Best 1 day Christmas experience

laundry

Mouseketeer
My mom and I are looking to spend the day at one park to get the best Christmas experience without park-hopping. We will probably get in around 10 am and stay until 8 pm because we catch a flight at 10:30. MK closes early this day for the party which, of course, we can't attend. We thought about maybe staying at MK until close and checking out Disney Springs after? Any specific advice on what park will be most festive for the holidays? I know DHS has the Xmas show, but sadly I think we'll have to leave before it starts. Are the countries at Epcot decorated heavily?

Thanks for all of your help :)

I assume you mean that MK will be closing at 6 pm for the party? So that leaves you maybe 2 hours for some other activity before heading to MCO for a flight? I agree going to DS may be tight in 2 hours, but hopping on a monorail would be easy and fun!

In my opinion the best option would be to try to get a dining reservation somewhere in MK just before it closes so you can stay, have dinner, and then leave--I worry trying to hop somewhere else could eat up too much time and make you late for your flight (never underestimate how much time it takes to relocate at disney world). Next best option would be to head to one of the monorail resorts to enjoy the christmas decorations and dinner.

Personally, I would go with Epcot, enjoy Christmas around the world, walk by and hear some of the Candlelight Processional, eat a nice dinner and / or hop on the monorail to see the gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian and view the castle in the MK lit up from a distance.

We are going in December and I am a Big Touring Plans Devotee. Their Crowd Data shows that on Days when normal guests are "kicked out" at 6pm for MVMCP the crowd levels at MK are very low. If you wanted to do lots of rides you could knock out most of the park highlights at MK on a low crowd day and then try to linger with a dining reservation close to the end of normal park hours as a previous poster suggested... If you are going more for ambiance or holiday food I would pick Epcot and try to snag a Candlelight processional dining package.

I would do Epcot. It's beautifully decorated and will be holding Festival of the Holidays in addition to the storytellers in WS, Voices of Liberty singing holiday tunes and the Candlelight Processional. I think it has the most Christmas theming and activities without having to pay for the MVMCP hard-ticket event. If you'd rather go to MK, you could tour the monorail resorts (and try to get WL in there as well via boat) after MK closes. I still prefer EP over MK for regular day (non-MVMCP) holiday activities.

I would do Epcot. It's beautifully decorated and will be holding Festival of the Holidays in addition to the storytellers in WS, Voices of Liberty singing holiday tunes and the Candlelight Processional.

Absolutely agree with this. If it’s were me, I’d start by touring BC, YC, Swan/Dolphin for the resort decor (Beach Club has an amazing gingerbread carrousel), then head to Epcot through the International Gateway around 11:00 for storytellers, snacking from the holiday food booths, Voices of Liberty, get a special ornament in Germany, maybe pick up some candy from Japan for stocking stuffers, etc. If possible, maybe book a Candlelight Processional dining package with the 5:00 or 6:45 show seating. If it appeals to you, Biergarten has Christmas theming so a meal there would add some extra Christmas spirit.

Whatever you decide, hope you have an amazing day!

My husband — a die hard MK fan — had an excellent suggestion ... Spend the day at the Magic Kingdom and when you have to leave prior to the party, take the boat to Ft. Wilderness for a one horse open sleigh ride! We did this and it was magical! Some of the campsites are really decked out. If the timing works, you could have dinner at HDDR which adds Christmas songs around the holidays too.

I would go with Epcot for Christmas experience. The Candlelight Processional is quintessential Christmas. It is beautifully and respectfully done. The countries have storytellers and explain different traditions. Depending on who the narrator is, you may be able to do standby line instead of paying for a Candlelight Dining Package if money is a concern. There are stands at many of the countries selling special foods, desserts, and drinks for the season. You and your mom could share so you don't fill up too fast and try as many as you want.
You did not mention wanting to ride rides. If that is what you want, go to Magic Kingdom.
If you really want the best Christmas experience, as you said, go to Epcot.
My mom and I are looking to spend the day at one park to get the best Christmas experience without park-hopping. We will probably get in around 10 am and stay until 8 pm because we catch a flight at 10:30. :)

Absolutely agree with this. If it’s were me, I’d start by touring BC, YC, Swan/Dolphin for the resort decor (Beach Club has an amazing gingerbread carrousel), then head to Epcot through the International Gateway around 11:00 for storytellers, snacking from the holiday food booths, Voices of Liberty, get a special ornament in Germany, maybe pick up some candy from Japan for stocking stuffers, etc. If possible, maybe book a Candlelight Processional dining package with the 5:00 or 6:45 show seating. If it appeals to you, Biergarten has Christmas theming so a meal there would add some extra Christmas spirit.

Whatever you decide, hope you have an amazing day!
This sounds like a good plan. Skip Swan/Dolphin, but do Boardwalk, Beach ( & Yacht if you have time), then head in to World Showcase through the International Gateway. Skip Future World altogether.

Last edited:
THANK YOU so much to everyone for the advice! Does anyone have experience with getting to see the candlelight processional on standby? I think my mom would really love that!

The standby line for CP will depend on the day you go and how popular the narrator is. Truthfully, if you are only going for the one day, I'm not sure you would want to spend an hour plus waiting in line. That being said, we watch the CP every year and love it, but we get the dining package and have more than one day to spend at Epcot.

THANK YOU so much to everyone for the advice! Does anyone have experience with getting to see the candlelight processional on standby? I think my mom would really love that!
As stated before, it would depend on who the narrator is. If you tell us when you are going, we can give you a better answer.
I stood in standby 4 times in Dec 2016, and thought the hour in line was worth it. I love the Candlelight Processional, and think it is the best.
If your mom would love it, it is really so worth the time. You can watch a YouTube video to get an idea. The music is beautiful, and it is reverently done. You won't regret it.

Epcot of HS has all of the Christmas experiences!! I'd say Epcot is your best bet.. plus you dont need to do any dining reservations because you can snack around the world!!

I'd still suggest MK over Epcot - but maybe that's because its not a trip to Disney for me unless I go to MK. You can spend the day there until the party kicks you out. Try to book a couple FPs at 4 and 5 pm. To others, I'd then suggest riding the monorail to see those resorts all decorated for Christmas.

Personally, I'd be at MK until the last possible minute, pick up my car from TTC and drive to GF parking lot, eat at Citrico's or Grand Floridian Cafe, enjoy the gingerbread house and swing through the resort shops, and be off to the airport.

In context, we think the Candlelight Processional is great for folks who want to commit a large chunk of time to the event. For us - waiting in a standby line for that is NOT going to happen. If we had a leisurely trip of 4-9 days - we might go, or if we were local AP holders. But for a short trip - we'd have other priorities! Some of the storytellers are great, some are just so-so. Also, since we spend practically zero time in the shops in WS, for us, the touring around WS can be cold if its cold out that day if we don't have enough indoor stops planned. Most of the park is decorated for Christmas and the food booths can be fun. So - if you are looking for the holiday feel, yes, you will get that.

Given your time frame and having to get to the airport, I think I would stay at Mk and do as a previous poster suggested- maybe have a dinner reservation at Be our Guest or somewhere inside MK so you can stay a little later. Then maybe hop on the monorail and go to Grand Floridian and see the life sized gingerbread house and decorations there- they are beautiful.
Park hopping can be VERY time consuming- depending on crowd- and the time it will take is very unpredictable.
If you didn't have a flight to catch- I'd say hop over to Epcot-

We go every year for Christmas. Frankly, there's nothing like MK during the Christmas season. There's just something so magical about it. Frankly, though, taking into consideration that you'll be there on a party day, I'd skip it. You're not going to get your moneys worth at MK for the day and I think you'll be disappointed by the amount of Christmasy things during normal, non-party hours.

Epcot is a lot of fun, but take away the snacks and drinks and storytellers, and I'm not sure you can fill an entire day there.

AK is the weakest park in terms of Christmas.

Now, having said all that, my recommendation is Hollywood Studios.

IMO, having seen all things it's added for the holiday season, DHS has asserted itself as the best park for the holidays.

1) You have tons of seasonal snacks and drinks.

2) There's plenty of entertainment: Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM; Sunset Seasons projection show; or you can go with the normal Fantasmic! and Star Wars fireworks.

3) Toy Story Land has decorations and the characters are dressed for the holidays. Also, if you haven't seen TSL yet, you knock off two birds with one stone.

4) Echo Lake is decorated for the holidays, as well.

I'd do DHS for the day. If there's time at night (or you need a break) head over to the Boardwalk area. BW, BC, and YC all have fantastic decorations. Swan and Dolphin also have beautiful displays, although I can't remember if Dolphin(?) still puts up the poinsettia tree with the new Phins bar there.

We had one day at Disney the day after Thanksgiving last year. Dd15, me and dh. We knew MK would be busy so we chose EPCOT. It was a fabulous day and we stayed from opening to closing taking our time with as many storytellers and Christmas features as we could and still did not see everything. We watched Illuminations, rode the headliner rides without Fastpasses -did single rider when needed, waited in line for Candlelight Processional- jumped in when the line was starting to get big and did have to sit on the wall, but it was still great just to experience it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter