Being asked to show scars at security... Thoughts?

So security people at Disney are now trained to know if a scar is from a particular op?

I know. My parents both have cards for metal in their bodies. If you are going to go somewhere that you know had metal detectors, why wouldn’t you carry that? It’s absurd to expect security to just trust you when you say you have had XYZ surgery. Formally hey know you have a weapon of some sort strapped to you under your clothes.
Not every hospital provides such a card and for those that have them, the cards can easily get lost, etc.

Additionally just having a card proves not his, as like all documentation the truly bad guys can simply forge it.

Whether or not titanium sets off the metal detector depends on the type of metal detector, so an implant that sets off one might not set another.
https://www.verywell.com/will-a-metal-implant-set-off-metal-detectors-2549530

It would make sense to tell the guest, “I can either use the wand or you can show me your scar. Which would you prefer?”
It would also make sense to look at the scars if the guest offers.
But, to go straight to “show me your scar” doesn’t make sense.
Exactly, now if I had metal in my knees, chances are good that they could see the scars because I almost always wear shorts to the parks. So, it is simplistic, but for the OP, I think security was way out of line.

I think everyone recognises and greatly appreciates the need for security at somewhere like Disney and that isn’t the issue here.

It doesn’t seem to happen anywhere else at Disney, just this one park entrance, so it isn’t an operational policy. It’s inconsistent and potentially distressing. What if you’re wearing something that isn’t easily rolled up to the knee? What do they do to comply with (their own, it seems) security procedure then? Why only knees? Why not hips and spine pins and everything else that could be replaced?

The solution would be simple - just do the wanding after the person says no.

Interesting that happened. My Mom had a knee replacement in December, and her first trip back will be september. She will be in shorts, so should be able to visually see it then, but I know she would not be happy showing the scar (even though she is happy to show friends and family). We have gone to Disneyland several times since the surgery. We have had a mix of things happen (from just being asked if she had a knee replacement since it went off at that point on the detector, to wanding her down). Those are fine. I do try to go in front of her and warn security that she had a recent knee replacement and will set off the alarm. I think they appreciate the heads up.

As an HR professional, I can say that the request was not only inappropriate but surely against Disney's policies. A request to see a guest's body in such a manner that would require her to remove any article of clothing to expose bare flesh is inappropriate. While I don't think the cast member had any intent beyond doing his/her job and ensuring the safety/security of all guests, He/She was overzealous in doing so. Furthermore, I'm willing to bet this a violation of any policies that Disney has around how guests with disabilities should be processed through security and just treated in general. I'm really sorry that your mother had to experience this kind of treatment. I would contact Guest Relations and make them aware of the experience.

Pfft...my mom had a knee replacement and she would be DELIGHTED if security asked to see her scars. She shows them off to anyone and everyone, unprompted. Sometimes, she will give a courtesy of asking "do you want to see my scar?", before she lifts her pants leg, but most of the time, no. She likes to talk about her medical issues to anyone who will listen, and show her various scars and wounds as well.

My mom...:rolleyes1

I think we have the same Mom. Mine is happy to show anyone her scar whether they ask or not.

Oh, you poor thing. My mom uses preboarding too, and wheelchair assistance through the airport, because she's "disabled"...because she had a knee replacement surgery 5 years ago.

She likes the attention. Sigh.

We definitely have the same Mom! Although my Mom's surgery was only 4 months ago. But she has been playing the disabled card for years. Love her, but have days I want to wring her neck.

Definitely bizarre. I have metal in my hip, and I haven't been asked to show my scar even at major international airports. I've gone through a security screening by the Secret Service while attending an event for a sitting First Lady of the United States, and they didn't ask to see my scar, either.

I doubt they had any ill intentions; somebody probably just missed a day of training or something. But if it was me I think I'd probably let the Mouse know so they could address these knowledge gaps in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!