Benefits of Annual Pass??

DancesWithCats

Earning My Ears
We currently have the DVC Gold Pass that will be expiring in late March, and are trying to decide if it is worth renewing. As I understand it, the benefits are free parking, discounts to specific restaurants, and stores, (10%, I think), and discounts on resorts. Are there any other advantages, or benefits that I might have missed? We have taken advantage of the pass by visiting WDW 3 times this year, but it looks like the other benefits are pretty much the same as the DVC benefits. If we renew now, it looks like a pretty big savings. What else am I missing?

We currently have the DVC Gold Pass that will be expiring in late March, and are trying to decide if it is worth renewing. As I understand it, the benefits are free parking, discounts to specific restaurants, and stores, (10%, I think), and discounts on resorts. Are there any other advantages, or benefits that I might have missed? We have taken advantage of the pass by visiting WDW 3 times this year, but it looks like the other benefits are pretty much the same as the DVC benefits. If we renew now, it looks like a pretty big savings. What else am I missing?

Don't forget the discounts for certain tours, as well as the merchandise discount being 20% at the moment.

HERE and HERE are links to the extra benefits you get with an AP.

Last edited:

When is your next trip? If its more than 60 days its not even worth renewing and just wait and rebuy when you go again.

I’ve never renewed, but have had several AP’s.

If your typical trips were late March ‘17, October ‘17 and early March 18 you would buy the 1st renewal in 18, 2nd in ‘19 and 3rd renewal (4th AP purchase) in Mar ‘20.

You may be money ahead by waiting until October ‘18 to buy your 2nd AP (and use it on Mar ‘19 and early October 19) and then buy the 3rd AP in Mar ‘20...

It may be worth it for just one of you to renew your AP. Resort discounts, free parking, merchandise discounts, being able to purchase the Tables on Wonderland Discount Card, event discounts and many more that I can't even recall.

If you aren't traveling within a month or so of your renewal date, it may work out better to let it expire, and then buy it new when you next need it. It might cost a little more, but gives you the extra time to use it. So if it expires in April 18, but you are planning trips in Nov 18 and Jan 19, then if you wait until Nov to buy a new one, you could buy one in Nov 18 (non-renewal) and then potentially book another trip between Jan and Nov 19. If you 100% definitely aren't going to travel between April 19 and Nov 19, then you wouldn't gain anything by buying a new pass, and would do better to save the $30 or whatever it is by renewing.

Benefits? The only one that really matters is park admission. Anything else is subject to change. If you will visit enough during 366 days the pass is valid (usually about 10 days, less for DVC) to breakeven, then the AP makes sense. Anything other than admission is just a bonus. Free parking and Photopass downloads look like they will be around for a while, but you never know. And dining/merch discounts can and will change, as we just saw when they dropped from 20-10.

I’ve never renewed, but have had several AP’s.

It may be worth it for just one of you to renew your AP. Resort discounts, free parking, merchandise discounts, being able to purchase the Tables on Wonderland Discount Card, event discounts and many more that I can't even recall.

This is me. I let mine expire and have a little "downtime" both financially and from Disney. I let new stuff roll out and then come back later. I've also done just me for AP (for reasons above) and everyone one else on tickets and sometimes we all have AP. This year only I will do AP since the kids are getting too old and too busy to go back many times.[/

Can anyone tell me if the DVC Gold Pass allows entry into any of the water parks??? Thanks!

A question I've always wondered. If you have annual passes, can you not book packages? Do you have to do room only reservations?

A question I've always wondered. If you have annual passes, can you not book packages? Do you have to do room only reservations?

You can book a package, however you would essentially be double paying for your theme park tickets - you would have your AP plus you would have the tickets from the package. There are some very nice room only discounts for AP holders so it would be the most cost effective to utilize your AP and get a discounted room only reservation.

You can book a package, however you would essentially be double paying for your theme park tickets - you would have your AP plus you would have the tickets from the package. There are some very nice room only discounts for AP holders so it would be the most cost effective to utilize your AP and get a discounted room only reservation.
OK, thank you. I was not aware there were room discounts for pass holders. That helps.

and I keep forgetting to factor this into my calculations, but is essentially a park hopper too.....so if you are on the fence, see how much park hoppers would cost as well for your days....

and yes AP room discounts! I always look longingly at the free dining promotions, but then I realize that it would still be more expensive for me.....

I am a year on/year off person, I usually get 2 trips out of an AP, we always go for Food and Wine, so last year we went in October, this year we are going in September, and we won't renew, but get one for NEXT year's F&W....

The biggest benefit of an AP to me is the ability to stop in the park for an hour or two to eat or ride one ride without feeling like I "wasted" a whole day's admission. I got an FOP FP later in the evening for the day we arrive. I'll go in the park for a couple of hours. Something I would not do without an AP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter