a family. They might not remember it, but my husband and I do.
I think any age is great, but like previous posters said if it is going to be the only trip then maybe wait a bit. My daughter at 3 seemed to be the perfect age for a first trip. It can be a very different experience at different ages. My son's fist trip he was 21 months. He had a blast, but we had to stop at every play area and let him splash in the fountains a lot! It was a different trip, but still amazing.

I voted for 3. We waited until both kids were 3 before taking them each for the first time. I feel like they are old enough to really enjoy it by then. We go every two years and everytime we go back they are ready for new things and enjoy new things. I'm really glad I went when they were that little. Things change quickly. My daughter loved the princesses when she was 3, but by the time she was 7, didn't want any part of the princess thing. I'm also glad we had the trips where they were all about the characters, because that has faded too. They are pretty strictly riders now at 10 and 14! I'm glad they had all those experiences and they wouldn't have if we didn't take them at 3.

Oddly my son's trip when he was 4 was more challenging than when he was 2 or 3.
At 4 .. because he is mobile, he was "anxious" to run off.
My son literally took off when the stormtroopers scared him and came his way. I had to sprint after him :)
At 4 .. because he was starting to get more independent there were lots of complaints about being tired, hot, food, rides or the next thing to do.
No melt downs, just a lot more "annoying" than his earlier trips.
At 4 .. they are much more "gimme gimme" in the stores, which makes shopping less enjoyable.
It was fine, we had spending limits set, but he was just learning he can't have everything he wants, a good lesson, but one you have to get through via whining.

At 2 or 3 .. they are pretty much locked into a stroller, but can get out and wait in line with ease, but they aren't old enough to REALLY complain yet or voice any opinions. For the most part they sit there quietly and take it all in with awe. Diapers aren't a huge deal, and in some ways make bathroom breaks more predictable. Though we did have a blowout and the spare change of pants we thought we had in the bag wasn't there .. so ya .. my son was running around DHS in just a diaper for a few hours :(.

As for the stores, when they are that young, they don't care if you get them a balloon or a giant stuff animal at the store. ONE item (make your own lightsaber) was enough to satisfy him for the whole trip.

In reality .. there is no best age .. as long as they go .. like you said .. before the magic wears off and they become that roll your eyes teenager (that we all were at one time when going on family trips).
I agree with this. I found it easier when they could be in a stroller & nap or take a break or whatever vs fighting being tired, of trying to walk off, etc.

Four is the sweet spot. Old enough to do lots of things, young enough to completely believe in magic.

I would never worry about a child not remembering the trip. You will.

I so love telling my friends girls (all teenagers now) about our trips with them. Lots of stories. The oldest recently thanked me making her trips so magical.

My kids were 3 and 6 on their first trip. It was perfect and magical in so many ways and we all got hooked. So I'm going with the age range 3-6.

4 is a sweet age, old enough to not need diapers, young enough to believe in the characters and talk to the face characters and big enough for a lot of rides. But we took our first trip right before he turned 3 and it was nice that he was free. For a once in a lifetime trip, 9. Old enough to do everything but still not a Disney "adult" for pricing.

we took DGD at 17 months and she loved it!! Up early, took everyone their shoes and bags and got in her stroller (only in a diaper).
I am glad we took her then.
She has gone at 2 1/2 and 4 and loved every time. Each is different and she likes different things each time....well, she likes it all, but has different things that are her favorites. Last time it was all the coasters

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter